LegacyGT.com

keyless entry no horn sound??

Hello again. I have a 97 lgt 5mt with 164,xxx miles. It has what appears to be a subaru factory keyless entry system installed, yet I can't find anything on a keyless entry of any kind in the service manual, owners manual, or haynes repair manual, leading me to believe its not oem, but the "brain" or control box, and key fob both say subaru on them.

Anyway,

When I lock the car using the key fob it locks and the lights flash, but no horn sounds. Also when you press the lock and un lock at the same time (panic mode) the lights flash over and over, but no horn honk.

Both left and right horns work when you press the horn on the steering wheel, and I looked and the horns are wired using oem wires through the harness and oem locations, so why no horn sound when locking or in panic mode?

Is that just how they are, or is there a way to torn the horn feature on the keyless on and off, or what? I know some cars you can turn the horn on and off, lol.

Thanks guys and gals,

-Ben

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I forget how.....but a certain amount of button pushes on the remote turns on the horn feature. I think its pushing the lock button 3 times in rapid succesion...play w/it :)
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Both horns sound with the steering wheel horn pad, so I don't believe they are un plugged, unless something in the keyless its self is unplugged. I also noticed under the dash with the keyless brain, there are 2 fuses, and 2 small black plugs side by side. They are both 2 pin plugs, but are so small they look like one pin. One plug has a jumper in it, and the other has nothing. When I remove the jumper and lock the car with the key fob, the lights blink twice, when I put it in the empty plug, still twice, but when the jumper is in the origonal plug, it only blinks once. I also tried the 3 quick lock button deal with the jumper in each plug and removed completely. Nothing.

Any other ideas?

Also the 2 fuses, when one is removed the keyless does not work, when the first is installed and the other is removed, everything works as it should. Any idea what the second fuse is for?

The fuse that does nothing has a pink wire with green stripe going in, and coming out, then that pink/green wire goes to the factory harness and connects to a red wire with a green stripe and silver dots, that wire dissappears into the dash... The wire for the horns under the hood are red with a blue stripe, no silver dots... So idk ha ha

Correction on the 2 black plugs. One is 2 pin with what looks to be one solid yellow wire and one solid white wire. That is the plug with the jumper, the other plug is 1 pin with a red wire that has a white stripe, it has nothing in it.

Idk if any of this helps, I'm just telling ya what I see. Ha ha.

One more thing subikid90. Is it the actual horns that sound when you lock and un lock your doors, or is it a "chirp" from maybe somewhere else? If its a chirp maybe I'm missing the horn thing that makes the sound. Just a thought.

yeah i thought about that. I have a 98 gt and there hasn't been a sound from mine since the day i got her, but a horn might be nice to have just as an assurance that i locked it, or to find the car in a parking lot haha

I can't find any wiring or location info on the keyless entry on our cars anywhere. If that can be had, maybe we can figure out if its the horns, or a different "chirper" that has quit working. Or if someone can tell us if theirs is a chirp or the horns honking. I would love to have the sound for reassurance knowing it locked as I walk away.

Mine is a chirp. Does it once when I unlock and twice when I lock it. Mine might be different because my car I think might have an "upgraded" alarm system. I have a red led next to my fog light button, its on the far left side. I haven't seen this an anyone else car so far, but my alarm brain and key fob all say Subaru on them. ill take a picture of my brain and led light. I will admit I love hearing the sound when I lock my car, its a nice insurance to know its locked. If you set your alarm off does it make any sound? Ill try and play with mine today and see if i can find where the sound is coming from.

Dont have a 2nd gen, but on the 4th gen, the horn doesnt sound, it has a higher pitch sound it makes when using the fob. But I found out if you hit the lock button 2x on the fob, itll actually sound the horn to verify doors locked. so maybe try hitting the lock button a couple times.

I have tried hitting the lock button many times, and when you hit both lock and un lock at the same time it goes into panic mode where the lights keep flashing over and over, but no horn in either instance.

subiekid90, I believe that means you have the anti-theft in your car, thats what the led light next to your fog light button is. That means yours has sensors for the doors and hood and such and if the alarm goes off it cuts power the ignition or something so it cant be hot wired and driven off.

I dont have any of that, I only have the keyless entry. Maybe only the anti-theft makes noise when you lock and un lock, tho I dont know why they would make it that way and not have the keyless entry make noise as well. :/ ugh!!!

ANYONE HAVE A SECOND GEN LGT AND HAVE KEYLESS BUT NOT THE ANTI-THEFT THAT MAKES THE CHIRP?!?!?!?!?!?

Benders you are probably right. I have found my horn for my chirp. Its on the suspension wall. I have a picture of it attached. Its where the sound for the chirp and the alarm come from. Hope this helps, sorry if it doesnt.

CIMG1975.thumb.jpg.55ed3f311318ec9b73aea42f415c6a4c.jpg

Is that the passenger side (us model) next to the air box? Ill go check mine in a minute, but I'm 99% sure I don't have that. We may just have our answer. Ill let everyone know shortly.

Subikid90, can you see what color the power wire for that "chirper" is? If I don't have the chirper maybe mine is wired for it anyway and is hidden in the harness and all I would have to do is buy one and wire it up. Lol

Let me know.

Alas, I do not have that cylindrical black box now known as "the chirper"... Sorry lgt owners with no anti-theft, we are doomed to silent locks and un locks with only a visual confermation... :/unless....

Subikid, can you find the wire color for the chirper? If so, I can look in my harness right there and see if I have said color wire.

There is still hope! Lol

Not to bring you down more, but I pulled the wire loom off the harness about 6 inches in that area, and saw no extra wire :/ it could be farther in the harness, but its not looking good... :/ get brave and dig into your harness :) ill try and do the same.

Subikid, just let us know the color when you get a chance.

Maybe we can have the beloved chirp one day... Ha ha

-Ben

Okay so here it goes. The first few pictures show the wire that runs from the alarm horn to the firewall. It is just a red and black wire and then once it goes through the firewall I don't know where it goes because it goes in behind the HVAC and stereo system.

On my alarm brain I have a total of 4 plugs and the a white wire coming out the side, im assuming a ground wire. The plugs and wires are,

-2 pin with 2 blue wires

-4 pin with brown, orange, red and black wires

-5 pin with red, pink, red with green stripe, another pink and an empty pin

-18 pin with a bunch of colors, white, white with black stripe, purple, red, orange, yellow, baby blue, green, green with black stripe, orange with black stripe, black, pink, yellow with black stripe, and 2 empty pins.

I took a few picture to show you what mine looks like. From what it sounds like the brain for just keyless entry only has the 4 pin and 2 pin. No colors that I see match but the 2 pin is wrapped and the wire travels up towards the location of where the red and black wires for the horn enters the firewall. I hope this helps

CIMG1978.thumb.jpg.66360e585e867663074aff7a18d4dc79.jpg

CIMG1979.thumb.jpg.49c0708885e50757c6ca8ad1f287c859.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.4729f2d22c0af9c8b3ce57a1aa94eed0.jpg

CIMG1984.thumb.jpg.743f789ae2c562fcb7dc7afd301ae6aa.jpg

CIMG1989.thumb.jpg.68b8a2ac647f3e1794de4b6c938f8bbf.jpg

CIMG1991.thumb.jpg.95f4f20ae85c2d336b7c17bca880566d.jpg

haha was just about to jump in and say it but you guys found it out, during our years, we had the choice between manual locks(base L models), keyless entry no chirp or sound, and the factory alarm with keyless entry and the horn will sound when locking and unlocking. I have a friend that has a l with keyless entry and he doesnt have the chirp just silence

Archived