LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy Remote Start?

Which Remote Starter?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which Remote Starter?

• Subaru OEM Remote Starter
    • Compustar Pro T11
    • Viper Smart Start

Hi Guys, I just bought my First Subaru a 2017 Legacy Limited/Smart Start and I am looking into Remote Starters. I am wondering if anyone of you have any experience with the OEM Starter from Subaru?

My only hope with a OEM Starter is the Plug N Play and hoping Starlink might add Remote Start from the Moblie App in the future.

I am also looking at a Compustar Pro T11 and a Viper Smart Start. Which would you recommend out of the 3?

I did get the 7/100,000 Mile Warranty when I bought the Car so I want to make sure that I won't be Voiding my warranty with an Aftermarket Starter if that is better choice?

Please let me know what you think would be the best option. Thank You!

^^^

Is this correct? I could have sworn that it is possible if you agree to the upcharge Starlink service (which I didn't do so I can't confirm).

<edit> Never mind - it's correct. Starlink will let you access the horn, lights, lock/unlock doors, but no remote start: http://www.subaru.com/engineering/starlink.html </edit>

^^^

Is this correct? I could have sworn that it is possible if you agree to the upcharge Starlink service (which I didn't do so I can't confirm).

<edit> Never mind - it's correct. Starlink will let you access the horn, lights, lock/unlock doors, but no remote start: http://www.subaru.com/engineering/starlink.html </edit>

Yep..

But remote start with the app would be great...

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

i have the Compustar remote start with the Drone mobile cell phone app in my 2017 Legacy sport,it works great but its not plug n play.Also you will have to upgrade the OEM battery with this set up because it has about an 85milliamp draw which will drain the stock battery if you dont start the car every day-my stock battery was down to 10.1 volts after sitting for 1 1/2 days,i upgraded to an optime red top and it holds up great.

I am considering a Viper/Python 5906 ~ They just now made the parts available for the installer to order: for a 2017 Limited w/eyesight. I want the 1mile range from a dedicated fob + you can add smart start if you want via phone

i have the Compustar remote start with the Drone mobile cell phone app in my 2017 Legacy sport,it works great but its not plug n play.Also you will have to upgrade the OEM battery with this set up because it has about an 85milliamp draw which will drain the stock battery if you dont start the car every day-my stock battery was down to 10.1 volts after sitting for 1 1/2 days,i upgraded to an optime red top and it holds up great.

Hi, how well does the Drone App work? I was worried with all the bad reviews.

I only have experiance with drone mobile so i cant speak for the other brands..Drone has been flawless for me and my wifes car-their service plan is cheap and you dont have to be a dealer to install/activate it..it gives you the cars voltage reading and interior temp if the temp probe is installed.If my compustar alarm goes off my phone goes crazy with a loud siren noise.The Drone 3400 is tiny so its easy to install under the dash.

Types of Remote Starters

1-Way Start - You tap a button on an additional fob and the car starts. You need to look out the window to make sure the car is running. This is the cheapest remote start costing around $250 installed.

2-Way Start - You tap a button on an additional fob and the car starts. Fob light changes color to indicate the car is running. Starts around $400 completely.

App or Cellular Start -- You start your car with an app on your phone. Takes 5 seconds to send the signal and you get a confirmation the car is running. No additional key fob necessary. $400 - 750 + annual $50 - $75 service fee

Remote Start options for the current Legacy:

OEM Subaru remote start -- Dealer installed for $275 - $400

Pro: Easiest to install (as long as the dealer knows what they are doing)

Con: Multiple members have complained on this forum that the range is terrible. The engine shuts off as soon as you open the car door and you need to start the car again when you get inside. No other system has these problems.

Viper Remote Start (Fob Based) — 1-Way - $250 - $300 // 2-Way - $450 - $550

Pro: Viper is the gold standard for fob based remote start. Available in 1-way or 2-way.

Con: You MUST be willing to carry another fob/remote on your key chain. Range is limited on less expensive motels.

ViperSmart Start (Cellular and App Based) — $600 - $700

Pro: Works anywhere with confirmation.

Con: Annual fee of $80. Takes longer to start than Drone. Only can start the car using the Smart Star app unless you pay more for a system with an extra fob.

Compustar Drone Mobile (Cellular and App Based) — $450 - $550

Pro: Turns on rear windshield defroster automatically when temp is below 42 degrees. Turns on windshield wiper heater and heated mirrors. Can use the OEM remote to start the car from short distances.

Con: Annual fee of $50 a year

Which system should you buy:

I want the cheapest: Viper Single Button

My car is a lease: Subaru OEM

I can’t see my car from my home/office window: Compustar Drone

I want something simple to sure: Compustar Drone

I live where it snows a lot: Compustar Drone

You can never go wrong with Drone as long as you’re willing to pay the annual fee.

