LegacyGT.com

5MT Fluid: Synthetic or Extra S

bluesuby

I used the last of my Redline NS about 18 months ago, and I am thinking about the Extra S I have seen discussed here now and then. I did a Google and found a few startling items, mostly on WRX boards. Firstly, Extra S is not synthetic, which amazed me. I thought synthetic would always be state of the art. Some posters said synthetics are too slippery to work with synchronizers, but when I first replaced the original fluid with Redline NS I noticed smoother shifting. So, has anyone had great experiences with Extra S? How is it when the weather gets really cold outside? It might get to zero or single digits here but not like Canada or Minnesota.

If I go with Extra S I see Fred Beans packages their own in quart bottles. Anyone have issues with contamination when buying repackaged fluid? Also looks like if I buy a case of 12 the incremental cost of shipping isn't much at all. Since I replace the fluid every 18-24 months I'm sure I'd use all 12 quarts within 4 years or so.

FYI: I called Fred Beans to see if they still package their own and was told Subaru now packages their gear oil in 1 quart bottles. Should be available at any dealership.

According to the product announcement those 1 quart bottles are not actually Extra-S, it is an alternative to Extra-S.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

If you plan to have the car for many years, buy the drum.

Don't worry about the bottles FB's uses, they are band new bottles. Bought them many years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2619441

I found this on NASIOC which appears to have the bulletin, but there is a conversation with FBP at the bottom which makes sense to me.

The bulletin says it's an alternative to the 5 gallon pail, not an alternative fluid... The employee goes on to make valid points about Subaru having to source the new fluid etc. which all make sense.

I guess it's all a matter of interpretation but it does seem like a rather confusing transition.

How can you not trust it, it says Subaru......Certified.....High Performance on it. :spin:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/media/06/a20791c147078374c584c3_l.jpg

My wife's balls are delicious.

I think there's is a picture of the back in the thread link I posted...

I mean even if it were a different fluid, an alternative is usual as good if not better than what it is being subbed for right??

Edit: I just thought of meat alternatives...nevermind.

But anyway, I already ordered 4 quarts of this stuff so I guess I'll be the guinea pig... Cant be any worse than amsoil severe gear LOL.

I think I'll be trying Certified as well. BTW I did ask Subaru Customer Service (e mail) if it's the same as S and if it's synthetic. Their response was I should ask the parts guy at the dealership. I'm going to ask Subaru for a part time job answering e mails.

Wow, I guess I'm not surprised that you got that reply. Sad isn't it...

And they call that "customer service". You should send that reply to the guy who does the "auto repair" questions and answers int he Saturday newspaper in the automotive section. See if he can find out the correct answer. It would also give Subaru Customer Service a good review.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I visited the dealer and the parts guy had no gear oil in quarts. They use the drum when servicing cars and wasn't aware that gear oil came in quart size. He later called me back after conferring with SOA headquarters and told me the following:

Extra S and Certified are the same. It's just the labeling that is different.

If I wanted quarts I would need to buy a full case of 12. It gets shipped from a different source and it would cost me about $13/quart plus tax.

If I choose to use a gear oil from an auto store, make sure it's 75/90 synthetic.

I figure any old synthetic isn't a good idea. Redline has an NS formulated for our transmission synchronizers, and other blends for other cars e.g. MTL is recommended by Mazda.

Looks like my best bet is a case from Beans delivered by UPS ground. About $10/quart and I'm on my honor to pay state sales tax. And as stated previously, 12 ships for just pennies more than 4 quarts.

Archived