LegacyGT.com

Accessories for '07 LGT

lonerider

Hi, I'm pretty much decided on the '07 LGT (actually test drove the '07 OBXT, but I never offroad so I assume the LGT is better on the highway). Prior I've been driving a Honda Civic to Lake Tahoe all the time. I don't baby my cars and so if I can pre-protect the leather seats or the trunk space, that would be nice (is there a spray for the leather to protect it from dirt?, so I just get a cover when I know I'm going to get it dirty?)

I'm definitely getting the crossbar set since I need to put on my roofbox/ski rack. Also getting the auto-dimming mirror and compass. Of accessories I'm not so sure about

Rear-Bumping Corner Molding - I have banged the rear corners of my Civic, do these offer much protection? Oh wait, these appears to protect it from stuff getting loaded into the trunk, yes I've scratched my bump that was as well :)

Center Armrest Extension - useful?

All-weather floor mats - I do tend to bringing a lot of dirt/dust into my current car. My fabric floor mats right now are filled with dust and dirt, are these good, or would I be better off just having them shampoo'd at a car wash?

TRUNK STUFF - I do load lots of crap in my trunk on the weekly basis (snowboards, skateboard, hockey equipment). Anyone find the following things useful?

Rear Cargo Tray - seem durable and most importantly, easy to clean off after the fact if I drag dirt in.

Rear Cargo Nets - what's the difference. I just like like to be able to store few things on the sides, but still allow the back seats to be folded down.

Thanks!

I just picked up my 07 LGT wagon this week and I live in Tahoe so I think I know what you need. You should use a good leather conditioner and cleaner on a regular basis (2 to 4 times a year, like detailing your exterior). Lexol is good. Don't use Armor All. The auto dimming mirror is great, it has a greenish cast to the headlights at night. The pop up armrest extension doesn't move it up an forward a huge amount but it is much better than the base armrest. I have had the "all weather" (rubber) floormats since my 2001 LGT and they are great.

As far as bumper protection, you should get a clear bra on your entire front end, hood, bumper, lights and exterior mirrors. If you bang into things at the corners, you should talk to the installer about adding the film to the rear bumper too. I have seen pictures of bumpers that have paint "scrapes" like another bumper hitting a corner and it gets scrapped; they have removed the film, the scrape comes off with the film leaving the bumper clean as if nothing happend. If the bumper did not get dented, they just replaced the film and it's good as new.

Cargo tray is something I've always had in the wagon, since I have two dogs, it's a necessity. Since you'll be up in Tahoe a lot, have about $700 ready for your snowtires. The "all seasons" might get you by if you only come up once or twice a season but they're almost worthless on ice and steep, packed downhill grades. Dunlop SP Wintersport M3 is a fabulous tire, it's smoother, quieter and has much better dry grip than those Bridgestone RE92's that come with the LGT.

Good luck, have fun, it's a fabulous car!

The center armrest extension is nice on long trips, as that's when I actually use it. It gives me somewhere to rest my right elbow.

The all-weather floormats are a must have IMO. Really great in the winter or with muddy shoes. They keep water off the carpets underneath.

I don't have the tray or nets, and I wish I had one of them. I may look in to some sort of aftermarket tray.

Also, I like the Nokian WRs as a good all season tire. Competent in snow and rain. A much better tire for winter conditions than the RE92s. A bit noisier, particularly at certain speeds. Good treadlife warranty too.

Thank you all for the information. It was very helpful, just a few followup questions.

Ok, I'll definitely ask about the clear bra, my friend who owns a WRX has install some 3DM clear cover himself.

For the EDM armrest I found Cheam Motors selling it (http://www.cheammotors.co.uk/products.php?productId=487) Will it be difficult to install myself (I mean I can do basically anything that only requires a screwdriver/allen wrench).

For wheels, the Dunlop SP Wintersport M3 look great - good snow traction, low road noise, and long tread life. I was originally looking at a pair of Nokian RSI or WRs (my snowboarding friends have a few), but am told while they have great snow/ice traction, tend to be a little noisy and wear quickly. What should I do with my stock tires? Should I have them moved onto steel rims and use them in the summer months (where there is ZERO rain)?

Thanks for all the help again!

For wheels, the Dunlop SP Wintersport M3 look great - good snow traction, low road noise, and long tread life. I was originally looking at a pair of Nokian RSI or WRs (my snowboarding friends have a few), but am told while they have great snow/ice traction, tend to be a little noisy and wear quickly. What should I do with my stock tires? Should I have them moved onto steel rims and use them in the summer months (where there is ZERO rain)?

Thanks for all the help again!

You can get your snow tires mounted on steel wheels since they will get beaten more than the summer wheels. Or you can mount the snow tires on the stock wheels, sell the RE 92's, next spring get a great set of summer tires, mount them on a great set of wheels and you'll look and drive awesome! Or you can take off and remount your tires on the stock wheels. It just depends on what you're willing to spend.

You can get your snow tires mounted on steel wheels since they will get beaten more than the summer wheels. Or you can mount the snow tires on the stock wheels, sell the RE 92's, next spring get a great set of summer tires, mount them on a great set of wheels and you'll look and drive awesome! Or you can take off and remount your tires on the stock wheels. It just depends on what you're willing to spend.

1. What's the difference between the Dunlop M3 and M2 models, different size ranges? Should I get the same wheel size?

2.How easy is it to sell the RE92's? Update: I see they sell about $200 brand new in the Classified section.

Since the M3 will probably last over 40k miles, so I might just have them put on my stock wheels, sell the RE92, and replace the M3s with new M3s in 2-3 years. Do you recommend purchasing from tirerack.com and having my dealership mount/balance them?

Ok, so I managed to get on the VIP pricing list, so I'll be buying my car in the next couple of days (yay)!. It will be a Newport Blue Legacy GT wagon with cross bars, autodimming mirror, all-weather floor mats and a cargo tray (oh and XM radio). I will probably order the armrest/storage box from cheam. Anything else I need to know before I purchase? Thanks for all the help!

I dont know if you're on a budget, but I think you can find aftermarket autodimming mirrors, floor mats and cargo trays for much cheaper than dealer supplied.

I've seen auto dimming mirrors in the back of car-and-driving magaine for $79--not sure about the quality, but if you're on a budget, it might be something to look into.

All in all, enjoy the Legacy!

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I just went through VIP pricing and it was a great experience. Make sure they throw in the $750 customer cash that's available now.

I haven't read too many posts on this, but know in advance about the extended warranty. I'm not sure if it's a scam or not, but I sleep better knowing most (I hope) parts are covered under warranty. My last turbo car (MR2) was a mechanical nightmare when it came to turbo related components. They were asking $2500 for 100,000 miles/6 years.

The center armrest extension is great, but loosing the top storage space sucks too! why can't we have both!?!?

My 07 came with the armrest extension and I was told it was a free upgrade, looks like I was sold a factory option at no cost. I'll have to look at the window sticker tonight to make sure. Now I'm curious...

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, my Legacy GT is on the way (factory order). You said wheels get more beaten up during the winter - is that just cosmetic, or will it affect performance? How much would mounting/balancing a set of tires cost?

I'm deciding between mounting my new tires on stock wheels for the winter, and then remounting RE92 for the summer. Would I be better off getting a narrow steel wheel set (like $400-500) and putting on a set Dunlop SP Wintersport M3 them.

All these options... or I might just go for the Dunlop SP Wintersport M3 on stock wheels, sell the RE92s, and replace the M3s with more M3s as needed.

Archived