LegacyGT.com

Catted vs. non catted.

05regblue

Hey guys,

So I've been doing a ton of research on here. I just purchased a CNT catted downpipe and autospeed catback along with a STI uppipe. I was planning on flashing to cobb stage 2. The tuner nearby (in the chicagoland area) asked why I got a catted downpipe and said I'm leaving a lot of power on the table. My response was for emissions, keep exhaust a tad more quiet, and for bad smells. He recommended I get a road tune and ditch the cobb accessport and this should eliminate any of the above issues.

Can anybody tell me from experience the best route to go? I'm trying to get some better hp gains over stage 1 and add a little bit of sound without making it obnoxious. By the way, the autospeed catback has the resonator replaced with a magnaflow glassback to quiet things down a bit.

Any help is appreciated.

• Moderators

You are not leaving significant power on the table. A custom tune will always be better than an off-the-shelf tune (i.e. Cobb AP) as long as it is done properly. Sound is based largely on the "catback" portion of your exhaust (post-downpipe). Your tune most likely won't affect the way your car sounds.

Take a look in the tuning forum for how to use a vag-com cable and opensource tools to tune your car. Check in your area for local tuners or get with an etuner and you should be able to end up with a custom tune for you car for the same price as an accessport if you already have a laptop.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm stage 3 and not planning on catback or intake. ROI is too low IMO. I will say that it is REALLY quiet still, probably too quiet if you're looking for some noise.

You're dead on with the reasons you mentioned, plus a catted DP can also help control boost creep. Well worth whatever couple HP you leave on the table IMO.

He told me he would do a road tune for $200 and that if I sell my AP it should pay for itself. He said I wouldnt get any smells from a catless DP because it will not run rich like the cobb ots maps and get much better gains than having a catted. This seems contradictory to what I've read on here and he did not sell me the exhaust.

Both my cars are on Cobb AP with a custom tune. I'm not good with a laptop.

My wagon is catless and makes good hp. I just took the two washer out of the Y pipe to muffler flange to stop the sound of the air pushing out of the gap at WOT. But with the stock mid pipe back the car is to quiet. With two thick washers spacing that flange it had a nice growl to it at most throttle positions.

My 09 Spec has stock exhaust less the mufflers and sounds great.

The catless wagon with stock mid pipe and no mufflers was a bit on the loud side.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you are interested in x02 i suggest this buy the mufflers only and get the rest done at a teputable exhaust shop that way you get better piping and it will properly. I run the obx mufflers currently on the stock y and stock mid pipe and its crooked but i like the note these mufflers give and i got a good deal on em.

Definitely keep up on polishing them if you do..a buddy of mine had his on for a few months and theyre already rusted like crazy..my magnaflows I polish once in awhile or if i have a show, and they always buff up nice and dont pit..if ya want something that will stay looking nice, spend a little money on it..although i will give the xo2's one thing..they do sound nice, not annoyingly loud, just that extra rumble..i just love the magnaflows, so im somewhat biased..haha

Hey. Sorry for temporarily highjacking your thread. But I have a similar question. Hope you don't mind.

I'm planning to get a CNT DP as well and I just can't decide on whether to purchase the catless version or the catted version. I have yet to install my grimmspeed up pipe and I have my SPT CBE installed already.

What do you guys think? Is there a noticeable difference in power between the two? I already went through the emission testing this year and I'll be good for another 2 years. Also, apparently they're going to stop testing for emissions in my city in 2014.

With the set up I mentioned above, which map would I run on the accessport? Stage 1 or stage 2? I also have a K&N Typhoon intake that im planning to put on.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry again for hijacking your thread!

If your good on emissions, I would go catless, especially if you have an ots map from Cobb. The k&n isn't the worst intake but it's far from great..and that you should run a stage 2 ots map..either on 91 or 93..either one you'll be good.

This is terrible advice :rolleyes:. Never run an aftermarket intake with an OTS map. Also, Cobb now says to have a HFC instead of catless for their OTS map. Go read the map notes on their website.

Archived