LegacyGT.com

looking for a brake upgrade 05 LGT

After going the Advance auto route Im readyto upgrade to real brakes.

The old brakes, done by the shop prior to me buying the car lasted 30k, I drove with spirit at times, enjoying the hills and widy road to the job I was on..Nothing to drastic though. They started showing signs of wear, noises etc. I went purchased a set of pads had the rotors turned( werent bad just a bit out) replaced front and rears.. that was ohh less than 10k ago. There making a hella noises now, squealing grinding etc.. This time though was just regular highway driving, almost no stop and go. :confused:

So where to begin? I see a ton of posts here, but I tend to get overwhelmed reading and frankly give up( kinda where I was in the first brake change).

I want a good all around brake, that will last, but has very good overall stopping performace as well. Should I go with newer rotors? Just pads? hmmm..This is currently my DD

All help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of replies but honestly if your car is a daily driver I wouldn't go nuts. I replaced my stock pads with HPS pads and haven't looked back. Much better bite than stock and the stock rotors quite honestly are fine. If you track your car totally different story but for a mix of spirited and normal driving a decent sent of rotors (stock or OE replacements like Centric should do the trick) with some Hawk Pads.

Check the suspension/brakes section for tons of info. Hawk HPS or HP+ pads great. EBC green are quieter in my opinion and also good pads. There is an inverse relationship between longevity and stopping power (more grip=shorter life).

Your situation sounds exactly like mine did a while ago. I would honestly just tell you to get a set of Hawk HPS pads and stick with the OEM rotors. The pads work great for my legacy and it's my DD as well. Subaru did great job with the rotors that come standard in my opinion, too.

1500+ will get you hooked up with an STI swap thats just the starting price it can and will go up. However , I have been looking around and found some packages of DBA 4000 series (slotted) rotors and hawk pads for 665.00 (see link below) , throw in some steel brake lines and call it done. Legacy's already have a large brake setup. I was incredibly happy with my DBA, hawk and brake line upgrade on my old STI. It did have the brembo's on it. However, if in fact you're just doing some "spirited" driving the 665.00 package should do. That's my opinion.

-K

Import image racing

http://www.importimageracing.com/p/DBA-4000-slotted-package-1-for-05Plus-Legacy-GT.html

If KNS is still honoring the price (listed 7/1/11) 533.00 - S&H included.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-brakes-hawk-dba-stoptech-pads-centric-rotors-lines-fluid-129526.html

Wow, great price! I am new here but just for sake of taking care of the vendors

(import image and KNS among others) who support this site. I would shoot them a PM and see what they can do with a like package. They might be able to at least match or beat the price.

FastWRX AKA MACHVmotorsports. They are a vendor of the site..

They are local to me, I used them back in the day for a 2g eclipse and they gave me a great deal on Kart boy endlinks..

Im reading a lot of negative on HAWK pads. Havent heard much on EBC. I know I want better than stock.

Archived