LegacyGT.com

Finally Finishing the Parts List for an Audio Install

praedet

All right, so I started purchasing parts and planning the stereo redo in my car within 6 months of purchasing it. It has now been 5 years and I think I might complete it soon ;)

So right now I have a Kenwood DNX-8120 installed in the dash as shown in this picture...

I also have an Alpine PDX 4.150 and PDX 1.1000 sitting around gathering dust. I pulled the trigger on a set of [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Focal-Polyglass-6-5-Inch-Component-Speaker/dp/B001MSI9PW/ref=xs_gb_A4GY6OXODPJAK?_encoding=UTF8&m=A232DEXWNE9181&pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04QWHQWX4SA05RZNY91B]these Focal Polyglass 165 VR Components for the front today as they are an awesome deal today on Amazon.[/ame] I will probably do the 165 CVX coaxials for the rear.

I will of course strip the interior and apply copious amounts of dampner and sound absorption material.

What I am trying to figure out...

Is it worth trying to custom fabricate a method for mounting the front tweeters in a location other than the stock one? (on the A-pillars for example)

I have made a fiberglass box before, so I am contemplating doing that an installing a JL Audio W6v2. I could also simply buy the stealth box they made for the car. Which would you do, or would you go with a different sub if the goal is SQ?

Any other things I need to think about for making a pretty good sounding set-up?

THanks,

Ted

:spin:

Cool, I have the same components in the front and same coaxials in rear. I run a soundstream rubicon 600/4 for mids and directed 2400d with 2 critical mass ss152 15 subwoofers. Mids and highs should sound awesome. These focal have amazing midbass and take the abuse all day long.. I have tried many brands in the past for door spks and Focal is the best in my book. I put tweets in factory location, but the trick is to make sure there in the hole so , the most sound comes out of tweets. I had to glue a small bracket behind tweet to the door so they would flush against the tweet grill. I tried to modify the factory bracket but that was a bad idea. I Use to have 2 Re audio 12, then 2 12w6s and now 2 critical mass 15 for the win. Any question hit me up. thanks

I'd personally move them to the pillars.. I had best results there. You might want to go -3dB on the tweets.. Focals are harsh.. nothing natural about em.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Have you heard focals before properly set-up? I have had them in two other cars and they were quite natural and non-fatiguing...

I wouldn't do the A-pillars or the stock locations for tweeters unless you'll have some time-alignment, otherwise you'll get that harsh sound mentioned. Placing them behind the woofer works best with my Focals. There are lots of threads where others learned this the hard way, search "tweeter location" I think.

If you're handy with FG fab, maybe do a small kick-panel style tweeter pod directed for imaging.

On the sub it's really tough to fabricate something higher quality than the JL Stealthbox, they're like 5/8" thick! And if you're going with a W6 anyway, why not save the time, trouble & stink? Figure you'd probably spend $100 on materials & $2-300 on the sub anyway, getting the Stealthbox isn't much more.

If you choose to do your own, why not try one of the Focal subs? Then again I've always believed the bulk of the sub sound quality has less to do with the sub than the enclosure so maybe the SB is the best route.

And for whatever it's worth I found in my car with a JL sub (sealed) in the SB location I get a nasty peak around 45 hz, maybe a standing wave? When I EQ'd it down at that frequency by about 6db the bass became much richer & more pleasant. It may just be my box tho.

I have the JL Stealthbox with 10w6v2 and quite honestly, I'm leaving it in the car when I sell it. I have not been impressed at all with the build quality of the box or output of the woofer. Woofer is crossed over ~60Hz@12db. Midbass is peaky and sluggish. Bass is boomy.

I had to redo the mounting for the box b/c the alignment for the single bolt provided was not correct. By default, it only mounts from the back right corner, so pulling on the front will cause the box to easily move (I added a second mounting bolt through the rear right fender). The wrapping job was also poor IMO. Woofer leaks due to inability to seat it properly, threads for the woofer screws strip very easyily.

Make you're own or try a Wicked CAS.

Woofer is crossed over ~60Hz@12db. Midbass is peaky and sluggish. Bass is boomy.

How much output are you expecting between 60hz & a realistic floor of 35hz? Kinda like trying to play tennis in a closet.

You won't have midbass since that's well above your Xover.

And you may have that standing wave around 45hz - in fact it may be the only frequency you're getting. Easy test - does it go away when the rear hatch is open?

I respect that you're fed up with it but if you feel like tinkering, change your Xover to 90hz and try the hatch trick. Preferably in the driveway :).

I wouldn't do the A-pillars or the stock locations for tweeters unless you'll have some time-alignment, otherwise you'll get that harsh sound mentioned. Placing them behind the woofer works best with my Focals. There are lots of threads where others learned this the hard way, search "tweeter location" I think.

If you're handy with FG fab, maybe do a small kick-panel style tweeter pod directed for imaging.

On the sub it's really tough to fabricate something higher quality than the JL Stealthbox, they're like 5/8" thick! And if you're going with a W6 anyway, why not save the time, trouble & stink? Figure you'd probably spend $100 on materials & $2-300 on the sub anyway, getting the Stealthbox isn't much more.

If you choose to do your own, why not try one of the Focal subs? Then again I've always believed the bulk of the sub sound quality has less to do with the sub than the enclosure so maybe the SB is the best route.

And for whatever it's worth I found in my car with a JL sub (sealed) in the SB location I get a nasty peak around 45 hz, maybe a standing wave? When I EQ'd it down at that frequency by about 6db the bass became much richer & more pleasant. It may just be my box tho.

Well, that is the thing. I am willing to go with the best sub for SQ, so if building a box w/ a different sub is worthwhile, I will do that. I am highly considering adding a JBL MS-8 to do all the time-alignment, but the kick panel tweets is a possibility too...

Gotcha. Everyone will have a differing view on this as to the significance of the low end in relation to the music overall. For me it's a small piece of the puzzle - I simply shoot for a nice round foundation for the music from a sub, whereas the front mains are far more important. I know for others it's the opposite, where the mains are really just augmenting the power of the low end.

So depending on your perspective about music, your emphasis on the subs should reflect their overall importance. For me, I could spend 3x as much on the sub setup & not feel like it adds to the experience significantly, so I'm very happy with a simple sealed box containing a single JL W3 10" using 600w.

Conversely, I would trade my left nut for a JBL MS8 with Focal 3-ways in custom kicks up front & a center channel setup in the dash, this would add immensely to the SQ. In fact I'm considering doing exactly that. And if I did, I still doubt I'd change the sub setup.

One other thing I thought of, those two amps fit beautifully in the front of the rear cargo tray. With some simple mods you can have a beautiful amp rack while still keeping most of the tray.

Damn, I wish you were local, I'd totally work on this with you.

^^^Yeah, I was thinking of doing the amps in the tray too!

Low end is simply a piece, as you said. I am not going to take the time to figure out 3-ways in the front, so, I am trying to have a good sounding stereo within reason ;)

I'd love the help, too bad I moved!

Three ways with TA would be the holy grail for me but I gotta say I'm really pleased with 2-ways up front, it should work well for you.

If I redid mine I wouldn't add the MS8 unless I was doing a dedicated center channel for 5.1 SS. Adding that level of control simply to move the tweeters I think would be a low return on investment so to speak.

Some cool ideas for the amp tray when you're ready. Are you ever going to actually start this thing?

Archived