LegacyGT.com

how do you guys do it..

how do you guys drive you car in the snow or any outdoor drive? cuz today i got a car wash a week after going snowboarding and after every car wash i come home and wipe down the spots those mofo's missed. as i was cleaning i saw sooo many chipped paint :eek:from rocks and dirt in every little place i could see. how about the salt on the road they put wont it rust the bottom of the car? i never want to take my car up there again, although it was fun:)

am i being to anal about this i know subies are meant to be driven like this but man seeing scratches,dings, and paint chips drives me :spin::spin: :mad: :mad: WTF..........

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You wouldn't believe the razzing I took yesterday from my 2 sons, because I was driving my old 2wd pickup instead of my Spec B in 4" of snow. The car has everything for nasty cold weather, heated seats, windshield wiper deicers, AWD, traction control, etc. BUT it's lowered, has oversized summer tires and clean.

My old pickup is tough, reliable, and has taken me through all kinds of bad weather without a hitch AND most people do not want to chance a crash with an old truck. Has anybody else noticed that people will pull up to a stop sign and if you're in something nice, they just pull out? When you're in a battle scarred road warrior, they don't do that.

you're in cali, u can wash your car everyday of the year if you desire. you'll be fine.

where as here in the midwest, we just got 8+" of snow. so sand and salt are everywhere. I just take it to a touchless car wash once a week and get the under body sprayed. and yes rally armor flaps ftw!

It's a car, meant to be driven. I drive it. Once in awhile I wash it.

Agreed, Yet I keep the pink bish in the garage when the salt is out :lol: That car is WAY more likely to start unibody rust than the subi is tho. My wife's 05 hardly has any rust on the underside except for the obviously exhaust, but my Beretta's rust like a bastard so I'm keeping that one away from it.

Also my Subi was purchased so I would have an AWD vehicle to use in the winter since my 95 FWD Beater was getting rough and didn't run well in snow.

If Your talking about chipped paint on the hood I got hundreds and hundreds of crowfeet looking things all over my hood. Everywhere else looks good. But I'm going to repaint the hood this spring so hope it turns out good will no more chips or crowfeet. Also why not wash your car all by yourself and not those places. I just washed and put a coat of wax on by myself here in Minnesota at 5 degrees and it only cost me $3

Believe it or not, I put 92k miles on my 05 LGT before I found the first stone chip on the hood. It's nice not driving behind semis on interstates. Rural roads ftw!

Following to closely to any vehicle gets stone/debris chips.:) And when someone tailgates me on a bad road or in snow and slush ( like it makes a difference on a clogged interstate:lol:), I simply move to the left to throw as much crap, salt, sand, etc behind me so the the jerk behind me gets a nice sand, salt and crap blasting.:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

You live in LA, stop complaining. I wish I had a dollar for every chip in my paint...I'd be a millionaire. Not to mention the big spot of black paint missing from the right front bumper corner since 05.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

when someone tailgates me on a bad road or in snow and slush I simply move to the left to throw as much crap, salt, sand, etc behind me so the the jerk behind me gets a nice sand, salt and crap blasting.:lol:

I'll have to remember that one :lol:

As for worrying about the chips, I beleive RAO has some good pointers on how to avoid them :rolleyes: here is some wise advice from him (I hope he doesn't mind me referencing him)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/am-thinking-driving-my-car-good-ideai-108079.html?t=108079

Seriously though, it's a car, meant to be driven. If you want to show it, then garage it and only drive it on sunny days, otherwise enjoy it and don't worry about the little chips. Maintenece anything major to avoid rust. As much as I love my car and Subarus, in the end a LGT is a budget sports car, not a Ferrari

Wow, just skimmed over Rao's post. That's just plain crazy. Don't mean to offend him or anyone else on this forum but its a Legacy. Its not a Ferrari or Lambo. I bought this car as my beater/winter car.

I'll have to remember that one :lol:

As for worrying about the chips, I beleive RAO has some good pointers on how to avoid them :rolleyes: here is some wise advice from him (I hope he doesn't mind me referencing him)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/am-thinking-driving-my-car-good-ideai-108079.html?t=108079

Seriously though, it's a car, meant to be driven. If you want to show it, then garage it and only drive it on sunny days, otherwise enjoy it and don't worry about the little chips. Maintenece anything major to avoid rust. As much as I love my car and Subarus, in the end a LGT is a budget sports car, not a Ferrari

Nice technique, Robin!:lol:

Works the same way on the track:lol: :lol:It is very difficult to pass when the jerk me (me:lol:) provides zero visibility by intentionally driving on the wettest part of the track;)

I am a Little devil:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Meh, quit being a puss. Half the fun of having a subaru is driving it hard in the snow, dirt, etc. Mine has been salty and muddy for weeks now :)

This is the first year I have washed mine between early Nov and late March since I've owned it. Got some $3.00 car wash coupons.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

One more thing, my snow boots are too clumsy (big) on the pedals.

I will not walk through several inches of snow & slush, then change my shoes so I can drive the car safely.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I do exactly the same. lol: But then, maybe that's a girl thing. It's hard to heel and toe in heels and it is also expensive to grind expensive shoes on a floor mat:lol:

Wow, just skimmed over Rao's post. That's just plain crazy. Don't mean to offend him or anyone else on this forum but its a Legacy. Its not a Ferrari or Lambo. I bought this car as my beater/winter car.

No offense taken here as I share in Rao's ideas. :rolleyes:

Archived