FAQ:

Q: Why can't I get the remote starter the store advertises for $99?

A: The Legacy requires a special box called an engine immobilizer bypass so that the remote starter can work. This costs extra and you can't get around it for any non-oem remote starter. No store includes it for free.

Q: Why does a system cost more for push-to-start cars?

A: Key and push to start require different setups. This is true for OEM and Aftermarket.

Q: Why do some systems cost more?

A: Range. Some are 250 feet, others are a mile. All systems clearly state the range. Cellular has the longest range.

Q: Does Drone or Smart Start always work?

A: Generally if you can see the sky, yes. In parking structures or underground you might have problems. This is true of fob based systems as well.

Q: Why don’t you recommend any Compustar fob based systems?

A: The fobs are ugly and feel poorly made. Viper fobs feel like they’re OEM quality. It’s a personal choice.

Q: Who does a better job installing a system, the dealer or local shop?

A: Asking the dealer to install a remote starter is like asking a plumber to install a light fixture. They can do it, but they're often not the best and can miss lesser known issues. Dealers are best at engine work, not dealer installed accessories. Most dealers use less qualified techs for dealer installed accessories.

Q: Should I go to a local shop or Best Buy?

A: Look for a shop that does a lot of remote start installs. The busy shop is usually the good shop. Ask if they’ve done a current model Legacy or Outback recently. Don’t hesitate to ask if the installed is MECP certified. http://www.mecp.com/Employers.aspx

MECP Basic / Installer — I won’t let you touch my car

MECP Advanced — Can do a good job

MECP Master — Will do a better job than the dealer

Note: At Best Buy, each installer has a MECP patch on their shirt. Ask which level they are.

http://www.tunesntint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/MECP-Professional-Installation.jpg

***** All remote starter’s listed are known to work with the Legacy. Any remote starter is only as good as the installer. If you have issues, it’s likely an installation problem, not a system incompatibility *****

I have a Compustar Drone Mobile (Cellular) remote start. Can't say enough good things about it.

Reasons I bought it:

-- No extra junk on my keychain

-- I can remote start from the OEM Subaru key fob if I want

-- I can remote start from the iPhone app

-- System automatically turns on the rear defroster, wiper blade defroster, and heated mirrors when the temp is below 42 degrees

-- System has an all-in-one brain and no additional parts cobbled together (Viper has multiple modules)

-- Antenna can be completely hidden and not visible anywhere. Nothing is poking out or stuck to my windshield. It looks OEM.

I just finish installing of Fortin Evo-One remote start/alarm/bypass and it was a very easy install especially with T-Harness.

Which rf kit did you get. I have push button start so I can't use the t harness

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Actually, the range on the oem KEY start model is excellent. Advertised as 400 meters, it works well. It's the factory optional push button starter remote start that has the terrible range.

Yes, the engine stops when you open the door (key start). Big whoop. There are bigger problems in life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Actually, the range on the oem KEY start model is excellent. Advertised as 400 meters, it works well. It's the factory optional push button starter remote start that has the terrible range.

Yes, the engine stops when you open the door (key start). Big whoop. There are bigger problems in life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

For the OEM do you get a confirmation if the car started? Also does it turn on defroster automatically?

Im pretty close to buying the fortin Evo one with the flash module and rf fobs. All together amazon has those 3 sets for 280.

thats a pretty good price,are you going to get the T-Harness also?it will make much easier install and less wires to tap into,and no cutting any wires from the key ignition harness..

thats a pretty good price,are you going to get the T-Harness also?it will make much easier install and less wires to tap into,and no cutting any wires from the key ignition harness..

They don't make the t harness for the push button start. I did email them asking if it would work but I doubt it would if it's not listed

Im pretty close to buying the fortin Evo one with the flash module and rf fobs. All together amazon has those 3 sets for 280.

For the OEM do you get a confirmation if the car started? Also does it turn on defroster automatically?

Yes, the fob beeps twice to confirm the car started. A light flashes every five seconds or so to confirm it's still running. When the starter times out the fob beeps three times to tell you the engine shut down.

The climate control is up to the user. Leave it on when you leave the car.

The Drone Mobile Seems good but I was thrown off by the Bad Ratings on the iOS App store. What do you guys think?

When you touch start, the car starts. The rest of the app is as useless as Subaru Starlink.

When you touch start, the car starts. The rest of the app is as useless as Subaru Starlink.

Off topic a bit but how is Starlink useless? I've used it to be sure doors are locked and used the car locator a number of times. It could also be used to find the car in the event of theft, too. No, it won't start the car, be nice if it did. That hardly makes the app useless.

I have the key fob OEM starter and love it. Had it on three Subis. My 15 and 17 both start while I m in a restaurant and can t even see the car. It was probably 50 yards or better in distance too. Two different places I go. More than one wall too, never would have guessed it.

Archived