LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

Found oil puddling on top of the passenger side of the block. I had my SS for sale at the time. A self proclaimed "subaru guy" showed up and declared the block had cracked... HUH! He then said he could make me an offer. No thanks. I did some research on BBS and thought I'd try re-sealing the oil pressure sensor. I pulled the alternator off and teflon taped the threads on the sensor. I then saw the crankcase breather hose had become loose on the fitting on the block. It was still somewhat attached but the hose end had stretched and didn't fit tight. It was pointing toward my new oil puddle. I put a new hose on it with a screw down clamp for good measure. I degreased everything and sprayed off the engine at the car wash. Now to drive it for a bit and make sure my puddle doesnt reappear. Also need to head to the junkyard for a new hood latch and some interior trim pieces.

After taking a 3 week break, I'm back to final wet sanding. Its coming pretty good considering it used to look like a golfball. Should be finally painting the next couple weeks. http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/IMG_20130713_174643_zps2fef5088.jpg

Also took this picture off my back deck, the Doce fire coming over Granite Mountain. This was a week before we lost out Prescott hotshots crew. They will always be remembered here. http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/P6180104_zps19c9e8a0.jpg

Edited by USLiberty

I had to replace the water pump bypass hose. I did an oil change last sat and saw that the hose was swollen. I squeezed it and thought i should replace that hose. well today it blew on me. sooo moral of the story. if you see something that should be replaced... dont touch it till you do!!!

The AC is working intermittently. Yesterday morning it didn't work at all when my wife drove it. It was on Max AC and blew lukewarm air. I switched it to regular AC and it now blows a little colder. It was converted and recharged only two weeks ago and wasn't cheap. The compressor is knocking a little bit so maybe it is on its way out.

I've done my ac numerous times,been through 2 compressors. I would evacuate it, charge it and a couple weeks later it would start cycling on and off. It was refridgerant slowly leaking. at that age the orings throughout the system should be replaced.I got orings from napa, they gave me enough to do at least 5 cars. LOL. When i replaced them, they werent cracked but shrunken and smashed down. Also could be the pressure sensor on the dryer, you can test/ bypass the pressure switch by momentarily connecting the two wires on the sensor, this is throwing a ground to the ecu. If the pressure is too low it wont engage the compressor, but bypassing the sensor should kick it on no matter, but you don't want to run it with low refridgerant for long.

My compressor has recently gotten noisy but still works 100%, they usually work orthey don't, the cycling on and off is due to low pressure or bad pressure sensor. They generally grenade when they're ready to go completely, then you have to get metal shavings out of the system which catch in the dryer. I go to the Junkyard and find a subaru with refridgerant still pressurized and then spin the clutch to feel for smooth compression.

Edited by USLiberty

mine was the condensor was leaking. also the service valves have a slight leak. a/c dye and a ir. light works wounders at finding leaks condensors are expensive, i found mine on ebay for 70. i think it was a r-12 one, but it works better than the r134a one i took out. seems colder that is.

For the first time since owning my 91, I had a no start situation on Thursday and Saturday. Saturday I had to have it towed home. I knew it was fuel delivery related, so went through the fuel pump and lines, also got a new filter.

I cleaned everything out, and it started right up. Hopefully that was the issue, dirty tank/gas/fuel filter. The gas that cameout of the filter was black. The inside of the tank seemed okay, very little sediment.

One issue was one stud had busted for the fuel pump, there is no way to replace it, so hopefully the other 7 bolts make a tight enough seal.

Also could be the pressure sensor on the dryer, you can test/ bypass the pressure switch by momentarily connecting the two wires on the sensor, this is throwing a ground to the ecu. If the pressure is too low it wont engage the compressor, but bypassing the sensor should kick it on no matter, but you don't want to run it with low refridgerant for long.

Thanks usliberty. Ill have to look into that. The o rings are new. I had the dealership do everything so I am going to make another appointment. I'm wondering if they overcharged it.

I pulled a few misc trim pieces from the pull n save. I replaced the knock sensor, but still have the cel code 22. Looks like maybe a wiring issue, which i am not looking forward to attacking. I was going to fix my non-functional ac, but I think I'm going to sell the '94 instead.

