LegacyGT.com

MT reverse issue on 2010 LGT

I've noticed since i started driving my Legacy yesterday that it tries to "jump" out of reverse when it's been sitting (i'm assuming it's fluid temp or level related), I'm going to put it on the lift tomorrow to give it a "once over" to check the condition of every last part on the car, i'd just like to know what i may find with this trans, the car has 46K on it

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm at 63K and having a very similar issue. It pretty much only goes half into reverse then pops out as I try to back up. I am aware of it now and make sure it fully in gear before I release the clutch, but before I knew what was going on, it would pop out and grind. Sounds like it may be the same issue but I don't know why it is doing it...

mine is all stock, and likely will remain that way, happy with it's stock feel.

no the park brake was not applied, and it feels like it only goes in half way, i'll check the cables now though

i noticed that it was right at the low line so i have to pick up some fluid after class

Haven't had reverse pop out. But do sometimes put in 1st first then reverse, like Ruthard stated.

This was the only way I could get my WRX into reverse, so the habit has carried over for me with the LGT as well. Does this help for you?

This was the only way I could get my WRX into reverse, so the habit has carried over for me with the LGT as well. Does this help for you?

i added a half quart of mobil synthetic 75-90, and shift into a forward gear before reverse, and it's all good... it's a little quirk i can deal with, the car is starting to grow on me

i have to do a trans fluid change soon, i looked at the service schedule on alldata at school today, there is no way the previous owner followed that, i intend to. the one thing i noticed is that there was no scheduling for the timing belt to be replaced, so every 60k it is :lol: it looks fairly simple... now if i could just find those spark plugs (little different than my beloved blown v6 lol) and get the throttle to respond instantly instead of waiting a second. that throttle delay pisses me off, i've killed this car more than all the other manuals i've ever driven combined

mine went in but would jump out and grind when i released the clutch, even slowly while i held it in place, and i took it in yesterday to have them diagnose/repair it, they were nice enough to lend me their stickered up forester to drive while they fix it, pretty nice because they know i live 100 miles away... the forester is like a rolling advertisement haha

they're most likely going to have to pull the trans down, so i told them to replace the clutch if it's worn, should be perfect when i get her back

*update

service manager said that subaru has a bulletin out on reverse gear damage, says a possible cause is shifting into reverse while still moving forward

and if that's the case it's not covered under warranty

who the f*ck tries shifting into reverse while moving forward? it's got a blocker for a reason, i'm going to be livid if the previous owner ground reverse away by not using the clutch or thinking it was a 7 speed

I dont think its the 7 speed thing but rather people shifting into R while still rolling slowing forward... Mine is getting worse and worse. But I know its not from that as I make sure I come to a stop before using reverse due to a lesson learned years ago.

i think there may be a design flaw in these transmissions, they changed the design at least one time during the 2010 model year and mine was before the change.

only reason i know they changed design is the sevice bulletin on the oiling issue

manufacturers NEVER change something for no reason

• 3 months later...

mine was fixed under warranty, they said it was excessive overall wear, but not from abuse. The clutch was also toast, and it wasn't covered, but they put it in for free since they already had the trans down... so i'd say it turned out well and it has been magnificent since the rebuild

also been doing a little tweaking with the tactrix... these have power reduction in first thru FOURTH gear, also the ability to phase the cams independently is awesome as well as the cruise and non cruise separation, i gained around 2 mpg and the engine responds instantly instead of the stock half century long wait

Got my car back today cuz I'm leaving the country next week and can't leave it there. They are still waiting for response from Subaru for the fix, but for some reason the reverse is working again so I'll just monitor it for now. They told me another Legacy (6MT) went in for the same issue one day after I dropped mine off.

• 3 years later...
I hate to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if I am having the same issue as the one spoken about in this thread. Every so often, when the car has been sitting overnight and I leave for work, when I go to put it in reverse, it does a grind which I feel through the shifter, but it will go into reverse, but won't pop out. It happens for that split second and that's it. Won't happen again for weeks. I am out of warranty, so I'm just dealing with it. But was curious when I saw this thread.

Archived