LegacyGT.com

Cheating knock!

LegacyDan

Im in between tunes at the minute since i got the fmic and intake fitted, im getting some flashes of knock on my knock detector since the last revision, so i was thinking of adding some octane booster until my next revision just to be safe and see does it actually help reduce knock, my tuner says quality of gas is gone shitty lately which doesn't help matters. NF Octane booster is what some of the impreza boys get tuned with locally so it cant be that bad, im looking to get tuned with 20% meth soon and switchable maps so hopefully that will help things a lot and get the most out of my setup. Ill pull some logs before and after with the booster and see if it makes any difference.

Your car should be tuned for the actual conditions you'll be seeing the vast majority of the time. You could add booster in during your tuning stage, and if it works, your tuner will be able to up boost/advance timing... but do you plan on ALWAYS putting booster in? Every time you fill up? Because otherwise, what you titled your thread is exactly right: you'd be cheating knock. The moment you stopped putting booster in, boom. So why would you want to do that?

no i just want to do it until i get my next revision, cant get hold of my tuner guy and dont want to be having to drive it off boost until he gets back to me. Im mapped for 99ron but stuff recently seems to be at best 97ron so hopefully the booster can provide enough of an increase in quality to keep it running normal and knock free, im more curious to see how good these octane boosts actually are! i have been tuned for 99ron but recent changes to the fmic and intake obviously it needs more work to get right. Maybe ill try some of the e-tuners on here :)

Just be nice to it until you can get a new map maybe?

I'm sure the hp difference from 99 to 97 would be tiny anyways.

I get 91 as my high octane, you lucky dog you.

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

Just be nice to it until you can get a new map maybe?

I'm sure the hp difference from 99 to 97 would be tiny anyways.

I get 91 as my high octane, you lucky dog you.

It seems from my few minutes of research that US octane ratings are the average of RON and MON. so the 97 RON would be comparable to 92-93 octane in the US and 99RON would be 94-95 octane.

Archived