LegacyGT.com

Radio Removal?

mvigneau

Yeah, thats pretty much how in a way. You don't need to take the Center console out though. Just pop up the shifter trim/ boot up, then there is a screwon each side near the seat heater switches under the trim there, take that out. Then there is just clips that hold the trim peices on, and you just pop those out on each side of the radio. Then there is the screws holding the radio unit in.

I just noticed you live in Manchester, I live in Nashua :) . You should meet up with the group that meets everyonce and awhile from the NewEngland area on NASIOC. We usually meet at the Ground Round in Nashua off exit 8.

Sounds like a plan, that's only like 15-20 minutes from my house. But I don't own an Impreza...I own the Legacy...That's not a problem is it? I see that you own a LGT so I assume it is ok.

As to making my own antenna adapter. I am waiting on the shipment from Hirose which will come on 2/14. If I get it and it doesn't get pushed back, then I am going to make my own.

Sounds like a plan, that's only like 15-20 minutes from my house. But I don't own an Impreza...I own the Legacy...That's not a problem is it? I see that you own a LGT so I assume it is ok.

Yeah, nobody has a problem with it. You don't even spend much time with the cars, especially this time of the year :lol: . We just go there and grab a bite to eat and shoot the shit.

As to making my own antenna adapter. I am waiting on the shipment from Hirose which will come on 2/14. If I get it and it doesn't get pushed back, then I am going to make my own.

Can you give me the part number of the connector you ordered from Hirose?

I just noticed you live in Manchester, I live in Nashua :) . You should meet up with the group that meets everyonce and awhile from the NewEngland area on NASIOC. We usually meet at the Ground Round in Nashua off exit 8.
audi tech with a LGT.. eeeexcellent :) You wouldn't happen to have a silver sedan with a spoiler? I spotted one a few months ago in nashua while getting some lunch.. Unfortunately I was in my co-workers car :(

Hi,

How did you order those parts from Hirose? I did a little web browsing and it seemed like they only ship to major distributors or manufacturers.

Also, please let us know how it works once you're done! I'd really like to do the same thing with my Sirius PNP radio, to eliminate the static I get occasionally with the built-in FM transmitter.

-Matt

I actually ordered it from http://www.needasample.com which I got the idea from other forum posts. I work at a large semiconductor company so I am just having them ship them there. I think that they send a representative to hand deliver them to you but I will see when that happens.

I will be documenting the steps and taking pictures and will post under the forum topic "It has begun - iPod Installation!"

Yeah, thats pretty much how in a way. You don't need to take the Center console out though. Just pop up the shifter trim/ boot up, then there is a screwon each side near the seat heater switches under the trim there, take that out. Then there is just clips that hold the trim peices on, and you just pop those out on each side of the radio. Then there is the screws holding the radio unit in.

Ok, I guess I'm dense, but I can't figure this out. :( I've got an automatic transmission and all the pics seem to indicate that the chrome trim around the shifter should pop out. I've applied a fair amount of force but that thing just won't come out! My wife will kill me if I mangle the car, so I would appreciate it if somebody would confirm that this is how it's supposed to work. Is there any trick to it? Do you have to start at the top and work to the bottom or something? Help please!

Also, just to be sure I know the sequence:

1. Pop out chrome trim around shifter

2. Remove silver trim under shifter (under chrome trim)

3. Remove side trim to expose stereo screws.

4. Profit!!! :)

Thanks in advance.

Ok, never mind. I got the stereo out with only minor cosmetic damage that my wife probably won't notice. For anybody else trying this, there are 4 clips holding the chrome on. They're on the left and right sides near the top and bottom on each side. I got them off by putting in a screwdriver and twisting. I used thick paper above and below the screwdriver to try to avoid damaging the trim, but I ended up very slightly bending it after twisting too hard, so BE CAREFUL!

• 2 weeks later...

I had no problem getting to the radio -- but some of the wire connections seemed impossible to disconnect -- especially when I was reaching well behind the radio housing where I couldn't see too well. Anyone else have this problem. I counted 5 seperate connectors that had to come out -- I could only disconnect the first 4 and eventually gave up. I have the 2.5i with manual climate controls - that might account for the different connections.

On the plus side I think monkeying around with the connections may have solved one problem. I had some buzzing from the front right speaker at certain frequencies. I assumed it was just a loose panel in the door or something but it seems to be gone now. Hmmm....

I had no problem getting to the radio -- but some of the wire connections seemed impossible to disconnect -- especially when I was reaching well behind the radio housing where I couldn't see too well. Anyone else have this problem. I counted 5 seperate connectors that had to come out -- I could only disconnect the first 4 and eventually gave up. I have the 2.5i with manual climate controls - that might account for the different connections.

On the plus side I think monkeying around with the connections may have solved one problem. I had some buzzing from the front right speaker at certain frequencies. I assumed it was just a loose panel in the door or something but it seems to be gone now. Hmmm....

I gave up trying to disconnect the HVAC controls. There are brackets on either side of the radio that you can undo to separate it from the HVAC.

To disconnect the radio, first disconnect the hazard flasher from the top-right. You have to push in a "key" on the bottom of the connecter to get it out. Once you've done that you can pull the radio out much further, which makes it a lot easier to disconnect the rest of the connections. Also, the rest of the wires are bundled together using a weak, sticky blue tape. if you pull the radio out the sticky blue tape will break, which is OK. I believe that's how it's designed -- it holds the wires together until you need to take the stereo out, then it gets out of the way.

Archived