LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opie,

Thanks for the guide, looks like an easy DIY with the right tools.

Now some Qs, since it is possible to tow with a USDM Legacy, can Subaru dealers install and warranty the transmission cooler?

Will having the cooler installer by someone else than the dealer void my powertrain/transmission warranty? Will the dealer give me grief about it?

I keed I keeed

Opie,

Thanks for the guide, looks like an easy DIY with the right tools.

Now some Qs, since it is possible to tow with a USDM Legacy, can Subaru dealers install and warranty the transmission cooler?

Will having the cooler installer by someone else than the dealer void my powertrain/transmission warranty? Will the dealer give me grief about it?

No prob!

I'm sure there are dealers that would install a transmission cooler but unfortunately Subaru does not carry a "factory" add-on transmssion cooler for any model except the new Tribeca so more than likely any warranty would be from the dealership themselves and/or the transmission cooler's manufacturer.

As with any accessory or add-on part a dealer could give you grief about it, but like anything else they would need to prove that the transmission cooler directly caused a failure in order to deny a warranty claim.

when installing the tranny cooler, this is also a good time to install an external tranny filter and temp gauge.

the Permacool external filter kit (~$40, Summit Racing, etc.) uses a regular spin-on oil filter, and has a receptacle for a temp sender to make installing a temp gauge pretty easy.

I'll be doing this very soon, which model Hayden did you use?

Would the 1678 just be overkill on our vehicles? I was planning on purchasing the 1677.

I used the #1676, the 1678 is probably overkill...and might be a little cramped in the space.

The leg tranny cooler is within the rad, uses the same unit, just plumbed out to the tranny. Our installations go inside the fan so nothing is cut through the rad, it is not visible at all and it is getting fan blown air for city driving. Just a different idea if people want to try that.

Opie - I thought there was an external filter on the tranny anyway? Is this right?

The transmission does have an external filter, it is screwed to the side of the transmission and looks like an oil filter.

It is integrated into the radiator, meaning the ATF fluid flows into tubes inside the radiator and radiates its heat into the radiator coolant.

Not very efficient since it is a liquid-to-liquid heat exchange compared to a dedicated transmission cooler with a liquid-to-air heat exchange.

I keed I keeed

melayout is correct, the factory cooler (built into the radiator) will only cool the transmission fluid as cool as the radiator is (typically 190-210 degrees). An external transmission cooler is more efficient and cools the fluid better.

Great writeup Opie thanks.

A question. Is heat the major culprit for tranny damage when doing drag type launches? or to put it another way, If I install a quality tranny cooler, can I brake torque to my hearts content and not worry about hurting my 5eat or at least worry a lot less?

Do the pictures show the cooler being located behind the radiator, in front of the fans or on the front of the radiator? Also, is this cooler actually strapped to the radiator itself with plastic through straps? I'm not a mechanical or stress engineer but if this is the case, wouldn't the vibration up/down/sideways on the radiator core (by the cooler) contribute to a potential point of failure? I could not see in the pics what actually stabilizes the tranny cooler from moving around.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I think if this were mounted elsewhere or further in front of the condensor with no connection to the cond/rad, then this would seem like a no-brainer solution to me. As it is it causes me concern on several levels... 1) strapping this to the radiator/condensor, with no other support, and 2) restricting air flow over both as it will be in front of them.

1) How would you stop abrasion between the Trans Cooler and the AC condensor fins and possible condensor core? How would you keep vibration (up/down/sideways) from compromising the structural integrity of the condensor and/or the radiator which supports it from the rear?

2) The condensor and the radiator both exchange a lot of heat, most of it rear-ward but does adding an additional heat "source" ahead of the condensor/radiator, with no apparent major physical separation, add additional heat to the cooling mix?

How does the Tribeca cooler lash up and would it be compatible with our Legacy and OB 4EAT/5EATs?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived