LegacyGT.com

"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

• Moderators

CONTACT ME DIRECT HERE WITH ANY QUESTIONS: bptmic@gmail.com

WATCH THIS VIDEO FOR TIGHTENING THE STAINLESS STEEL TIES:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4022125&postcount=83

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrRjBk4sEck]DSC 0007 - YouTube[/ame]

Hi everyone!

For those of you who read this post http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bulletproof-tmic-mod-lgt-08-wrx-158870.html you already know what this is. For those who haven’t read it, if you are still running you 05-09 LGT or 08+ WRX with the stock TMIC I highly recommend taking the time to read through the thread.

This modification has been around for some time now as an alternative to those looking to beef up their stock intercooler (either for durability or for increased boost levels) for a reasonable price—not everyone has the cash or the need for an aftermarket TMIC in order to meet their needs. One of the problems with the kit up until now is that the fabrication of the metal pieces required for the kit is difficult, time consuming, and potentially dangerous to those without a reasonable amount of experience in cutting metal. While my second attempt and making my own kit was successful, the first attempt ended with a pile of bent metal and bloody fingers.

With SeeeeYa’s permission (Thanks, Jeff!), I have been looking at some scenarios to get a number of kits fabricated professionally by a machine shop and I believe this will prove to be the solution to providing these kits to those who need them at a reasonable price. I’m pretty confident that the machine shop is set to produce some kits for me, and I’ve been given the go ahead to move forward with this as a homebrew vendor to supply them.

Two kit will include:all of the required aluminum pieces for the kit, plus 2 stainless zip ties to use in lieu of any other sort of mounting hardware (bolts, threaded rod, etc). Pieces in this kit will be straight-cut on each end (instead of angled) and a “groove” will also be machined along the entire length of each of the longer pieces to hold the zip ties; they will not be drilled unless specifically requested. This kit should have everything you need to "bullet proof" your stock TMIC. It should be noted that the stainless steel zip ties will need to be tightened sufficiently, which may or may not be able to be completed with normal tools (read: pliers, vice grips, etc.). It's highly recommended that you purchase a "CV Joint Banding Tool" to use to sufficiently tighten and secure the zip ties--it will make things immensely easier and you can pick one up online for ~$10-15.

Video of zip tie installation with the tool: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4022125&postcount=83

To confirm, here’s what will be included in the kit:

• Four (4) pieces of aluminum channel designed and cut to fit on the top/bottom of the stock TMIC where the end tanks attach to the core
  • One (1) piece of aluminum channel designed and cut to fit on the front passenger corner of the stock TMIC where the end tank attaches to the core
  • Two (2) stainless steel zip ties
  • Three (3) plastic zip ties
  • One (1) corbin clamp

• Instructions for installing the kit

ORDER YOUR KIT HERE: https://sites.google.com/site/bptmickit/

Where can I get the tool to tighten the stainless steel zip ties???

A few choices: NAPA Autoparts, Amazon ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30950-Joint-Banding-Tool/dp/B0002SRCZQ]here[/ame], or I prefer [ame=http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4623-Joint-Banding-Cutter/dp/B00063XX5U]this one[/ame]). I also think that some Autozone's rent them for "free" (you pay for it, then return it when you're done through their rental program).

VERY IMPORTANT CAVEAT: The term "Bullet-Proof" when used in referring to this kit is not meant to imply that installing this kit will make your OEM TMIC impervious to high speed munitions fired from any sort of projectile weapon, device, machine or similar. This kit is only designed to prevent boost pressure from causing end tank separation, and nothing more.

DISCLAMER

Neither I nor the original designer of this kit can take responsibility in the case of damage to anything on your vehicle that results indirectly or directly from the installation of this modification. If you doubt your capacity, do not undertake the installation of this modification; ask for help or have it installed by someone qualified.

