LegacyGT.com

Snow tires versus all seasons

I have a POS Legacy wagon with 195 60 15s on it. The tires are worn out but OK for summer. I was thinking about cheap snow tires or biting the bullet on some high quality all seasons. Tiger paw snow tires were on closeout for 50 each on tire rack. I don't know what all seasons to get if going that route.

I guess I rely very heavy on this vehicle for comfort and fuel economy... but have a jeep on mud terrains for the ugly ugly stuff. Doesn't mean its fantastic in snow... but will get through deep stuff the legacy doesn't like with how low it is. I live out in the country and have an hour long drive to work every day.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

As a side question has anyone driven through the winter without an inner fender? I lost one of them (drivers side) at high speed the spring and have a feeling I need that for the slushfest.

50 a tire is a great price if u plan on doing aftermarket rims at all go with snow tires! Also try discounttiredirect.com they have free shipping so normally save money over tire rack, also take tires to walmart for installation they will install tires for $5 a pop!

These cars do phenomenally in the snow, and I never really had a problem with even crappy all-seasons.

Having said that, I splurged on a set of Blizzak WS70 snow tires mounted on a second set of wheels... and it was one of the best investments I have ever made. I will pretty much ALWAYS own a set of dedicated winter tires from this point forward. It's incredible the difference they make.

Then again, I only have one vehicle. You have two, and considering the other one is a Jeep on some off-road tires, you might not feel like spending the extra cash on a set of winter tires for the wagon. However, if you still plan on driving the wagon most of the time in the winter, and in the snow, and you get a lot of snow where you live, you really can't go wrong with winter tires. There is no comparison to all-seasons.

1ft foot of snow.. I drove around it first to see if I would be OK.. I got stuck at the end because I had to slow and stop and look for cross traffic because it's kind of end a curve.

Tires at the General Tire Arctic

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16XkPYK2-ns]Deep Snow Subaru - YouTube[/ame]

1ft foot of snow.. I drove around it first to see if I would be OK.. I got stuck at the end because I had to slow and stop and look for cross traffic because it's kind of end a curve.

Tires at the General Tire Arctic

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16XkPYK2-ns]Deep Snow Subaru - YouTube[/ame]

We're these snow tires or all season?

lol I listed the tires in the above post, they are snow tires.

This one was harder... coming into the lot the snow was blowing over the car so bad which is why the wipers are going... I got about mid way down and I was at full throttle.. some guy in a Nissan Murano got stuck and as I was going in I heard some kids say "Oh great another person who is going to get stuck" I blew the horn at them when I got half way and waved to them as I passed them leaving :)

This year if it's bad again I'm going to do a better camera setup.. It would of been sweet to have a camera mounted on the fender!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQQjAzgAuCM]Driving Subaru in 1 Ft of snow - YouTube[/ame]

Chains are most useful for ice. On deep snow chains dig and because our cars are land so it's kind of 50 50 whether you want to dig or float.

Uhhh what? Chains won't do as well on ice as a good set of winter tires. Chains are good for deep snow and thats about it, really. Unless I'm horribly misinformed.

Sorry... our cars are LOW... and if you dig in rather than pack and float you can get buried up to the underbody. Chains or studs are the only thing that can touch sheer ice like from a bad ice storm

You can't beat winter tires in the snow.

They have massive siping to deal with slush and water.

They have slightly deeper tread when new, it does help to churn through snow but it is primarily to compensate for the rapid wear.

Winter tires are designed to be pliable under 40°, (summer use will tear them up).

Thinner is better due to less resistance.

Must be used in sets of 4, regardless of drivetrain setup.

Studless Blizzaks at a -0 size if you want to use the same wheel diameter. If you can afford an extra set of wheels, -1 them for an even taller sidewall. It will help with the increased bumps usually seen in the bad stuff.

An aggressive tread won't necessarily help as much as you think if it is not a winter compound (BFG M/T).

Chains are not recommended for our cars. EDITSection 7-38 in the owners manual says SAE class S type chains of the correct size may be used on the front wheels only. It also states that while driving with chains to drive at speeds below 19 MPH.

The modern studless winter tire will do pretty good on ice with their high silica content, (silica=powdered sand).

As good as the WS-70s are, You can still find the WS-60s for a bargain.

