LegacyGT.com

My 2006 Legacy Specb vs 2009 Impreza STI

AZZMAN

Okay here I am again, its Spring and I am thinking of trading in my Specb for maybe an 09 Impreza STI and I want your thoughts.

Some background... i owned a 2004 Forester XT till summer of 2006. At that time the Forrester is at about the same spot my Specb is at now. The Forrester had 52k needed tires, brakes, clutch, a new rear wiper torn off by one of my shorties, new wheel berrings, and it had a few dings and scatches. About 3500 dollars in work... so I traded it in for my current whip the Specb. Now today here's what is up... Went stage II at about 6k miles I now am at 40k. I need new brakes and a clutch, the car is in perfect condition except for one rock ding on the front hood. I also have winter wheels/tires so I can prob get one more season on the OEM tires. IF i keep the Specb I want to put on a stage II brake kit and a better clutch. I think I am looking at about $2500 in work. The only maintance has been Mobil1 every 4k miles. Also I have one more year of payments and am looking forward to not having a car payment for a few years. Has anyone driven the STI or owned both cars that can shed some light on my thoughts?

Man that STI better be worth it because you are going to be making car payments for a long time!...actually what is crazy is that the people that are doing the reviews have suggested that the new impreza WRX with all its improvements is in some ways better than the STI....sounds stupid but someone was talking about that somewhere on this forum. Something else to compare and investigate.

I own a 07 spec.b and a 09 wrx. They have closed the gap pretty significantly between the wrx and sti in terms of power (.1 sec diff in 0-60 and 1/4 mile), the clutch is heavier, the springs and sways stiffer, and finally summer performance tires, the wrx even weighs less, but in no way does the wrx match the sti, its just like the lgt vs spec.b, the sti is still worth the extra cash. I still favor my legacy over either of them though.

All you guys look at is power ratings, but there is really something to be said for bigger wheels, grippier tires, lightweight suspension, close ratio gears, a stonger gear box, etc. Yes, i'm kinda sour that my wife wanted the wrx instead of an sti, but it is her car after all and she thinks she can't drive the 6-speed.

When we bought the wrx, the sti was actually cheaper. They were offering 0% and cashback on the 08 sti, no incentives on the wrx. If your not in a rush to buy then keep your eyes on the incentives each month, especially when 2010's start hitting the dealers. Also, if you are not already, get yourself into a club for vip pricing.

My buddy just bought a used 08 sti for 27k with 8k on the odo and I have driven it many times. It is just as quick as my specb stage 2 (we went from a role 4 times and if anything I was a bit quicker). I am not a real fan of the interior, but if you prefer the wider track, bigger tires, better brakes, torsen front and rear diffs, and better TMIC then the STi is your car....but at a price.

But as the previous poster stated I would not think that is worth all those payments for years to come. Plus I get emotionally attached to my car and it would be hard to let her go :)

i currently own an 08 spec b and an 08 sti, the spec b is stage 2 and the sti will be stage 2 in two weeks...i love them both, if i had to pick a spec b with no payment vs. new sti, i would keep the spec b and fix up your shortcomings and enjoy the no payments for a while..

I am at stage II with a mix of city and freeway driving everyday and I get between 19-20 mpg. If its all highway then 28 mpg.

I really like the SpecB's interior. The SpecB fits my 6'3 frame pretty good too. I would thibk the STI would be a bit more snug. I will prob stick with the Specb but I think I will take an STI out for a spin next weekend just to compare before I drop $2500 into the SpecB.

Archived