LegacyGT.com

Advice for Timing Belt service, Philly Suburbs

subieblue

I have an '05 LGT with 104k miles, so I'm getting ready to do the timing belt service and looking for advice.

1. I live near Exton/West Chester, do you have any recommendations for a reliable service shop to get the work done? When I lived in MD, I used to take my subie to a guy who was a trained subaru tech and did excellent work at a 30% discount from what the dealer charged. Unfortunately, I dont know anyone in the area like that (yet). Robert's Subaru is close by, but the few times I've taken my Subaru there, I dont get the warm fuzzy about them. Anyone with a recommendation in Chester/Montgomery/Delaware county would be great.

2. How much should this service cost. On my older cars, I've typically had them replace the water pump, I've now read that it's a good time to do the oil pump too. Anything else I should do on this service?

3. I probably need the plugs replaced, if I provide the parts, what should I expect to pay for the service?

Thanks

SB

I'm also in West Chester, north of town next to Exton. I don't know of any shops the specialize in Subies - if you find one let me know!

I usually take my cars to Concordville as their Sat hours are more convenient for me. But they do tend to be more expensive than Roberts.

2. Had a new water pump and timing belts done at Concordville, it wasn't cheap :(

3. If you bring the plugs they charge ~2.5 hours of labor, IIRC mine was $225.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far...

I called around today, and it looks like $400-$440 is the going rate for the timing belt. All the dealers I spoke to said that the water pump is usually not a problem at this point, so they just inspect it, although it would add about $200 if I wanted that replaced. I might just break down and do it at the dealer, I was just hoping to find a local mechanic I could use instead.

On a separate note, I think it would make an excellent "sticky" topic for this kind of topic: both good/bad service locations for the Philly area, and what people pay for various services.

FredBeans did my timing belt and they did a good job. The cost was more than 400 bucks, but I had them replace everything that touches the timing belt. This may be overkill, but I plan on keeping the car for a long time. You can also pick up your aftermarket parts there too and save on the shipping.

Archived