LegacyGT.com

Need to replace turbo? thinking of options

Hey everyone,

My 05 LGT was randomly spewing out copious amounts of exhaust/smoke when sitting at idle for extended periods of time, such as stop lights or drive thru's. But at no other times. Only at idle, at operating temp, and at random times. When I would start driving, I would push the remaining exhaust/smoke out of the pipes and there would be no more visible exhaust coming out of my pipes. Only the giant cloud I left in my wake. Embarrassing as shit.

So I took it into the shop, and they found the turbo (original stock turbo) is leaking oil at the halves, and they think it is likely leaking internally also, causing the large amounts of exhaust/smoke. Why it only happens at idle they weren't sure. In turn, they recommended replacing the turbo assembly (among other minor things) and quoted be about $1900 after all said and done. I also have another quote from them to replace leaking valve cover gaskets for $500

Looking at the quote, $1200 of that is the turbo from Subaru. So I started thinking I gotta be able to do something better for $1200 than a stock replacement. I'm just looking for some opinions from people more knowledgeable than me or has been in a similar situation.

My car currently has 120k on it, engine mods are

AVO TMIC

Turbo smart bov

SPT Intake

Perrin Inlet hose

Up-pipe

Turbo back exhaust

Cobb AP

FWIW the shop said the rest of the car appears in great shape for the mileage. I do plan on keeping it awhile. I was contemplating selling for something newer, but I just had to replace my fuel tank ($1400) and now this, is just too much $ to sell it now.

If I end up getting a larger turbo, am I going to have to get new internals and maybe a custom tune for the car?

VF-52 and tune and go. Good, reliable OEM turbo, but is definitely an upgrade for the LGT and really wakes the car up. There are a LOT of satisfied customers on here with this turbo. Not something exotic with a lot of mod requirements. Any Subie dealer can work on it. This is probably what you need.

You can probably get an off the shelf from Cobb on the AP for it, but personally, I'd be more comfortable with a tune specific to that car by a reputable tuner. Even an e-tune would be good. I recommend and use BrenTuning. CryoDave is another vendor on here with a very solid reputation. Mike at Infamous has a new tuner with a stellar resume as well.

No new internals or rebuild needed. Make sure turbo was not damaged and depositing metal in your oiling system. Requires a little more R&R to the oil pump, ocvs, oil pan, etc. If it's just internal seals leaking, you should probably be good to just swap out the turbo. Maybe consider an EBCS while you're in there.

Ah missed that. Fuel pump (DW65C) is always a good idea on an upgraded turbo, though not an absolute requirement on a VF-52. Fuel pump before EBCS even. Injectors not required, but you might be leaving some power on the table.

You can score a good used VF52 for about half the price of a brand new OEM turbo, and it's pretty easy to do it yourself. $650-700 should get you something decent.

If you're gonna go the dealership route, just go ahead and upgrade to the VF52, as nearly all the OEM turbos are about the same price -- ~$1100. Look for PN: 14411AA800.

Also, there is some controversy about the spt intake. Might want to switch that out before your tune. Your setup sounds almost exactly like mine except I am running a Perrin intake and an open source tune. My internals are forged but that is only because my motor popped and I wanted a margin for any future upgrades.

Hey guys,

im new and this is my first post... so hopefully i did this right...

I just had a similar prob with mine except it was the banjo bolt on my VF40. VF52 is definitely the way to go, nice upgrade over stock with it being bolt-on. And i agree with everyone about it needing a tune. But when i talked about the options for mine with EFI tuning, my tuner advised me that upgrading the fuel pump and injectors would definitely be a good idea so as to not max out the stock system. He recommended DW 850cc injectors and as previously mentioned the DW65c fuel pump. He said it wasn't necessary, but good if I wanted to get the most out of the upgrade.

hope this was helpful

I've seen used vf52's up for sale fairly regularly so I'll keep an eye out. Not wanting to go dealership route. I was wondering how difficult a job it is for the turbo. Shop quoted me $500 to remove and replace with accompanying parts. But this shop also quoted me $150 to replace my TMIC which took me and the directions hardly any time. It's a great shop, but is pricey, didn't know how $500 stood up. I've done a lot of work, but am no mechanic.

What would I be looking at for new injectors installed? I figured injectors wouldn't be necessary but recommended. I don't plan on putting more power into the car, but if its good idea for the overall health of the engine,

I'll look into some tuners in my area see what they say. Whats with the spt intake? I have noticed people switching them out for others. Been fine for me minus a shitty fit on with the inlet hose.

• Moderators

Word of advice: don't buy a used vf52 over a new 16g from BNR. Folks will argue for sure, but price is roughly the same and one option gets you used parts, the other gets you new.

$500 for a turbo replacement is probably ok. if you like doing stuff youself, then do it. nothing really difficult about it, but the job will take some time to get everything lined up--up pipe, downpipe, intercooler, inlet, turbo, blah blah blah.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

+1 on the BNR 16g. My turbo blew a few months ago, I went with the 16g and it is great. I did my fuel pump (DW65c) too but not my injectors yet, I'm saving those for when I upgrade to the Blouch 470xt-STI 20g. The 16g is a great DD turbo with a good amount of power over the stock VF40, definitely better top-end spool (doesn't die out). I was messing around with a 2015 STI the other day and I was pulling on him in 4th gear...granted I have a lot more done than just a new turbo and tune though...if you go 16g, get the upgrade oil line kit from IP&T ($200) for a warranty with the BNR. So, a BNR 16g $750 + Oil line kit $200 = $950 for a great upgrade/replacement turbo with a warranty.

Archived