LegacyGT.com

Smoking During Warmup

This problem has randomly appeared and dissapeared from time to time. When I start my car for the first time of the day, I get a some smoke coming out of the hood for the first 20 minutes of driving. It smells like burning oil. I've read about the possibility of it being the pcv line or a valve cover gasket, but I just wanted to get some more opinions. Thanks for the help and please excuse the bad grammer. I'm typing this in a hurry.

Ive been looking around the engine bay the last couple of days, and I think I may have found the problem. I have a fmic now and I can see some burned black marks around the turbo to IC pipe connection. I still can hit the targeted boost properly, but I think oil may be blowing out of their while the car is warming. Then when things heat up, the gasket expands and closes that connection. I think I've messed up one of the screw holes on the turbo a while back; the screw cant really tighten all the way (aluminum). Im gonna talk to a shop and see if they can tighten down those bolts. Btw, the gasket I'm using is that thermostat gasket for the chevy truck. Ill try to post some pictures.

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to comment with similar issues. It doesn't happen to me during warmup, but rather after a short drive. I'll come to a stop light and some smoke will billow out (not in great proportions, but enough to concern you). It doesn't happen often at all so I thought, let me check the inner CV boot, maybe it's spraying grease on the DP. I checked and boots are good, however, I did see some oil on the valve cover rear bottom corner, with burnt drip marks on the UP. Sound like a VC gasket to you fellas?

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Yea that sounds like it could be the VC gasket man. Especially since you found the burnt marks. Good luck.

Yea I'm guessing so, my shop is going to have a look since I'm having tires mounted tonight. I just want's sure if there was somewhere else I should be looking. At 163K, I guess it's time to expect these things.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Archived