LegacyGT.com

Catless 3.0R = RASP QUEEN

This was my first time ever getting exhaust work done on a car... I had my raptor headers put on and the shop gave me a run around on the phone about how the stock cats being double walled. I knew it wasn't but i figured if they put it in it might hang too low. So I had them straight pipe it all the way to the mid pipe, keeping the stock resonator and the Perrin axle-backs I had bolted on.

Got it back and it sounds like my friends Honda V6 rice burner. -_- I knew it would have some rasp but mannn this is bad. I'm going to try a a buddies TurboXS cans and maybe my stock cans first, then if it's still bad I might consider putting the stock primary cats back on or a 12" Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator after the stock Res.

Check out the quick video for sound.

https://youtu.be/A4zSDjkBlvk

Yeah that's totally catless and it's fine when coasting, but as soon as it gets some load it gets Metallicy real fast. O2 sensors, both of them installed to the straight pipe section that replaced the cats. I told the shop they didnt need to do the rears. They insisted and said it's no a big deal, and so front and rear sensors are plugged in even though I had Matt (Kido) tune the rears out. Haha

Yeah that's totally catless and it's fine when coasting, but as soon as it gets some load it gets Metallicy real fast. O2 sensors, both of them installed to the straight pipe section that replaced the cats. I told the shop they didnt need to do the rears. They insisted and said it's no a big deal, and so front and rear sensors are plugged in even though I had Matt (Kido) tune the rears out. Haha

Under car pics?

Not a shocker most N/A that are catless are raspy. Cans wont help as much as a good resonator or dual inline resonators. You could go dual inlet cat to an inline muffler that splits to your cans.

I would use something like a Borla XR1 straight thru muffler or the longest Vibrant resonator (longer the better) past the cat. If you insist on no cat i would still go with the inline muffler/resonator option and cans of you choice but they will never fully eliminate the rasp.

What swayed you to go catless to start?

I think I'll have these offset high flow cats thrown in the stock position. http://www.custom-performance.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=880#

Where should I put the resonator? Are you saying I should replace the stock one? Otherwise I know I can fit a 12" vibrant ultra quiet after the stock res.

In my OP I was saying how the shop didn't seem like they knew much about exhausts because after they had started chopping up the stock exhaust after I dropped my car off, I got a call from them saying there was a pipe going all the way through the stock cat. Obviously that's not true. The truth is, the header back section is all double walled meaning there is an inner pipe from the headers to the pre-cats and then the precats to the third cat. He suggested just tossing the cats. I figured I didn't want to lose any ground clearance by cutting into the stock cats passed the double walled piping and welding back on. He kept the stock outer pipe bends and removed the inner pipping and added larger straight pieces. Overall it was a crappy cheap job and I'm not thrilled.

Also I'll have pictures in two days of the chopped up piping job. I mean it doesn't look pretty but it flows!

Yup, factory resonator and y pipe to perrin axle backs. I've heard resonators that close to the headers and cats can cause them to fail faster.

Which should I try first to tackle rasp, add the vibrant resonator after the factory resonator or add the high flow cats?

Yup, factory resonator and y pipe to perrin axle backs. I've heard resonators that close to the headers and cats can cause them to fail faster.

Which should I try first to tackle rasp, add the vibrant resonator after the factory resonator or add the high flow cats?

I would try a long resonator, and see if that helps.

I plan on Raptor headers, catless y-pipe, single 2.5" hi-flo cat, 2.5" vibrant ultra quiet resonator, 2.5" cat-back. Hoping for little to no rasp. XRT tuned.

I am getting this done on my 2.5i 08 legacy. I talked to the tuner. They say the tune makes night and day difference. The review were unreal.

What exactly are you getting done? 5EAT tune, or headers?

Well I was skeptical at first and said well let me email this guy. With in 10 mins he hit me back. :spin::eek: That right there made me very happy service wise. now I know it would not be that way all the time but that's fine.

I explained I have an 08 2.5i N\A USDM Legacy 4EAT, he responded back and said yes we can tune the car with no problem. :D At this point I am excited. People always say there is no reason to tune an N\A car (along with all my WRX\STI friends).

I truly believe that cars that can be tuned should be. Not to the extreme for race but to run better, get more power, and better MPG also. I have a K & N filter, and Hung Li cans (axel back) I will have a tune for the motor of course, and have the 4EAT firmed up for faster, smother, and cleaner shifts.

I have tune all my cars from my 98 zx2 (vit viper tune), my RSX Type-S to my 04 STI (AMS tune by George in Chi town) and many more and loved it. I can not wait :spin:

Do you plan on removing the stock resonator and swapping it for the ultra quiet?

If this question is towards me, not sure? Assuming it is.

My exhaust setup is with intention of removing the complete factory system. From headers all the way back. If I get around to it, my setup will consists of:

Raptor headers

Custom Y-pipe with one Hi-Flo cat (most likely Vibrant)

Then purchase a 2.5 inch cat-back system for 2008 WRX sedan (non-STI)

Also a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator to make up difference in length.

Should be able to get parts+labor for $1000-1200. That's the goal. Prefer the lower end.

I will post links of what I'm thinking soon. Lot of T304 stainless cat-backs for $250-350 on eBay. No big name brand, but still mandrel bent and complete. Also I live in Florida so don't have to worry about salt or snow.

Okay so my magnaflow HFCs came in. Now what should I do as for the resonator? If I get the Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator and throw it in place of the stock resonator, will it do a better job at cutting out the rasp? The vibrant is only 14" long albeit it's not hotdog.

Id do cats up front closer to the header runner outlet flange, followed by 2 of the vibrant ultraquiets on each leg of the y, then into cbe and call it a day.

I have the setup youre contemplating and shes still a rasp queen above 4k rpm. Going to add a second ultra quiet in line since I dont want to redo all of the headerback setup again.

Alternative would be a Powerstick chamberes muffler installed against the grain or a Rasp Terminator. Both of which limit flow a bit but should work when combined with the vibrant resonator

Under car pics?

Put the car up the lift to check out the exhaust and was really disappointed. The O2 washers are rattling because they were stripped, not tightened all the way down, and i was never told. Also, The rear donut gasket is torn up and was sealed up with gasket maker it looks like. Inside the pipe, there's loose weld wire sticking out and is pretty ugly. And overall the exhaust pipe is hanging really low now. Hoping the shop owns up and fixes this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454286056.079873.jpg.0cd79e24e05cc50cc46db663c84a61e4.jpg

How much the pipe hangs low if you don't have it bent upwards after the headers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454286599.293223.thumb.jpg.d8735534952a755dfe515bc2a9cc99d1.jpg

Now for some overall exhaust layout pics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454286363.076647.thumb.jpg.8b45a89fb583e8ba08d7bffd4a8f80fa.jpg

How much room behind the stock resonator?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454286390.963039.jpg.f63692f8db7c53476bd1d17805eb950a.jpg

New offset magnaflow cats? Part number 59905

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454286525.503941.thumb.jpg.f32eb1288800fdedf8efd84fc43d3f37.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454286000.141670.jpg.cb3e01a352569385323c6aae3950ac65.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454286039.197761.jpg.cd11050d2b717a2fa95c0639ccbf91e3.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454286340.675788.thumb.jpg.84d94885cc420cbed37d37ef4ddf1888.jpg

Archived