LegacyGT.com

Engine rebuild

Looks like it's time to rebuild the engine in my car. There's a wonderful knocking coming from the somewhere in the block, and it's completely undrivable.

A couple questions:

It's an '05 Legacy 2.5i, 5 speed manual transmission.

1) how much does it cost to have it rebuilt, or can I get a rebuilt engine to switch out?

2) if I have to rebuild the engine anyway, would it be feasible to convert it to a GT? What would be involved in that process? (I figure I'd have to upgrade other parts as well, but if I'm going through this major process anyway, how much more money/effort would that involve?)

3) Any other pointers would be appreciated.....

Or should I sell it and look for a replacement Subie?

What would be the most cost effective method?

i'd say start looking for a replacement. Not that this one wont last you for many more years after a rebuilt. but who knows whats going to happen next. The cars getting older and things may start breaking. If you can afford it, trade it up!

• 2 weeks later...
I've decided that I'm probably going to replace it...so, my next question: how much is it worth if I sell it? Besides the obvious engine problem, and a few minor cosmetic flaws, the car is in good condition. I've done a little research, and I'm thinking somewhere in the $2,600-$3,000 range...or am I crazy?

I've decided that I'm probably going to replace it...so, my next question: how much is it worth if I sell it? Besides the obvious engine problem, and a few minor cosmetic flaws, the car is in good condition. I've done a little research, and I'm thinking somewhere in the $2,600-$3,000 range...or am I crazy?

Nope, thats right :)

Archived