LegacyGT.com

Legacy STi swap Tunning

rs4buddy

I'm sure this has been covered many many times, but i just cant seem to put my finger on a direct answer. So i just finished a full EJ257 swap into a 05 LGT using the sti manifold, vf39, etc etc, basically everything from a sti when you pop the hood open. I reused the LGT engine harness so that i didnt have to do any kinda of wiring merge.

I presume that i will require a tune.... so just want to know, i know that some of the guys here did the sti intake manifold conversion with the sti turbo set up... what kind of tune was required? Is there a map i can flash onto the car to run a bit safer, if there is any threat to the motor?

Thanks

Jason

An STi turbo is larger than the stock turbo. Anytime you change airflow significantly, your ecu will see loads and maf ranges above what they are correctly scaled/tuned for. Stay out of boost until you get tuned. Are you running opensource or the cobb ap?

If you used the heads, you need to merge a wiring harness. You would have dual ACVS. Otherwise, we have done a few STi manifold swaps on LGT's. Also, you are going to deff need a tune. Car might star, but it wont run for a damn.

bnguyenbb6- thanks for the info! im planning on running opensource, i want to flash a map on the car, with the sti turbo set up. does anyone have any pointers on doing so?

m sprank- i didnt have to merge wiring harness, i picked up a 04 sti motor, everything was plug and play and dropped right in. Unless there is something i didnt catchh.... the car currently runs and pulls pretty good.. just kinda skeptical of driving it hard without a tune.

Are there certain tables from a stock STi map than can be copied over to the LGT map that could at least get a car such as his running before he gets tuned? I know a lot of people have a need for a temporary map so they can either A. Drive their car while working with Shamar, B. Getting their car to a tuner or C. having a starting point to tune their car themselves.

OP says it is running. I am sure it is. But turbo is so different that at any boost level the tune is going to be off. Idle, and low RPM/low load area of tunes are generally left alone by tuners if fueling is stock. So, car should idle and run fine 2000rpm and under. From there to 3000 rpm is going to be so/so. Maybe the ecu can adjust for some of it. From 3000rpm up, asking to blow the motor. Yes there are tables that could be copied. That discussion is on romraider.

I have had this swap done previously as well. I used an 07 ej257... essentially the spitting image of the OP's setup. I had Junior @ The Shop CT tune my car to 286 whp conservatively. Upon comparing the Protune tables to the stock LGT tables it seems as if Junior didn't touch much except for the boost map and maybe added some timing for my larger tmic. It is highly possible that i may have missed other things too and im not at all speaking flagrantly about Junior's work. Junior in fact does some awesome tuning; but, for my goals it didnt seem like he had to mess with much.

EDIT: BTW, i've seen the OP's car in person. It runs, idles, pulls almost as if a stock sti should. Just gotta see what happens on the dyno tune. My car was running pig rich during the base run on the dyno.

Archived