LegacyGT.com

Not impressed with my new Spec B

I was looking forward to taking my new to me 08 Spec B to a Cars and Coffee and my first ever auto cross this weekend. Over the last weekend my wheel bearing started making bad sounds and loose feelings, so I made plans to drive it to my folks garage and change it. Early this week, my radiator developed a huge leak out of the blue, leaving me unable to drive it anywhere to get it fixed. I had seepage before so I ordered a Mishimoto replacement. I had all of these parts delivered to my folks, since I was doing the work there. Even if I wanted to do the work at my house, I can't because I rent in a HOA housing development that prohibits that. I apologize, I just felt like venting. I think the car is great, but I just hope this isn't a sign of the road ahead. It currently has around 126k miles, so I was expecting this....just not all at one time. When it rains....

Not to sound like a downer, but my car was the most maintence intensive car I have ever owned. 114k miles I finally said enough and traded it in. I had to replace the radiator, turbo, Recirc Calv, and a myriad of other little things. I was not all that impressed with the long term durability of the car.

Turbo car. Buy a Camry is you want amazing reliability. And over 100k on a TURBO car.....

My car. Blown up tranny, melted turbo inlet, 2 bad wheel bearings, lower control arm bushings at 115k and its still alot more reliable than an evo. And I autocross and drag it. I think that's very reliable for the amount of abuse it takes

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You mean to tell me that the SpecB is vulnerable to normal wear, tear, and maintenance intervals?!?

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID19674/images/blasphemy_thumbnail.jpg

Seriously man, good luck getting it all buttoned up. You'll love it once it's 100%.

Agree, get the little things taken care of, watch your oil level, keep it topped off, learn how the trubo sounds, if the sound changes, have a plan in place before it blows.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea I'm sure it will be great! It has a brand new turbo on it, so I would much rather these small expenses compared to driving a boring car.

I had an SRT-4 previously....I had replaced a lot of things, but when the paint started to peel even though it was waxed twice a year, it was time to let her go. My spec b has every feature and options I could possibly need, so it is almost irreplaceable with another car in its price range

OP, You need to test drive a 05, that way you'll know how good you got it.

My Spec rides so much nicer then my wagon. Lot less noise too. But it also only has 49,000 miles on it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am sure you will be very happy with it once those issues are fixed.

I feel like I got really lucky with mine. Only time will tell how much it is going to eat into my pocketbook.

:lol:

So far though, it is everything I wanted and a little bit more.

OP, You need to test drive a 05, that way you'll know how good you got it.

My Spec rides so much nicer then my wagon. Lot less noise too. But it also only has 49,000 miles on it.

I owned an 05 LGT wagon 5eat for 3 months before my Spec B. It feels like a completely different car.

72374_10151565405897095_1639853872_n.jpg

1004621_10151748592892095_1177010398_n.jpg

Yea I'm sure it will be great! It has a brand new turbo on it, so I would much rather these small expenses compared to driving a boring car.

I had an SRT-4 previously....I had replaced a lot of things, but when the paint started to peel even though it was waxed twice a year, it was time to let her go. My spec b has every feature and options I could possibly need, so it is almost irreplaceable with another car in its price range

Power rear windows.... :hide:

More va Legacys is always a good thing! Where in va are you?!

But like what everyone else said you will love it once it's all good. But I have to say that these cars seem to be a little maintenance intensive but for as hard as we all beat on them they seem to hold up pretty well to real abuse.

Sounds like normal maintenance to me......radiator, bushings, wheel bearings......I don't know a car that doesn't require this stuff at 120k+ miles. Sorry to say, but there is no such thing as a maintenance free car.

Fix it. Upgrade if you can and go beat the bag out of it :)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

@seymourless, so i went the opposite direction of you! had an 08 spec.b for 5 years, sold it and bought an 05 LGT 5spd Limited Wagon, dark blue as well!

http://sethstyle.com/ss/08specB_web.jpg

http://sethstyle.com/ss/05LGTwagon_web.jpg

they are def different rides, a lot of it is the spec.b bilstein struts / aluminum control arms / bigger wheels. i loved my spec.b and never had intentions of getting rid of it, but needed slightly more utility than it could offer - so had to give it up. if you get everything up to snuff and maintain it properly from there, you will love it.

@ everyone: stuff will break on any vehicle with over 100k (and for that matter much younger too), and anyone should expect to have to do maintenance or replace some crap here and there~ of course there is always the 'lemon' or 'abused' car, but hopefully you have the eye to steer clear or dump this kind of vehicle...

Your new specB coming with a new turbo might be a bad sign.. Did you buy it from a dealership?

Good luck with it. I've driven my friends 07 specB and they're about the only car I'd sell my wagon to get.

Original owner traded it in at 121k. Guy I bought it from knew it had a bad turbo and replaced it.

Only car I would trade the spec b for is a Pontiac G8. I still want one, but only in a manual. Too bad they only imported 1800 gxp's with less than that being manuals, and all gts came in auto only. They are practically collector cars already.

@seymourless, so i went the opposite direction of you! had an 08 spec.b for 5 years, sold it and bought an 05 LGT 5spd Limited Wagon, dark blue as well!

http://sethstyle.com/ss/08specB_web.jpg

http://sethstyle.com/ss/05LGTwagon_web.jpg

they are def different rides, a lot of it is the spec.b bilstein struts / aluminum control arms / bigger wheels. i loved my spec.b and never had intentions of getting rid of it, but needed slightly more utility than it could offer - so had to give it up. if you get everything up to snuff and maintain it properly from there, you will love it.

@ everyone: stuff will break on any vehicle with over 100k (and for that matter much younger too), and anyone should expect to have to do maintenance or replace some crap here and there~ of course there is always the 'lemon' or 'abused' car, but hopefully you have the eye to steer clear or dump this kind of vehicle...

I focused my anger more on the car when it should have been the situation. I installed a mishimoto radiator and all is good now.

I just want to make sure this car will be reliable. Small problems here and there are alright, but leaving me stranded is another issue. Thankfully this has not happened to me yet.

Archived