LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think the h4DIT will be underpowered try out a mazda cx9. I don't think the reviews have called it underpowered at all. I would expect the subaru to be about the same.

And the new Outback weighed more than the tribeca if memory serves and its sales with the H4 are pretty strong. And as of yet no rash of rear collisions on the interstate on-ramps.

I firmly believe the 2.4 will replace the 3.6 in the legacy/outback, I just hope they will give a manual option for the trans, nothing worse than finally getting another turbo and its attached to that HTcvt.

Curb weight for 2016 Outback 3.6R Limited is ~3800 lbs, about 400 lbs lighter than the 2014 Tribeca with the 3.6 H6.

Long-term towing review of Mazda CX-9 Signature with 2.3DIT and CVT. FWD with AWD added so torque steer is involved. Taken to about 2500 lbs of maximum 3500 lbs - decreasing traction, acceleration and braking noticed. All key factors if you tow a lot.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

We held off buying a 2014 Tribeca because we knew this was coming. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by just how good a package it is.

I'm really hoping they'll keep the H6 for top-tier models. It would make a lot of sense to have the 2.4 DIT for mainstream models, but have a 3.6 DIT (or even a 3.0 DIT) for top-of-the-line.

for subaru to have a H6DIT, the car will be in the high 40k's price range. they wont sell much of them. they currently dont have a trans, other than the old 5eat that could handle the power an engine like that could make, so a bespoke trans and engine in low volume is $$$. we know the HDCVT has trouble with stage 2 tuning on the 2.0DIT, so unless subaru has a fancy new autotrans in the works for the ascent, prepare to be underwhelmed.

I thought I remembered the Outback being heavier, but guess not.

So in reading the review of the CX-9 the subaru should fair well with a heavier trailer than the Mazda given the full-time awd and most likely rear bias, as well as what I would suspect will be bigger brakes than what the competition probably has.

Now I am really intrigued, has anyone heard of a release date timeframe?

Edited by FLlegacy

IMHO a turbo 4 shouldn't be an issue. The way the CX-9 is designed/tuned there's quite a bit of low-end torque which is what you need with heavy vehicles. By comparison it felt quite a bit more peppy than a 9-speed Pilot (we drove both back to back).

Wife and I are waiting for this to come out. If it disappoints maybe I'll go back to pushing for a GX460.

for subaru to have a H6DIT, the car will be in the high 40k's price range. they wont sell much of them. they currently dont have a trans, other than the old 5eat that could handle the power an engine like that could make, so a bespoke trans and engine in low volume is $$$. we know the HDCVT has trouble with stage 2 tuning on the 2.0DIT, so unless subaru has a fancy new autotrans in the works for the ascent, prepare to be underwhelmed.

I agree.

I've researched the limited Highlander, Pilot, Explorer, Acadia, and other Midsize SUVs. With uprated power and AWD additions, they're all in the $40+K pricerange, and the upscale models go up further from there.

Given that Subaru already is an AWD platform, and has experience with both DI and DIT, they could pull this off at likely less than a hard $40K, but as you mentioned, the long-pole in that equation is the transmission.

Enthusiasts don't bring massive profits for car makers. It'll sell fine with a turbo 4 and CVT if the rest of the car is compelling. Joe consumer doesn't seem to mind the CVT in other models because the rest of the car is that compelling. Obviously a CVT in a performance application is a terrible combination but that's not the vehicle in question.

The XC90 is flying off the lots with a Chinese made 4 banger because the rest of the car is that awesome. Hell, the base E-class engine is now a turbo 4. It's not nearly as big of a deal anymore.

The turbo 4 I am fine with, its the longevity of the CVT coupled with towing duty on a 4K+LB awd suv. Even for a subaru that's a lot to overcome, and with the HT-cvt not being able to live with Stage 2 power from the 2.0DIT...my confidence isn't high.

But, since we have but speculation to go on we can hope there is a traditional auto gearbox in the works as well.

