LegacyGT.com

I stall my lgt ot

I've stalled it couple times on a hill....while going in reverse. I hate reverseing with this car.

x2. i usually stall it becasue im to quick with the clutch. i know why i do it, just old habits from years of driving fwd cars.

itd be great if the clutch wasnt so vague... and then if it wasnt so quiet.

hogzhaust has fixed one of them, but i still stall out in reverse alot. not really sure why.

i just hope the LOUD CLUNKS that i hear when i stall out isnt horribly bad for the car

I have a plenty loud exhaust, and I am stalling the car every week or two, although it is getting less frequent. I have only put 4k miles on the car since I bought it in October, and 1500 of that was bringing it home.

The clutch is very vague. Unless I am slow enough to feel the slip point, I can't tell where it is. And If I am too fast to release the clutch, and the engine RPMs aren't high enough, (somewhere between 1100-1500 RPM.. lower than that...) it will stall.

For the car having a decently heavy flywheel, and a big steel pulley on the front, the engine seems very easy to just *stop*. I understand people putting on lighter pulleys for better response, but I wonder if that would lessen the flywheel effect even more.

Oh, well. If it becomes a huge problem in the next 8-9000 miles, I'll see about a warranty claim, otherwise, I'll see about an aftermarket clutch and a lighter, single-mass flywheel in the future, and hopefully that will be much more freindly to use.

My wife's miata has a lighter clutch, and NEVER has this problem. I have been driving a manual transmission for a lot of years (at least 8-10), and not had this issue before.

I've been driving manuals for almost 20 years but when I got my LGT, I used to stall it.

It's the design of the hydraulic clutch. Vague feel or different feel at the very least. I think everyone stalls it, but you'll get used to it. I don't stall it anymore.

BTW, I brought it in to get it aligned at a local speedshop which deals with all kinds of high end performance cars. The alignment rack was about 200 feet from the garage door so the mechanic had to drive through the garage. He stalled it twice.

i do the jackass move of disengaging the clutch, not changing the gear or taking it out of gear, and then dropping it without thinking as if it is in neutral causing a huge bucking motion... but it only happens about once every 2 months...

but only stall about once every 5 months

I stalled 3-4 times in the first week, only once in the 2nd week... I don't think I'm done stalling but I am at least getting used to it. Been driving MTs for > 15 years, this one feels kinda different.

I still stall every 1-2 weeks. For me it *seems* like the problem is that the throttle doesn't respond quick enough when I blip the gas. I'm pretty used to driving the car now (2 years 36k miles) but it can still be a little frustrating - definitely NOT the easiest manual to drive. Been driving MT's for 20+ years; never stall my Miata.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I stalled mine for the first couple of weeks I owned it, as the clutch was very different than the A4 I upgraded from.

But then, every car I've owned has been a manual, and they all take some getting used to.

i stalled mine a few times in the past 2 1/2 years but anything anyone see's wrong with the lgt's tranny and clutch is simply their own error and inability....because i myself am tied for 1st with however many other people there are at simply being purely smooth....you just have to understand what goes on internally in the car and also know the gripping point of the clutch as if THE CAR WAS SIMPLY AN EXTENSION OF YOUR BODY....just takes understanding of the mechanisms and time and practice......but if you're having problems driving this car smoothly learn about what goes on in the transmission and engine..... howstuffworks.com should help.

ive stalled a few times. its way different from my accord and all my other friends cars. but im getting use to it.

i thought that my accord with a racing clutch was wierd getting use to but this one is even more. especially if i give it too much gas the car jerks back and takes off. lol my friend is having an interesting time getting use to his new wrx

I must say it does take some time to get used to, and the throttle response seems to have a delay as Scooter mentioned, but if you start lugging, just up the throttle and on the clutch pedal a bit to raise the revs. My (15 yr old) son drive my spec and has only stalled it once. This isnt rocket science.

I've only stalled 2 or 3 times when parking, once was was b/c my foot was wet and it slipped off the clutch pedal. On another thread (about shifting) a member had mention that b/c this is an AWD vehicle you should be around 2k in the rpms when taking off in 1st gear. I try to make sure I am between 1.5k and 2k when I am in 1st or reverse.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I think part of my problem, is that the exhaust growls so much, that I am trying to be careful not to rev too much, due to the outward impression of the loud exhaust. I don't want to tick off people around by seeming to be too agressive, because my exhaust tone is not inconspicuous, even at 1500 RPM.

but then, by trying to hold back, I end up letting off the clutch too fast, and with the engine revs too low. Engine stop.

Fun fun.

folks can claim ignorance is the cause, and perhaps there is an element, but I know how engines and transmissions work. It doesn't change the fact that the clutch has a more vague grip point than most others.

I've finally gotten mine titled and registered and have been driving it for the past 4 days. At first it wasn't pretty. A bit of over-revving to prevent stalling led to a jerky start and then other times when I didn't give it enough gas or whatnot. But now it's getting better. It seems like I usually start the car off in 1st around 2k with moderate clutch release to prevent a jerky start. But at 2k, it just seems higher than other manual's I've driven and then I'm also a bit worried about the clutch. Granted, I haven't smelled any clutch stink so it's not that bad.. but yeah.

I've finally gotten mine titled and registered and have been driving it for the past 4 days. At first it wasn't pretty. A bit of over-revving to prevent stalling led to a jerky start and then other times when I didn't give it enough gas or whatnot. But now it's getting better. It seems like I usually start the car off in 1st around 2k with moderate clutch release to prevent a jerky start. But at 2k, it just seems higher than other manual's I've driven and then I'm also a bit worried about the clutch. Granted, I haven't smelled any clutch stink so it's not that bad.. but yeah.

You'll learn it and when you do you'll think the clutch is actually pretty good. The feel is subtle and that is a good thing IMO.

I must say it does take some time to get used to, and the throttle response seems to have a delay as Scooter mentioned, but if you start lugging, just up the throttle and on the clutch pedal a bit to raise the revs. My (15 yr old) son drive my spec and has only stalled it once. This isnt rocket science.

No throttle delay at least on my OEM example but that doesn't stop me from stalling from time to time. The idle is low. Bring it up a couple of hundred rpm and you have all the torque you need for puttering.

Archived