LegacyGT.com

No heat, No HVAC functions... Please help!

2006 Subaru Legacy Gt , 86,000miles

Alright , this is an on going issue and there are a lot of details. To begin, lets start with what happened.

About 2MO ago , I was traveling home, about 45mph when I struck a deer with the Left front of my car. After the accident, the car was taken to Gilis auto body. The hood, headlamp, grill, bumper, fenders, side skirt, and misc clips, brackets etc... were replaced/painted. The car looks amazing.

However , when i got into the car after striking the deer I noticed my Hvac was off. I did not turn it off, the blower motor, defroster, recirculate, mode door, heat and air conditioning does NOT work. All of these functions are Inoperative. The shop the car was at replaced the control panel/switches, the auto climate control module, various fuses and wires/cleaned grounds etc, inspected relays and so forth. None of these repairs resolved the issue. Still no heat/Hvac functions.

Ive spent about 20Hrs on the car , trying to diagnose this problem. I broke down/gave up and took the car to Fitzgerald Subaru, I left the car there for 2days. The technician spent about 8Hrs on my car and was not able to find the cause of the problem. I am loosing hope here , its winter time and 28' outside.... lets keep it simple and say its getting "old" I am honestly lost.

Has anyone ever seen something like this? Anyone please? Open to any suggestions and tips.

Note: I have used subaru tech schematics and specs during this diagnosis.

Please Help!!!!:spin:

Won't the body shop cover the repairs, have you told them about it ?

Why did they replace the all the stuff for a hitting a deer ? what does the HVAC system have to do with the left front end damage ?

Am I missing something or reading to much into this...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The body shop knows about it, they are claiming that it has nothing to do with the accident and the insurance company wont supplement for repairs.

The deer struck the LF of the car, my fuse panel, battery and other electronic components were damaged and tampered with for repairs. The main fuse panel is where the circuit leads to. It gets it power from there which only makes me ask more questions. Why does everything else work?

So it seems as though its an electrical issue then from a module probably located where the collision was. Maybe a harness was damaged somewhere or a total module was messed up. I don't know enough about the system to make guesses but I'm trying to help troubleshoot

Had the car apart again , checking 5v references to the temp actuators. for a possible short to ground, if i dont find anything ill be even more lost. the car will go back to subaru in the next few days....

these 28'deg morning commutes are killing me...

• 3 weeks later...
My wife came out from work today and had no HVAC or radio. She drove 10 miles, turned the car off and when she started it again everything worked fine. Joy. I see myself getting very personal with the innards of the dash pretty soon. It's obviously a loose connector, I just wish I knew which one to look for.

• 3 weeks later...

So , good news to anyone thats read this.

I took my car apart, dash and all. after hours and hours of diag and reading schematics. I came across some 5v reference circuits with go from the auto ac control module (behind glove box) to each hvac actuator. so i assembled it so it would work. I unplugged all 4 of them and inspected the connections.

I figured id turn the ignition on to see if anything changed. The unit came on and the blower started working. The top actuator , defroster is shorted to ground. either internally or a bad wire in hiding. the good news is it works and i have some heat/hvac!

Archived