2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Touring:

8-passenger seating unavailable.

I thought it was in the initial unveiling bench seat would be available in all trims. That stinks.

I'm looking at the configurations and colors on the site now. Color options are very limited...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

And you have to get the touring to get eyesight? WTH! No way the Ascent doesn't make into consideration given the price and packaging over the Outback.

Looking at the packages what are the odds that in a year or two the more popular options don't turn into a package available on the premium trim. For instance the heated and cooled seats, power lift gate, and keyless start. Power gate and pushbutton start are all I really "need" from the limited trim.

I would rather not have 20" wheels...

Edited by FLlegacy

This is based on peak highway MPG, it's too hard to calculate for the unknowns :lol:. Dirty valves might reduce MPG, but probably not by much since typical driving is in high vacuum. It's the same as dirty air filter not effecting modern ECU cars MPG's at all (there are government studies that prove this).

Also city MPG increase matters a lot more, just a 2mpg increase in city pays for itself in those same 27k/30k figures. Basically if you do a lot of city driving, it will pay for itself sooner. This is because MPG masks the actual consumption, which increases exponential as you get below 20mpg. This is better displayed in gallons per 100 miles.

28mpg = 3.57 g/100m

25mpg = 4.00 g/100m

21mpg = 4.76 g/100m

19mpg = 5.26 g/100m

15mpg = 6.67 g/100m

10mpg = 10.00 g/100m

All this math flies out of the window (or rather tail pipe) the moment you step on gas. All I learned with Subarus is that when you go over 75mph fuel economy does not exist.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

And you have to get the touring to get eyesight? WTH! No way the Ascent doesn't make into consideration given the price and packaging over the Outback.

Looking at the packages what are the odds that in a year or two the more popular options don't turn into a package available on the premium trim. For instance the heated and cooled seats, power lift gate, and keyless start. Power gate and pushbutton start are all I really "need" from the limited trim.

Haha, see that's funny. I could care less about power gate and button start. The EyeSight thing is interesting though. I think the Limited 3.6 with EyeSight kisses just about 40k.

Yeah, I hear you about the 20's. I'd rather have the 18's. Bigger, stronger sidewalls. Better economy. 19 gallons of fuel, what a moose.

Finally officially confirmed:

Debut of all-new 2.4-liter

turbocharged/intercooled SUBARU

BOXER® engine with 260-hp and 277 lb-ft

of torque that runs on regular-grade fuel

(87 AKI)

Man, I'd be all over the Premium with the HK upgrade, or Limited if it wasn't for those ventilated seats. Those sound pretty nice. I just can't justify 44k, you do get a ton of things in the trim, just slightly out of my range.

I do believe they were touting the EyeSight is available on ALL trims for Ascent...

I will wait until the dust is settled on trims and options. Looks like SOA is rushing to put the word out and not everything is sorted completely yet.

Haha, see that's funny. I could care less about power gate and button start. The EyeSight thing is interesting though. I think the Limited 3.6 with EyeSight kisses just about 40k.

Yeah, I hear you about the 20's. I'd rather have the 18's. Bigger, stronger sidewalls. Better economy. 19 gallons of fuel, what a moose.

(87 AKI)

Man, I'd be all over the Premium with the HK upgrade, or Limited if it wasn't for those ventilated seats. Those sound pretty nice. I just can't justify 44k, you do get a ton of things in the trim, just slightly out of my range.

Those 2 options were things my wife enjoys about the Odyssey and we paid more for the power gate, had to get an ex-L for that. But maybe she won't care either, but the push button start is both nice and annoying at the same time, or at least Honda's implementation of it is. I don't know if Subaru's keyless system is better or worse.

(87 AKI)

Twinscroll!

Yeah 44K sounds like a lot but you also get a lot. Torn between Limited and Premium.

Not getting it in first year anyway, will be interested to see how it develops.

I do believe they were touting the EyeSight is available on ALL trims for Ascent...

I will wait until the dust is settled on trims and options. Looks like SOA is rushing to put the word out and not everything is sorted completely yet.

Yeah that was my point, but you have to buy the Touring trim in the outback to get Eyesight. Unless it is available in a package.

Looks like they are really trying to make Ascent an irresistable deal. Wonder what that will do to other models in their lineup.

Ummm, I can already imagine all the threads about dropping 2.4DI Twinscroll Turbos in BL/BP. I hope they don't tie it too hard to EyeSight.

Yeah that was my point, but you have to buy the Touring trim in the outback to get Eyesight. Unless it is available in a package.

