LegacyGT.com

auto vs. manual in the snow

What shifting system works better in the snow?

Here is what the specs are from subaru.

I wonder if all those people crashing their legacys are using.

Continuous AWD: Models equipped with 5-speed manual transmission utilize a viscous-type locking center differential with torque distribution normally configured at a 50/50-split front-to-rear. If wheel speed differs between front and rear axles, the system helps distribute power to the wheels with the most traction. 2.5 GT Limited models also equipped with a viscous-type limited-slip rear differential.

Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) AWD: Models equipped with 5-speed automatic transmission utilize an electronically controlled variable transfer clutch in conjunction with a planetary-type center differential, and a viscous-type limited-slip rear differential. Torque distribution is normally configured at a performance-oriented rear-wheel-biased 45/55 split front-to-rear. Sensors monitor parameters such as wheel slippage, throttle position and braking to help determine torque distribution and direct it to the wheels with optimum traction.

Let me here some of that southern twang,

Patrick

One of the first test drives I took was last winter with the Outback XT, with the auto tranny. We had a fair amount of snow and I drove on both fresh and hard packed.

I can't say for sure since it's been a while but honestly I don't remember it being that much different. They can still be tail happy, but I suppose the system in theory might be a little more helpful in the nasty stuff.

Well in both my 2001 Acura CL Type S and my 2005 LGT I had a 5 speed auto. I will tell you that it is just as good as the manual for the reasons mentioned above now. They are sooooo much smarter then in the past.

If you were to use my 1997 Camaro Z28 4EAT in that they I would say def the manual would be better.

This Subaru allows you to start in 2nd gear right off the line as well as downshift to any gear instantly to control engine speed and revs.

I think the only 2 advantages to the manual would be that you can match revs on the way down so there is no 'jerk' upon a downshift if on ice. And that it is a 50/50 split not a 45/55 like the auto

Otherwise I would call it equal

However the auto is heavier so I guess that is a plus for the 5EAT

what happens if you use the sport shift and downshift to slow down? or i guess how is that diff from doing on a man. transmission..../QUOTE]

Basically the same effect. The MT always had the advantage of being able to start in 2nd or 3rd, but with the autostick type autos you can start in 2nd anyway, so the MT doesn't have as much of the edge. I prefer MT, but that's because I prefer MT - has nothing to do with snow performance per se ;)

I was apprehensive about driving stick in the snow, however I found that I liked it so much better. I thought I was able to manuever alot better with it. Though I did get in a nasty fight with a hill (Im talkin San Francisco type). I won.

... but with the autostick type autos you can start in 2nd anyway...

Actualy, no. The 5EAT even in sportshift, will not allow you to start in 2nd. It drops to 1st as soon as you come to a stop. But the traction is so good that I don't see missing the manual 2nd gear option. Anyway. in really poor traction such as on wet ice, even a 2nd gear manual start up mostly just spins the drive wheels faster.

Now that I've had a chance to drive mine in some snow, I've found that:

If you want to use auto, the Sport mode seems to work better in the cold and on snow than the "econo" auto.

I've yet to get into a situation where I would need neutral (as in total loss of traction) but I realized that in sport shift, you can't just tap it forward into neutral.

So far, I'm pleased with the auto in the snow.

Actualy, no. The 5EAT even in sportshift, will not allow you to start in 2nd.

But in manual mode you certainly can, I do it all the time especially when I will be going downhill or that I want to avoid some skidding (from the snow) when accelerating from a stop light.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Actualy, no. The 5EAT even in sportshift, will not allow you to start in 2nd. It drops to 1st as soon as you come to a stop.

That's odd. I thought that you could start in 2nd gear on nearly any auto transmission car. Even my automatic 1995 Legacy is capable of locking into 2nd gear by choosing "2" on the gear selector.

That's odd. I thought that you could start in 2nd gear on nearly any auto transmission car. Even my automatic 1995 Legacy is capable of locking into 2nd gear by choosing "2" on the gear selector.

I thought that limited the top gear.. but your idea makes more sense. Oh well, I never used it on my old car.

You are right, it only limits the top gear. Meaning you will go through first and second gear and will never jump into other gears. If you are in D for drive and have overdrive off you will limit your fourth gear in most cars, 5 if you have a 5 gear automatic. However the sportshift works a bit different.

You are right, it only limits the top gear. Meaning you will go through first and second gear and will never jump into other gears. If you are in D for drive and have overdrive off you will limit your fourth gear in most cars, 5 if you have a 5 gear automatic. However the sportshift works a bit different.

Ok, so I'm not crazy. I did recall reading that the sportshift can start in second, but I never tried it and my car is the manual. Can others confirm? If so that's a nice feature to toss in to the auto.

Actualy, no. The 5EAT even in sportshift, will not allow you to start in 2nd. It drops to 1st as soon as you come to a stop.

This is true for the first time, but you quite simply bump up to 2nd while at a complete stop, and the car will start in 2nd gear each and every full stop after until the car is turned off.

I have a 4EAT, I would prefer a manual for snow driving personally..but can deal with either equally as well. I'm pretty sure however, that my split is 50/50 (MY03 L-SE) I think the GT Auto's were the ones that had the 45/55 split.

This is true for the first time, but you quite simply bump up to 2nd while at a complete stop, and the car will start in 2nd gear each and every full stop after until the car is turned off.

I'm kinda surprised that the car starts in 1st all the time. I know that the Steptronic system for the E46 always starts in 2nd and you have to put it into 1st if you want that. Maybe it has something to do with the low end torque who knows. Either way I much prefer driving manual in all inclimate weather situations especially snow, gives the utmost control over the transmission and allows much more delicate application of power.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

We have gotten stuck several times with our automatic. I think it has to do with the 55/45 ratio, as our rears are spinning without the fronts spinning....fairly dissapointed...we dont have the RE-92s either.

Do you honestly think the 45/55 vs 50/50 difference would have made a difference if you were stuck? Doubt it.

Rears spinning and fronts not spinning...so you were stuck with the fronts not moving and the rears were just spinning? Sounds like a tranny problem? If the rears spin, additional power should be transfered to the front to assist...

-S

We have gotten stuck several times with our automatic. I think it has to do with the 55/45 ratio, as our rears are spinning without the fronts spinning....fairly dissapointed...we dont have the RE-92s either.

are you sure both front's weren't spinning? I'd think one front and one rear should be spinning at least, maybe it's the one you can't see.

Archived