1CDD86AE-AAFF-4CFC-A0DC-B9E84E4DCA9F-2522-00000358746E190F_zpsb91265f2.thumb.jpg.1c1a8567f82267c4b839ac5018d3fc0b.jpg

DSC_0357_zps6faf7d11.thumb.jpg.7d07c09dca541cf8d63e6f54c35e3a36.jpg

DSC_0354_zps5a4f4c20.thumb.jpg.07c6bfbc7e42d97ad667b222a947fcc6.jpg

DSC_0356_zps8dac759d.thumb.jpg.4b6864001eed376c8672483c44323708.jpg

DSC_0355_zps25d5617f.thumb.jpg.d569183de4da802c250d54b927ce3a5a.jpg

Edited by BarManBean

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated Too

bump for a good deal.

I'm the proud recipient of the first Barman kit and am very pleased to report that it shipped quickly and works like a charm.

Might need to do a little filing on the corners, but all-in-all a great, cheap way to ensure the life of the stock IC.

• Moderators
bump for a good deal.

I'm the proud recipient of the first Barman kit and am very pleased to report that it shipped quickly and works like a charm.

Might need to do a little filing on the corners, but all-in-all a great, cheap way to ensure the life of the stock IC.

This first kit was also a homemade version--the same type of kit is also installed on my car. It's my hope that by going through a machine shop for future kits that any extensive finish work will be unnecessary.

• Moderators
I should also mention that I would like for someone local to test the kit with the zip ties if possible prior to shipping all the remaining kits. Local means the Northern Virginia area. Let me know if you are interested in testing fitment / installation.

Thanks BMB for getting this done!

I may have read this in the original thread and forgotten, but why is there only one short piece (for the front passenger corner) and not four (one for each corner)?

• Moderators
Thanks BMB for getting this done!

I may have read this in the original thread and forgotten, but why is there only one short piece (for the front passenger corner) and not four (one for each corner)?

As I've understood it, that corner is actually the most prone to failure. When I installed my kit I actually spoke to Jeff about possibly omitting this piece since it seemed wasteful to buy a whole 8' piece of aluminum just for a 3" piece to install. He let me know that the passenger side corner on the front is the most prone to failure so the piece is necessary. To my knowledge, the other corners are not prone to failure, especially with the rest of the kit installed. You should not have a problem as long as you install the kit PRIOR TO any sort of extreme failure. The tabs on my intercooler were starting to separate a little bit (from 60k miles at stock boost), but they easily pinched back down and the kit has performed well through my stage 2 install, tune, and subsequent driving (~5k miles so far).

Come on gang let's get a couple more commitments! I'm going stage 2 this weekend and need this to get me through until I'm ready to go with a PW TMIC (or the Grimmspeed if it's the right setup for me and is released in the near future). Cheap way to reinforce the OEM TMIC without the hassle or need for tooling to DIY!

• Moderators
Doesn't this kit work for more than just the 05-09 LGT? I seem to remember SeeYa doing it on his current generation WRX. Would it be worth reaching out to some of those owners as well?

You're correct--08+ WRX's have the same intercooler I believe. That community (or rather the leadership of that community) has been "against" this modification for apparent vendor reasons. If this modification makes it's way to the nasioc community, it's going to have to do so organically. Making a post like this to generate interest would not fly over there. I'm not interested in ruffling feathers...yet :p

If you know someone that can benefit from this, certainly point them this way.

Doesn't this kit work for more than just the 05-09 LGT? I seem to remember SeeYa doing it on his current generation WRX. Would it be worth reaching out to some of those owners as well?

Although they deleted my major thread, one started by someone else has survived. I posted in it and there are already people asking about a kit. :)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37624564&posted=1#post37624564

You're correct--08+ WRX's have the same intercooler I believe. That community (or rather the leadership of that community) has been "against" this modification for apparent vendor reasons. If this modification makes it's way to the nasioc community, it's going to have to do so organically. Making a post like this to generate interest would not fly over there. I'm not interested in ruffling feathers...yet :p

If you know someone that can benefit from this, certainly point them this way.

I owe them a ruffle or two.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37624564&posted=1#post37624564

I've been running this kit for well over a year. I have done >10 trackdays at 18 and 20 psi on it. It has and still is holding strong. Highly recommended if you want to run >18psi on the stock TMIC without issues.