LegacyGT.com

Insurance?

I know this is a very tough question, and will get SEVERAL varied answers as there's so many variables to take into account. But I was wondering what insurance was looking like for a 05-07 LGT 5 speed. I'm looking to spend under $200 a month. I'm on my parents insurance currently paying $110 for my '00 Legacy L without any accidents or tickets (that insurance company knows of, not going to report minor $100 fixes, and I am very careful about speeding). I'm 19 years old and live in Connecticut. If insurance is over $200, I'll probably end up going with a standard 2.5i. So if anyone is willing I'm interested in what they're paying on their GT's and 2.5i's, thanks!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try going on your own for insurance. Your parents most likely have very high coverages, which in turn makes adding you cost more. I'm through Progressive and I pay about $100/month total for all 3 of my cars. I pay in 6 month increments so I get another discount. I've been with them since I was 18, 23 now. Doesn't hurt to give some places a call to see what it would be on your own. Especially if you have a clean driving record.

As an insurance producer, I can tell you that your rates will be better when you're over 25. On that note, you have alot of things that you need to accomplish before you're really ready for LGT ownership.

Goto school, get a good job. Save your money. For now, get a car that gets you back and forth reliably -- that's not the LGT.

I would really recommend against getting an LGT, or really a GT/XT anything, unless you have the financial security to deal with the possibility of a blown turbo, short block, etc. And you WILL want to modify it... don't deny that! I've owned my OBXT for four months, and between a bad turbo waste gate, up-pipe, a tune, and maintenance Im already $2500+ in the hole. Just make sure you can afford it. I know for me no car=no way to school= no degree.

But, I drove a shitty Chevy Tahoe for 5 years, just so I could save up for this. :)

That being said, as a 21y.o. male in Chicago with a clean record I pay $133 a month, through my fathers insurance. My name is on the title and I'm the primary.

Another good idea, when you do get a car, is to put it under your parents name until you're 25, and go through their insurance. Just pay them, it'll most likely be significantly cheaper.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Just out of curiosity, those of you who are on the lower end of the rates scale, do you have your homeowners/renters or other assets insured, as well? What are your auto policy limits, if you care to disclose?

$79.30/month with $1K deductible (I insure for large losses, not small stuff), $250K/$500K liability and uninsured motorist limits (higher than state law requires) and road side assistance. However I do receive the following discounts:

• Multiple autos
  • Multiple line items (homeowners, umbrella)
  • Good driving
  • Accident free

2005 Outback XT

HTH

I have a 06 lgt and only pay $38 a month for full coverage 500/500 deductible. I have a few discounts ( house, multi car, over 30 ) and a my insurance reps says I have a really high rating when it comes to whatever they go by for rates.

Thanks for all the replies. I am definitely going to be modding my car. I wanted to go ahead and get the GT so if I ever decide to go turbo I won't have to replace a shot ton of parts when I could've just begun with them in the first place. I'm all for maintenance and don't have issues putting money into my car as stuff craps out. However I am still thinking about getting a regular 2.5, until Im out of college that is.

Thanks for all the replies. I am definitely going to be modding my car. I wanted to go ahead and get the GT so if I ever decide to go turbo I won't have to replace a shot ton of parts when I could've just begun with them in the first place. I'm all for maintenance and don't have issues putting money into my car as stuff craps out. However I am still thinking about getting a regular 2.5, until I'm out of college, that is.

Keep at it, bro! English101 can be pretty tricky stuff!

$26 mo, liability 500 ded, w/ multicar, multipolicy, and senior citizen discount; j/k about the senior citizen part.

oh yeah, new Legacy GT Owner, one month woohoo! :)

As an insurance producer, I can tell you that your rates will be better when you're over 25. On that note, you have alot of things that you need to accomplish before you're really ready for LGT ownership.

Goto school, get a good job. Save your money. For now, get a car that gets you back and forth reliably -- that's not the LGT.

I can vouch for this... Ask me what a new shortblock cost me while in college, itll turn you right off.

Please don't skimp on insurance coverage. During my time as an adjuster I saw several people financially ruined by having the lowest coverages.

You should purchase as much coverage as you can comfortably afford.

You should pay for the entire policy up front - it saves you money over monthly payments.

You should shop rates every year at least. Staying with one carrier for a lifetime usually only winds up costing you money.

After working there I have what we called "adjuster rates."

5 car policy - 2 Legacies, 2 sports cars, and a truck

$657 for 6 months

Full coverage on all of them except I take collision off the sports cars for the winter.

You should never divulge your insurance coverage limits to anyone but family and your provider, but for the sake of helping others, mine are:

$250/500k BI

$250k Property Damage

$100/300 UMBI

$25k UMPD (never get more Uninsured Property Damage than your car is worth)

My LGT with $250 deductibles comes out to $152 for 6 months or $25/mo if you break it down.

I don't bundle policies as often times this doesn't actually save any money since it discourages you from trying to change carriers.

We change insurance companies on average every 1.5 years. But I compare rates every 6 months.

Keep in mind that insurance companies focus on advertising how many people switch to them. They do this by offering really cheap initial policies. And one thing that makes you look attractive and can keep your rates down is by having high limits. It makes you look more responsible and a better financial risk.

Sorry to put this diatribe on here, but I always try to get info out on stuff like this since not a lot of people are well versed in it. I know I wasn't.

Please don't skimp on insurance coverage. During my time as an adjuster I saw several people financially ruined by having the lowest coverages.

You should purchase as much coverage as you can comfortably afford.

You should pay for the entire policy up front - it saves you money over monthly payments.

You should shop rates every year at least. Staying with one carrier for a lifetime usually only winds up costing you money.

After working there I have what we called "adjuster rates."

5 car policy - 2 Legacies, 2 sports cars, and a truck

$657 for 6 months

Full coverage on all of them except I take collision off the sports cars for the winter.

You should never divulge your insurance coverage limits to anyone but family and your provider, but for the sake of helping others, mine are:

$250/500k BI

$250k Property Damage

$100/300 UMBI

$25k UMPD (never get more Uninsured Property Damage than your car is worth)

My LGT with $250 deductibles comes out to $152 for 6 months or $25/mo if you break it down.

I don't bundle policies as often times this doesn't actually save any money since it discourages you from trying to change carriers.

We change insurance companies on average every 1.5 years. But I compare rates every 6 months.

Keep in mind that insurance companies focus on advertising how many people switch to them. They do this by offering really cheap initial policies. And one thing that makes you look attractive and can keep your rates down is by having high limits. It makes you look more responsible and a better financial risk.

Sorry to put this diatribe on here, but I always try to get info out on stuff like this since not a lot of people are well versed in it. I know I wasn't.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who cringed at those who said they have liability only!

Way cheaper than on my mazda 2, even with $5k of modification cover on the LGT (so the values are similar, if not a bit higher on the LGT).

Insurance is weird.

Problem with switching all the time is in CA, the number of companies that will do mod cover, high coverage limits, new OEM parts, and won't dick around with claims is pretty few and far between. I miss my Fireman's Fund, but they wanted $Texas to cover the 2.

Archived