LegacyGT.com

coating a catted dp

Puckman

This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to buy something like an invida catted dp and than have it sent off to be coated someplace? Recommended to do by people who have done it before? If i do this, what is the usual price to get something like this coated? Thanks!

You could PM Jeremy at Crucial Racing. They coated my Invidia Up inside and out.

I think it was something like $40-$50 for the up.

http://www.crucialracing.com/products/lgt_downpipe.php

"The pipes and flanges are coated with the highest quality metallic-ceramic thermal protective barrier available today (2000 F is its constant-heat rating and at 2400 F the coating still retains its integrity) to keep under-hood and intercooler temperatures significantly lower and to maintain higher exhaust gas velocity for more power. This thermal coating also protects the metal itself from heat and from the corrosive elements inherent in exhaust gas and, obviously, from weather elements. Extreme care is taken during the coating application process to ensure that the coating is applied consistently and will never fail."

Jeremy at Crucial racing will cut the DP before the Cat and then coat the upper half. Then he rewelds the two pieces back together. A couple of folks have had this done and it's actually not very expensive. ;) Shoot him a PM and ask for a quote though as this isn't something he does often.

Haha ^^ that's ^^ only for hardcore people :p. We have done it a couple of times where we cut the cat section and removed it, coated via our normal process (www.crucialracing.com/products/coatings.php) all of the piping pre- and post-cat, and then TIG welded it all back together. Yes, it works. Yes, you have to be pretty awesome to want to pay to have something like this done :lol::cool:

We DO do a lot of custom coating jobs despite the pinned thread in our Crucial forum on here. Basically, it has always been on an as-asked basis and we don't advertise it. We'll do downpipes, headers, uppipes, whatever. Also dispersant coatings on intercoolers, oil pans, calipers, radiators, etc.

Anyhoo -- typically we would simply not do a catted pipe and I would suggest just DEI or Thermotec wrapping from the top @ the turbo flange all the way down to just before the cat. DO NOT WRAP THE CAT!!! We do not coat these because 1) we cannot coat the inside because it would cause the cat to completely cease functioning and 2) we cannot even coat the outside of the cat because that, like wrapping over it, can cause too much heat retention and cause it to fail.

We'd rather just avoid them as I really, really do not like only coating the outside of a pipe. Plus, it still needs to be aluminum oxide blasted and it's hard to keep some of that from getting inside of the pipe even if you tape over the flanges and stuff.... somehow a little bit always seems to get though... aluminum oxide @ 120+ psi can do that I guess.

But yeah, if you have something you're thinking of getting coated and want a quote or other info, just shoot us an e-mail at CrucialRacing@gmail.com :)

Jeremy

Archived