LegacyGT.com

Got some new tires, TFT damaged a sensor.

I got a busted tire after I hit a pot hole the size of cruise missile crater. I was due for new tires anyways so I picked up 4 at Town Fair Tire. They were in stock, only had a 90 minute turn around, and I didn't feel safe with a donut. :redface:

Turns out they damaged what was most likely the speed sensor (I searched!). I didn't notice the ABS, CEL, ER SS codes until I got home. I was too busy paying attention to the feel of the new tires.

I took the car back and they said:

When you get a flat in the front, Subaru says you're supposed to take a back tire off and use it there, putting the donut in the back. Then pull a fuse so the car goes to FWD? I've never heard of it. He said just to disconnect the battery, and pump the brakes to reset the ECU.

I did that, and I reset/reflashed as well. Codes are still there. Now my car sounds like the fans are on like when you connect the test pins. Only the noise isn't in bursts it's constant. It sounds like I've got an agressive camshaft, and feels like I've got bad spark plugs. But I read that it's a symptom of a bad speed sensor.

So I'm having the car towed to a local Subaru dealer who's a good family friend. I called TFT at their main office and told them what happened and that I wouldn't be paying for the damages. They said not a problem, but they speak to a mechanic or someone at the parts department before the cover any bill.

So is this an issue that can be cleared up and fixed with in a few hours, a day, the weekend? I have no idea.

Archived