I was just looking at the specs for the Kia Stinger. I know it's a sedan, but the engine specs show what Subaru could do for the Ascent (and for the Legacy):

2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cyl engine, 255 hp and 260 lb.-ft. of torque

3.3-liter twin-turbo V6 engine, 365 hp and 376 lb.-ft. of torque

At the bottom of this page:

http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/vehicles/upcoming-vehicles/2018-stinger

I am going to wait couple of years after Ascent comes out and let Subaru sort things out. too many changes in known engine/tranny combo with Ascent.

I did the head gaskets on our 07 Tribeca last year @ 150K. Should be good for few more years.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

a 3.6 DI, low-pressure turbo, would easily be in the 300/350 HP/TQ realm. Perhaps a long-stroke 3.4 DIT with high-pressure (16 psi+), would even be in the 375/400 range, but not sure Subaru wants an H6 in the mix at this point. Just don't offer an H6 in NA form, because ROW NA V6s seem to be making much more than the 256/247 HP/TQ with decent mpg ratings.

a 3.6 DI, low-pressure turbo, would easily be in the 300/350 HP/TQ realm. Perhaps a long-stroke 3.4 DIT with high-pressure (16 psi+), would even be in the 375/400 range, but not sure Subaru wants an H6 in the mix at this point. Just don't offer an H6 in NA form, because ROW NA V6s seem to be making much more than the 256/247 HP/TQ with decent mpg ratings.

there is still the autobox problem. Until Subaru comes out with a auto that can handle over 300hp/tq, all this engine speculation is just that.

there is still the autobox problem. Until Subaru comes out with a auto that can handle over 300hp/tq, all this engine speculation is just that.

Agreed. Would like to see a revised 5-6 speed autobox. Jatco or Aisin has got to have one that would work without a lot of reengineering.

Really hope Subaru is not pinning their hopes on the CVT to manage the driven side of what this vehicle will be expected to handle, power-side notwithstanding. Guess we'll know when we know.

Electric hybrid system, no gearbox needed.

Subaru's current "hybrid" has the motor buried inside the CVT, unlike the typical setup which is a sandwich setup between the engine and the trans.

I really hope Subaru does not repeat their mistake with tranny and engine tuning issues on B9 that lead to 3.6 appearance and 5EAT design changes with Ascent. Our B9 drives fine but certainly has "a character" that took some getting used to.

2005 Toyota Sienna that we used for few years along with Beca had similar 6 cyl and 5EAT and was much more predictable when it was coming to downshifts and upshifts.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

If I am not mistaken, the 2013(2012?) Legacy 2.0DIT was making ~ 300hp/300tq and was the first to use the HTCVT and the turbo DIT engine. Subaru continued to used that powertrain combination in the Levorg 2.0GT and the WRX S4. If there were major issues I am sure it would have popped up by now.

Those are both much lighter vehicles than the Ascent will be without towing ability, cargo, or passengers for that matter. If you read into the HT-cvt with the wrx and FXT there are plenty of issues that arise when more than stock power is added.

Maybe it can handle it maybe it can't, I wont be putting my family in one until its been proven reliable over more than 5 years. Still holding out hope for a traditional auto though!

If I am not mistaken, the 2013(2012?) Legacy 2.0DIT was making ~ 300hp/300tq and was the first to use the HTCVT and the turbo DIT engine. Subaru continued to used that powertrain combination in the Levorg 2.0GT and the WRX S4. If there were major issues I am sure it would have popped up by now.

the HDCVT fails when the USDM wrx gets stage 2 tuning. this is confirmed multiple times on nasioc and is the reason why Cobb wont make a stage 2 map for CVT WRX's. Stage 1, or about 300 crank hp/tq is about the safe limit for those boxes. So the box is at its limit at 300hp and then you want to put it in a 4500lb SUV that im sure people will want to use for some tow duty, instead of a 3300lb car. Kaboom