LegacyGT.com

dirty throttle body service!!

08LGT80

so i took the leggy to the dealer for service yesterday. the service advisor suggest that my throttle body is dirty and needs to be cleaned. he said 299.99 for the service. should i do it? is there a cheaper solution? is this something i can do myself? or have anyone have had experience with this before?

You just defined the term "stealership" right there :lol:

I dont see the need to clean it since it's just filtered air going through it.

my friend said that throttle bodies do get dirty sometimes from dust particles that doesn't get filtered from the air intake filter. is this true?

I dare disagree with RAO. On one of my Subaru cruises, I was the last car, bringing up the rear and an hour of dirt/gravel driving did it. I did have sand and dust in my vag...throttle body and throttle body hose and it did need cleaning.T he symptom I had was erratic idle, even stalling and cleaning did remove the problem. But get yourself a throttle body cleaner (spray) and a trusty socket wrench and screwdriver (for the throttle body hose) and do it yourself. If you are still on OEM TMIC it will be brainless easy.

On my jeep, explorer, and now my legacy, black carbon/gunk build up develops there... I have noticed a smoother idle, better throttle response after a good cleaning. $300 is bullsh!t though. Just pull it out and clean it yourself with TB cleaner from autozone, or electrical contact cleaner (sensor safe).

The most important part is getting the black buildup that can occlude the idle air from getting through when the body is closed. Thats pretty much the black stuff that cakes on the top and bottom in between the flap door, might take some good scrubbing but IMO it's a good maintenance habit. Hold the door completely open (full throttle) and scrub the black ring on the top and bottom of the body right where the door would sit when idle....you'll see what I mean

• 1 year later...
i work at a dealership and do prefer the process we use as opposed to using just throttle plate cleaner and a rag. i agree $300 is way too much but it does a hell of a job not only cleaning the throttle body spotless but also the whole intake track after the throttle body. it uses a cleaner and shop air through a machine with a nozzle wedged in between the throttle body hose and throttle body and sprays the cleaner in that way. gets great results but not for $300. i think at my dealer we charge about 100-150ish.

• 2 weeks later...
I would be a little weary of cleaning a drive by wire throttle body unless u are careful. I work at younker nissan right by walkers renton subaru :) and most of our nissans have drive by wire TBs and I have personally replaced a fair amount due to people trying to clean them by themself or improperly and damaging the interals/motors... Just an fyi and to be cautious...

Thanks and mine still seems to be fine. I'm now on to looking at the PCV as my problem post TB cleaning. Would have been nice to be done but looks like I've been lucky with 126k on the stock PCV.

Used caution in cleaning the TB after removed. Used a TB cleaner not carb cleaner... TB cleaner acts much like MAF cleaner in that it evaporates pretty fast. Did take some mechanical help with a rag to get the built up crud off of the high pressure areas.

• 1 month later...

i want to smoke test my entire system. how do i open my electronic Throttle body, (TB) plate correctly? i dont push it like old school do i. can i simply turn the car to ACC and put a brick on the accelerator pedal?

thanks

• 7 months later...

Archived