Today, I finally laid down paint. Sooo glad its over with, came out pretty good for my first paint job. Sanded it down to 600 after noticing blotchyness doing my hood/trunk first with 400 grit. The flat/satin colors are hard to lay down perfectly, I dripped sweat, touched wet paint, and had a couple runs. I'm hoping I can wet sand it and keep the flat finish. I've seen where you can tape a line, buff/polish one side and have a nice two tone gloss/flat finish. I'm thinking different grit will give different finishes. Sorry for the crappy phone pics, also have lots of trim to repaint, and overspray to clean. http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/IMG_20130731_105818_zps77668f72.jpghttp://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/IMG_20130731_105845_zps2a3ad658.jpghttp://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/IMG_20130731_180504_zps609f38b7.jpghttp://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/IMG_20130731_180515_zps4bf93d5c.jpg Edited by USLiberty

^Looks great from here! Nice work. But polish your headlights already. JK!

I took the SS back to the dealership to have the AC checked since they gaurantee the work they did a few weeks ago. They think the AC compressor is on it's way out. I'm debating whether to pull a compressor from the yard or buy a new one. A new one is about $500 and a salvage compressor is about $25. But at $100 a pop to charge it I might be better off in the long run with a new one. Hmm....

I took the SS back to the dealership to have the AC checked since they gaurantee the work they did a few weeks ago. They think the AC compressor is on it's way out. I'm debating whether to pull a compressor from the yard or buy a new one. A new one is about $500 and a salvage compressor is about $25. But at $100 a pop to charge it I might be better off in the long run with a new one. Hmm....

Have you called http://www.superrupair.com/ My friend in Boulder thinks they are good, just dont take my compressor

Britt

I definitely will polish them again, seems like a yearly thing. Also busted my custom grill so I have another one in the works. Today I worked on this 20yr old girl's 2006wrx, she's drop dead sexy and could be a hooters girl. I still can't believe she's only 20. I replaced her throttle body, damn drivebywire bs! Next I'm doing an airpump delete and uploading a stage 2 tune to go with her 3" exhaust. She needs all kind of stuff maintained, hoses couplings ect... I'm hoping my servicing last longer than her bf does, she knows more about cars than he does. Wish my gf would giggle when I get into the boost!

Sad to hear... I hear you on the headaces though, my ac compressor just started knocking today, went out to the upickit and found a 91 legacy with pressure still in the ac system, the compressor turned smoothly and had compression. Only thing I noticed is the pressure lines connect in a different location on the compressor than my 93. I'm going to swap the lines off the 91 and should be able to get my ac going again for 27$ plus cost of r134. Luckily I have a vacuum pump and a friend with gauges. This is the 3rd used compressor I've gone through, maybe someday ill be able to afford to buy a new one but I sure as hell am not driving through the AZ desert without AC Edited by USLiberty

I took the SS on a little 300 mile road trip. It's a fun cruiser and performed flawlessly. AC compressor doesn't work at all now and it was 95 out but not too hot with the windows rolled down.

Trevorno, sorry to hear you had to sell it. 20 year old cars can be a constant pain.

I took the SS on a little 300 mile road trip. It's a fun cruiser and performed flawlessly. AC compressor doesn't work at all now and it was 95 out but not too hot with the windows rolled down.

Trevorno, sorry to hear you had to sell it. 20 year old cars can be a constant pain.

Thanks Monkey. Lesson learned not to buy a non running car sitting for 9 years. One thing after another. The wife was the happiest to see it go.

• 2 weeks later...

Look what i got at my local salvage yard!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/1562/3fip.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/9829/z18q.jpg

Found a complete rear sway bar from a 97 legacy. Its 18mm. Only paid $26.00 bucks and i have ALL the hardware, including drop down brackets. As far as the lateral links, i plan on being inventive and using square steel stock and making the tabs and welding them on. Of course the bar will be cleaned up, repainted, new bushings and MAYBE endlinks, if i can get them cheap enough(their freakin expensive for plastic.)