LegacyGT.com

Has anyone popped a clutch master cylinder?

I'm pretty sure I just did. Approached cold car. Clutched in to start the car. I hear a pop from the clutch and it drops to the floor nary to return of its own volition. Clutch does not disengage.

I stick my melon down there. Manually pulled up the clutch pedal and depressed it. Same results. Release pressure is slower but steady on the way up. Once pushed it finds it's way back.

Noticed some fluid dripping, but I swear that's the brake master. Clutch master ought to be directly behind the clutch right? I tried one more pump and confirmed volume of fluid leaking (it's a relatively small amount) does seem to be proportional to pressure on the clutch pedal.

anyway, I can do **** all about it right now other than learn up on the assembly. Vacation picks don't quite make sense to me, the angle is funny.

You have a melon....???? Lucky!

Could it be the slave cylinder? I have popped way more slave cylinders in my lifetime than master cylinders. Are you certain where the fluid is coming from? It could be squirting and appearing somewhere that it is not originating from.

Which should be directly behind the clutch and brake pedals accordingly correct?

Not on our cars. We have metal clutch lines that run inside to the pedal then through the firewall to the reservoir. We actually have pressure lines inside the car. Weird setup.

I thought the clutch resevoirs on our cars were always to the left of the brake booster (looking at the booster from the front of the car)

Correct. I am using mechanic terms. All terminology is as if you are behind the wheel. Dr side is left passenger side is right.

Not on our cars. We have metal clutch lines that run inside to the pedal then through the firewall to the reservoir. We actually have pressure lines inside the car. Weird setup.

I tried to feel around and noticed hardlines running parallel to the firewall that I didn't expect to be there. The cylinder I observed leaking was almost behind the brake pedal. This makes me nervous due to the fault batch of brake MC's out there, but puzzled if it was the brake MC since clutch action appeared to directly correlate to the leak volume.

If there is no clutch MC visible inside the car at all, that is very troubling. Maybe the brake MC has been leaking for a while and the cleavis pin on the clutch pedal sheered and the two are unrelated. That would be fun.

Sounds like it. We have a strange clutch setup. Your brake reservoir is right next to clutch reservoir.

Wait what? There is no mechanics term. You just said right next to the brake resevoir lol.

Correct. I am using mechanic terms. All terminology is as if you are behind the wheel. Dr side is left passenger side is right.

Unless of course you meant to the right..

Hope these help.

Exactly where is the fluid dripping from? Interior or Exterior?

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/BigBopper_01/LGT/P1010002JPG_zps80f353eb.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/BigBopper_01/LGT/P1010001JPG-2_zps445264c6.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/BigBopper_01/LGT/P1010003JPG_zps898bc422.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/BigBopper_01/LGT/P1010001-4_zps2ef99a84.jpg

NF Performance to the rescue!

Fuji swooped in and got the car up to the new NF Performance shop. I should have some news over the weekend. Can't say enough about how awesome these guys have been to me over the last year! Highly recommended for any MN folks out there looking for a shop to provide thoughtful, knowledgeable, honest advice and hard work.

Realstreet, NF Performance and ron at RSMotors are the three that I would recommend in MN.

Fuji will treat ya right.

edit: oh hey, I didn't even see that Fuji was here! Forum Level: Ghost

I could suck start a snow blower.

Early update: It's looking like the clutch damper (delay valve) is the culprit. Assuming everything else ends up looking good, I'm going to have the NF guys delete it.

That might explain my premature clutch failure on the first ACT. If so, it would also mean the 2nd ACT that's currently in there is also more f'd than it should be right about now.

Wha....what?? Clutch damper? What is that? We don't need no stinkin' clutch damper!

Correct!

I've never dealt with one before and had to read up on it. It's a nanny device designed to prevent you from shock-loading the drive train by popping the clutch. It's between the clutch MC and the grommet that heads out to the reservoir.

I don't drop my clutch. Therefore all it's really doing is screwing with my pedal feel and potentially eating rather expensive aftermarket components.

Hoping to get some pics soon.

Clutch feels better than ever with the damper deleted and a stainless steel line in its place. The engagement point moved a bit but the feedback is more linear.

I would recommend pre-emptively deleting the CDV if you're going with an aftermarket clutch. It appears a metal disc diaphragm inside the valve failed catastrophically. It has a huge crack/crease in it. I forgot to get pictures, I'll try to get some.

Archived