I wish I could justify the expense for a set. In Northern Virginia we got perhaps 6" of road accumulation combined for the last 3 years.

Cool-We're going to have some stellar snowfall this year! I just jinxed myself.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

only time ive ever needed my chains was up north of flagstaff playing in the snow with the kids. that was my rwd dodge truck tho, i keep fairly agressive all season tires on it, since it sees more dirt than asphalt. only thing that has gotten me stuck is parking on ice. slap on the chains, off i go.

Looking seriously at the General Altimax Arctics.

From my experience with chains on tractors and trucks chains cut to the bottom and grab ice or ground as opposed to packing and using the packed pad of snow as a traction surface. In deep deep snow there is only so much digging you can do before you hit the chassis.

there is one thing more important than tires when driving in the snow.

that is the driver and their experience.

here in VA, we / i do not get enough snow to justify snow tires.

but even when it snows, knowledge and experience is more important.

if you get a lot of snow,

and you can afford a separate set of wheels and snow tires,

and you MUST drive when it snows,

then go for it.

but if snow is occasional

or not too deep,

or money is tight,

or you do not have a MUST DRIVE job/ situation,

then a good set of all season tires will do just fine.

I'm also in Virginia and all-season tires are all we run. Never any issues in the snow that we do get. I've been driving my old Nissan 4 X 4 for many winters with no issues- looking forward to getting the Legacy out there in the first snow to see how it does being this is the first winter I'll have had it.

I've had my winter tires on all summer (not my fault) I'm not too sure of the amount of wear but it does not look that bad given I only have almost a year on them now.

My other set of tires are in the storage but I need 2 other wheels (aftermarket) which are about a inch bigger then stock.

I was delayed in getting off my WS70s for an extra month or two after winter, and I can definitely tell that I took off some extra tread. More than the wear though, is that winter tires are downright dangerous to drive on in the summer... they have very little grip on warm days, not to mention the handling is complete crap.

yep.. I had to slow down and make a lane change it's not something I want to do and miss my exit again..

Around 50 F the blocks start to stiffen up again.. but better then me running summer tires when the temps drop under 40F

• 2 weeks later...
Looking seriously at the General Altimax Arctics..

I have had these (Generals) on my Legacy Sdn. for the past two winters here in NE PA. Have used dedicated snows on our Subaru Impreza & Legacy since 1997. We have used up MANY sets over the past 360K miles. Blizzak's (WS50's & WS60's) are excellent snows, but 'squishy' when warm. Michelin Arctic Alpins were good, but not fun in the rain & on concrete due to the excessive noise. I LOVED these General Arctic Alpins for the past several seasons; they are 90% the performance of the Blizzak's when unstudded, and only like 65/70% the price of the Blizzaks. Also got better gas mileage, were quieter, and predictable if the weather got warm. Looking to get a new set soon.....

there is one thing more important than tires when driving in the snow.

that is the driver and their experience.

^^^THIS! I've driven in snow all my life. I blew all my savings on a trans am and ended up driving it through winter couple years back. It got a little sketchy sometimes but never had a real problem.

As long as you do the whole "respect the weather" thing then aggressive all-seasons ought to be fine for most.....with the exception of people who live with the polar bears and get crazy snow fall. I'm figuring on throwing some yoko ascends on the subaru this year. The whole buy 3 get 1 promo, knocks them down to under 90 a pop.

The frame rusted out on my Jeep. This is a double whammy because I HAVE to replace it or repair it with something because I need it for farming. So no tires for the Legacy. The tread thankfully isn't too bad compared to what I used to drive on, so that plus AWD should be ok.

Thanks all for the great replies. IrishLT you are a brave man! Thats insane lol.

I drove my legacy for two winters in town and up logging roads with almost bald all seasons. It did great with the 50/50 mod. Ice was a problem though. I always choose all seasons. But like everyone says it's driver experience. Not doubting yours.. Just sayin. Do ya have a tj?

I disagree, however, you're entitled to your own annoying opinion. Even if the ratio isn't exactly 50/50, the '50/50' mod clearly makes it a hell of a lot closer. It binds on dry pavement and you have no lurch from the front wheels spinning first. Even when you add substantially more power to the engine.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite.html

Archived