LegacyGT.com

Fuel Pump Install

Ok I did some searching before i ordered my Walbro Fuel Pump. I went through the exchange program available at http://www.pltek.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1106_21_32_56&products_id=428. This Program is set up so that you order the pump pre-installed into the Legacy housing. This costs $470 with a core charge of $200 when you return your factory pump inside the white housing.

I searched to try and get some pointers on how to do the pump swap and came up with nothing. This gave me the idea to take some pictures and write this up after the install. Hope it can help someone out.

This is what the pump and assembly will look like when it arrives.

0112071345.jpg.e66d1075740c17ee3baab69e1a9a9195.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pump is located under the rear seat which can be removed fairly easy. I t is held on by three clips (see First Pic)

The pump is under a black plate held in place by four phillips head screws on the passenger side of the car. There is a black plate on the drivers side which i have no idea what is under that. (See Pic 2)

0112071804.jpg.e3b63c8d307e6f8b0e87377511e7d5a5.jpg

0112071803.jpg.2e2aea38a86eb9ccd7d6e98932c61a20.jpg

Next you will need to remove the plate that holds the pump down. (See Pic 1) This is held on with i believe either 8 or 9 mm nuts.

Next you can remove the lines from the top of the pump housing held on by three clips.

Now pull the pump out along with the rubber gasket (See pic 2)

0112071805.jpg.54cbfe062234f0c00f67fe5229d07c01.jpg

0112071805a.jpg.4b2543e38dbcb607753166fd376c39a3.jpg

Now you want to have rags ready when you pull the pump.(See Pic 1). Take the pump housing somewhere to dump out the excess gas. Once you have done that you need to remove the clips from the top of the housing to be installed on the replacement housing. (See Pic 2)

0112071806.jpg.1f2ac6e3bdf7f4ea92fca584b428a2cf.jpg

0112071812.jpg.9a047dac0f007633c4c4b2e00d9f75ed.jpg

Once you have the clips installed on the new housing you can drop the new pump and housing into the tank. Dont forget your gasket.(See Pic 1)

Make sure that you line up the housing how it is supposed to be inside the tank. You can line it up by the using the marker. (See Pic 2)

0112071813.jpg.e3a7caa85f6aa6274df0b34a17f0e6d4.jpg

0112071815.jpg.edbbb1ba218ec65fdf7e471f9fc1ba66.jpg

You need to reinstall the bracket that holds down the pump and clip the fuel lines to the pump housing.

Next you can put the black plate held on by the 4 philips head screws and reinstall your seat. You need to then prime the pump a few times before you start the car. You can do this by turning your key to the on position. (Without starting the car).

The install only took me about 30 minutes total and is pretty simple. I would definatly go through the exchange program and get the entire assembly instead of trying to modify the unit yourself.

I did the upgrade to support the 18g i have coming. I will probably ry to do a write-up on that too since there really isnt one and i will be doing it myself hopefully sometime this week if it comes in. I will turn up the resolution on my phone before i do that though.

I did the swap with a little less than a 1/4 tank and it was not bad at all. There will be a decent amount inside the housing but it wont leak once you let the exterior stuff run off. Dont do it with a full tank though.

Nice write up/

How much fuel leaks out when you take it out?

2-4oz

Just glanced over alot of this thread so if I missed it sorry about mentioning this again....

Do not forget to remove the fuel pump fuse & crank the car up until it stall's

Another suggestion do this when the low fuel light comes on in the car as the lower your fuel level the better;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Yeah it is different cause this setup came with the Walbro pre-fit to the factory housing. The guys at www.pltek.net were very helpful and very fast getting back to me on any questions i had for them. I sent the stocker back today next day air with a check for the balance to get an Up-Pipe install gasket kit and a GFB Hybrid BOV to do the turbo install i have coming up. I will definatly be using pltek more often.

I primed the pump with the seat off so it was slightly louder but am still waiting on my turbo so cant really give you an accurate answer if i had to give you an answer though i would say no not really maybe a slight bit noisier during startup priming.

I will give you a more accurate answer when i get a chance to drive the car.

Archived