LegacyGT.com

Engine noise

Hey guys,

My 05 leggy gt limited is making a weird creaking noise, can't figure out what it is. It goes away with higher rpm but is prevalent during idle. Sounds like its coming from the alternator but I'm not sure.

I've looked at countless videos with weird engine noises and couldn't find one that sounds like mine so I posted one on YouTube. Sorry about not rotating it, did it from the phone and didn't really bother to change that.

http://youtu.be/OiBlwBnITuA

Help!

Try tightening the belt a little bit to see if it makes a difference, could be loose. They tend to stretch with time. Not sure why these engines dont have automatic tensioners...

you could also try removing the accessory belts, and try spinning each pulley by hand. if you feel/hear any roughness, that could be your culprit.

also, just checking, how's your oil level?

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Oil level is about 75%, this noise was unaffected after an oil change. The noise increases in frequency with higher rpm (pointing towards something with the belt) but disappears with an rpm of about 2k+.

Not sure if related, but I get a bit of belt slip/noise when I'm in reverse and at full lock. Definitely could do with a bit of a tighten.

(Noise has been happening a while, thought it was caused by frigid temperatures that seem to make death rattles and squeaks with any moving part.)

Can someone please help me diagnosis this noise my car is making. I did my best and tired to look for the source and I think it's coming from downpipe where the turbo meet or down pipe to mid pipe. I'm not to sure and could be wrong with this. This is why I asked for help. I tired to upload the video but it's taking for ever. Tried to uload the URL but keep getting error. So here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRfCH93ovV0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

PLEASE HELP!!! A first Owner #Subbie #Scubby lover. Thanks

Removed the belts and spun the pump, alt ac and idler. All seemed fine without any rough spots or noise. Tightened them back up and started the engine. No noise so far, but this noise has a tendency to go away and reappear. Hoping it was a case of under tightened belts as they seemed a bit loose before I took them off.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know if it comes back.

when I press on the clutch noise still stay the same does fade or change or anything. In the vid it was a stand still with a little rev and the noise gets louder with that little rev. On a roll shifting on low rpm under 3k is pretty noticeable inside and out. But on high rpm the noise fade and it's not noticeable.

Archived