LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM clutch last?

vr4Legacy

How long did your stock clutch setup last?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. How long did your stock clutch setup last?

• 50k Miles - 60k Miles
    • 60k Miles - 70k Miles
    • 70k Miles - 80k Miles
    • 80k Miles - 90k Miles
    • 100k + Miles SUCKAS!!!
    • Upgraded before it blew
    • We use KM up here and I don't wanna convert for you eh!!

Just as the poll states, I'm curious how long everyone actually gets out of their OEM setup. I realize the TOB seems to be a problem before the clutch too, and of course that then becomes the time to replace.

I also left an option for those who just upgraded before the clutch went.

I'm at 68k and the clutch seems to be going strong :cool:

I lumped it into the 90k svc along w/timing belt and a few other things that made sense since the tranny was going to be done anyway.......the OEM clutch still had some life left in her but it was starting to act up. I've been stg 2 for the last 60k and drive pretty aggressively.

^^ that thread is want prompted me to put up this poll. The thread is posted in the 4th gen misc sub-forum, I was hoping to get more results and a more quantatitive number by using a poll. I searched and I couldn't find any polls for longevity of OEM clutch, just a few on what to replace with.

^ Good stuff - I see your logic. :)

I didn't vote up at the top 'cause I think my usage is truly atypical. :redface:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Replaced mine at 80k miles, had maybe 10-20k miles left in it, but I wasn't messing with a grenading TOB. No launches, but plenty of aggressive driving.

Replaced OEM PP, TOB and disk, and had the FW resurfaced.

I bought my car with 94k on it... It now has 102k. All the documentation with the car had no notes of clutch replacement. Just a wheel bearing or two.

So I'm assuming it's still the stock clutch. I plan on replacing it sometime possibly this winter since I'm shooting to go to stage 2 as well.

mine lasted 95,000km's died a horrible death. A trader on local forum contacted me said you could fix it for 400, drove 2 hours to him, took off the gearbox and release bearings went all over the floor! he ordered up wrong clutch, He put in a temporary clutch, slipping like crazy all the way home when you tried to put the power down,he actually put in a a 2nd hand clucth from a non turbo impreza into it to "get me home" until correct clutch arrived In the end the asshole only replaced the clutch disc, which ended up destroying the flywheel some how. Which resulted in crazy horrible shuddering when pulling off from stop.

Eventually ended up sourcing my own Exedy replacement clutch and solid flywheel from New Zealand and is a vast improvement over stock clutch!

I was gathering numbers to figure out when I should replace my clutch to be safe, before I'm stuck somewhere. If I have an '08, I already have a single mass flywheel, right? Would I still need to replace it? Should I have it resurfaced?

This is assuming I change the clutch before it needs it. I am and 68k right now and hope to hold off til spring. Which will probably put me at around 75k. I don't think the winter driving here will wear too much on the clutch, as we don't get too much deep snow.

Thanks for the feedback and posting numbers on the poll!

I was gathering numbers to figure out when I should replace my clutch to be safe, before I'm stuck somewhere. If I have an '08, I already have a single mass flywheel, right? Would I still need to replace it? Should I have it resurfaced?

This is assuming I change the clutch before it needs it. I am and 68k right now and hope to hold off til spring. Which will probably put me at around 75k. I don't think the winter driving here will wear too much on the clutch, as we don't get too much deep snow.

Thanks for the feedback and posting numbers on the poll!

Wait til the clutch starts slipping. Once it starts to slip, you still have about another 2-3000 miles before the car is completely undrivable (at least in my experience). With that many miles, you COULD get the flywheel resurfaced, but you may as well just buy a new one, that way you dont have to have any doubts. Your car is single mass from the factory, by the way.

On the search for a new DD...

• 3 weeks later...
TOB went at about 77,000 miles. Went from working fine to undriveable over the course of just a couple miles; had to have it towed to the shop for replacement.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• 3 weeks later...

74k miles here, stage 2. Ordering the ACT hd + single mass flywheel in a day or two. Is the TSK3 kit necessary? How beneficial is it?

Also, I lack the ability to throw her up on a lift, would $300 seem reasonable for a clutch job at a friends shop?

LOL most will laugh at how long mine lasted. 15k. Let's just say I didn't know how to drive manual prior to buying the car and I live on a steep hill with 4 traffic lights. That plus learning to launch the car over and over lead to it's premature death. I had fun though and I love the ACT kit so I don't find it as a loss lol.

^ :lol: Hey, you've gotta learn some-time, and some how. :) Points for being man/woman enough to cowboy-up the tale. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Didnt last very long for this one kid...I overheard one costco employee talking to another costco employee, the 2nd employee didnt really say anything just listened

She was very very mad with her son

My sons car is at the dealer again, this time for another clutch replacement. He didnt know they called me when he used the credit card. When I get home he is going to be in sooo much trouble!!

This clutch only has 20k miles on it and he replaced his clutch 4 times already!!:mad:

I dont know why he bought the wrx, I thought he said it was suppose to be better then the other cars he had.

He used to have a Tiburon and never had a problem with the clutch, and didnt go throught this many clutches in his SRT4. And he track raced his SRT4!!!

We are going a Stage III clutch cause its suppose to be better:rolleyes:

She was sooo mad, I started laughing when she said WRX, not because they are bad cars but because he prob abuses the car. AWD launch and stuff...

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Archived