The Outback Premium and Limited EyeSight can be had in packages. It's the same way for the Legacy - Premium models and up have packages that include EyeSight.

It's going to be a heck of a contender in the market. Really nothing comes close when you factor in AWD built with the vehicle, not added on, and all of the Nanny minders and crisp interior and exterior.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It's going to be a heck of a contender in the market. Really nothing comes close when you factor in AWD built with the vehicle, not added on, and all of the Nanny minders and crisp interior and exterior.

Seeing how badly implemented other AWD SUV's are quickly takes them off the choice list, most of them overheat and stop working in no time (see the grand tour's latest episode :lol:, and those are much higher end then say CRV's).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

That latest GT was pretty funny, and horribly sad, that aggressive driving, however slight, trips those GE-CUVs into limp mode. GE=grossly expensive. :lol:

Twinscroll!

Yeah 44K sounds like a lot but you also get a lot. Torn between Limited and Premium.

Not getting it in first year anyway, will be interested to see how it develops.

Buy it in the first year. Show Subaru you want it. And they will improve it in the future.

From what I’ve seen Subaru tends to vastly overbuild components for their use in the first year. Case and point is the CVT - they have like a 20% safety margin with the Nm expectations with the torque. And if something fails from what I’ve seen they do the right thing - even if they write a check and reimburse you for repairs done years ago.

Edited by Pilot1226

First-model-year concerns notwithstanding, I ordered my 2005 4th Gen LGTW, which was a whole new vehicle, exactly the way I wanted and it has been the best Subaru we've owned, and we've owned a lot. Even my 1998 2nd Gen LGT is still going strong. Foresters, Imprezas, other Legacys we've owned, all great cars. My point being that Subaru builds a great vehicle.

So, given Subaru's track record with/for us, I will likely order a 2019 Ascent Limited because it's likely to be the most-contented for the buck at what is likely to be the lowest price.

Once these hit the market and the pent-up demand is unleashed, I would expect "standard" content to become more optional (at more cost) in subsequent model years and prices to rise.

If consistent with Subaru's typical 5-year programmed model run, with 3rd year refresh, would expect to see slightly more model-to-model diversity and more optional cost.

All of that means that if I want to get the most bang for the buck, I'll want to get in on the first model year, again, first-model-year concerns notwithstanding, is not a concern for me

Do we know if the engine can automatically determine use of Premium (91/93) and advance timing?

I don't think the vehicle will have some kind of "mode" for 91/93, but like any modern vehicle, it should continuously attempt to learn and adapt to the present conditions (fuel, barometric pressure, humidity, etc).

So... yes. The real question is: how much leeway does the software have in adjusting to various situations? My guess is more than enough. It's a turbo vehicle already dealing with a wide range of fuel and air pressures. I think the timing and other adjustments related to 87 versus 93 are going to be tiny compared to what it can cope with.

Only if you really feel the need for more powah! The extra potential mpg won't be compensating for the higher cost, so it's really all about what you want.

If I were towing, I'd probably spring for 93. But for day-to-day driving... meh. If it's made for 87, give it 87.

First-model-year concerns notwithstanding, I ordered my 2005 4th Gen LGTW, which was a whole new vehicle, exactly the way I wanted and it has been the best Subaru we've owned, and we've owned a lot. Even my 1998 2nd Gen LGT is still going strong. Foresters, Imprezas, other Legacys we've owned, all great cars. My point being that Subaru builds a great vehicle.

So, given Subaru's track record with/for us, I will likely order a 2019 Ascent Limited because it's likely to be the most-contented for the buck at what is likely to be the lowest price.

Once these hit the market and the pent-up demand is unleashed, I would expect "standard" content to become more optional (at more cost) in subsequent model years and prices to rise.

If consistent with Subaru's typical 5-year programmed model run, with 3rd year refresh, would expect to see slightly more model-to-model diversity and more optional cost.

All of that means that if I want to get the most bang for the buck, I'll want to get in on the first model year, again, first-model-year concerns notwithstanding, is not a concern for me

That's an excellent mentality and more power to you for that! While I love Subaru and all, my 2005 LGT definitely shows all the signs and issues of being a very first model car: From turbo failure to ECU being replaced twice thanks to the relays.

So then the question becomes do you run 93 in it anyway...

We'll just have to wait and see, no point in stressing over it until at least one of forum members gets it and can test with both. Maybe someone cool will put it on the dyno and test different fuels. Years down the road, when I can get one, maybe I'll do some 87 vs 93 real road dynos :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK