LegacyGT.com

Who else here hates their front diff!!?

Just a little rant but darn you subaru could have put a limited slip up front would it have been that much of a hassle on a performance sports sedan?

Whenever I try to goose it from a stop into a turn or try to power through a turn and get any sort of wheel lift...ALLL THE POWER escapes out of that loose wheel. Its such a let down, I feel like the only way around it is to either spend the fat amount of cash for a front LSD or just try to get lots of oversteer around corners. End of the day the first options may be cheaper in the long run lol

Stock suspension?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

If I hate to choose between hate and love for my front diff I would say hate but hate is a way strong word and my feelings are more like lukewarm. With KWs, Sways, insane tires, etc my car pulls like mad in turns and has crazy tq. Try F&R swaybars if you dont already have them, otherwise better tires.

Stock suspension?

My guess too:)

The pedal is also not an on/off switch.

SAYS YOU!:lol::p

Nope not stock suspension, front and rear 22mm sways, swift springs on the Bilsteins (of course) and hankook evo v12's holding it to the pavement. it never happens on fast big turns, even on like 15mph on ramps where you can make it up to about 40-50. Its really mostly hopping into traffic off of a side street..and really even without turning the dimmer switch (seabass) all the way up, the loss of traction alone lets the car rev up realll quick in first or second gear but ultimately the thing goes nowhere fast.

it almost feels like having an open diff in a front wheel drive car, which I don't really understand either...I would think the rear wheels would keep turning given our cars have a 50/50 torque split center diff.

• Mega Users
I'm just digging, but maybe the center diff is worn? Since you have a vlsd center diff, when they wear, they act like an opened diff. This could cause it to act like a fwd car when the front starts spinning. I also haven't driven a manual LGT, so I don't know how they usually behave. It doesn't sound right though.

Learn how to ease into the throttle for maxium traction. That what race car drivers do. The more you practise the better you will get.

Same as braking, you don't use the ABS everytime you stop. You need to practise and find the Threshold point at where you have maxium braking without using the ABS.

Sorry if you feel like we are not feeling your pain.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not quite the rant I had expected. I have blown 3 front diffs in the Subie auto trannies.

I thought you have had the same misfortune as me.

From the sounds of it though you just may be in line for breaking something. The traction, to slip, to traction action is hard on the drivetrain. From the sounds of it though, you might not have a working center diff (seabass), which would be the crux of your driving style based on the description of your symptoms.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Learn how to ease into the throttle for maxium traction. That what race car drivers do. The more you practise the better you will get.

Same as braking, you don't use the ABS everytime you stop. You need to practise and find the Threshold point at where you have maxium braking without using the ABS.

Sorry if you feel like we are not feeling your pain.

you mean to tell me the throttle is not an on off switch???

Harsh comments from some of you guys. I'm rather positive I'm a pretty damn good driver, just look at the results from my last auto x...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/222654_10150231841934789_600894788_8826282_5629387_n.jpg

Anyways... Idk I guess I will have to get some examples via gopro to get you guys to understand the situation I'm dealing with. I don't think my center diff is worn as the car performs the same as it always has...its just when that one wheels gets load taken off of it from the weight transfer of a turn that the lack of traction causes the wheel to spin free. I wasn't aware that getting wheel spin made people bad drivers. go figure.

See if you notice the problem with a little left foot braking in the mix. Light brake pressure will equalize the force slightly.

With both those sways, I bet you are UN-wieghting the inside front wheel substantially. You lose a lot of suspension droop.

The other way to confirm this is to beg, borrow or steal a gopro and mount it in view of the front wheels and video the problem.

Harsh comments from some of you guys. I'm rather positive I'm a pretty damn good driver, just look at the results from my last auto x...

Anyways... Idk I guess I will have to get some examples via gopro to get you guys to understand the situation I'm dealing with. I don't think my center diff is worn as the car performs the same as it always has...its just when that one wheels gets load taken off of it from the weight transfer of a turn that the lack of traction causes the wheel to spin free. I wasn't aware that getting wheel spin made people bad drivers. go figure.

that autox result doesn't mean anything if a novice driver is paxing top 10 or even top 20. your competition is sh1t. come race with NNJR at and see how good you do. ;) you will be humbled.

ok, now real serious autox advice.

FWIW, your suspension setup is too soft for your sway bars which actually make you lift the inside wheel more because it decreases your suspension independence. spec b bilsteins and swifts are not good enough for autox duty. you need coilovers with a good spring rate to keep your car flatter. that will keep your wheels on the ground when you transfer weight in corners. also your tires arent good enough either to resist the unloading of the inside front tire.

as far as driving skill is concerned, if you want to get around the scenarios when you will spin that wheel. Changing how and when you apex will much to alleviate those situations. it took me 3 years of learning to drive the proper ways to get around overpowering the front diff, on r-comps, coilovers and 25mm bars no less, before i couldnt go any go any faster and sprang for a front LSD.

take an evo school and see how they help in those situations. you will be impressed on how much your driving habits change.

Archived