LegacyGT.com

Car break down at the track

Well I should of known better but i wanted to go to the track to see what she was capable of. On my second pass I launched the car and went to shift into second gear and when I did so it wouldnt go into gear and felt like something was holding it back. Got to the end of the strip and tried to put it into any gear and nothing. But when i try and put it into reverse it grinds just like if you dont come to a complete stop before putting it into reverse when backing up. What are your guys thoughts? Im going to get it towed to my work today and see if i can find anything wrong with it.

first pass was terrible, 15.4 with a 2.6 sixty........ I have invidia exhaust from the header back, avo intake, and a custom tune. Im hoping for a broken shift cable :p but who knows at this point everyone thinks something different.

Blown clutch is the cheapest possibility since it's a wear item.

Just for the stupid sake of it - check that the clutch arm moves when the pedal is pressed - so you aren't having a leak in the hydraulics or did get some air into it.

And also try to shift around the gears with engine off, if you can get into the gears then it may just be that the sync rings was blocking you from second gear. You may have to try some odd patterns to make sure.

Next step is to lift the engine out of the car or drop the gearbox (whatever you like the most), but dropping the gearbox may be best if it needs to get replaced.

453747.png

Shift cable ? Is this a manual or automatic ? What year Legacy ?

If it's tranny, pull it instead of the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I guess its to late now, but a AAA membership with 100 miles towing has saved us a couple of times. The house is 95 miles from Lebanon Valley Dragway. They brought the Civic home twice before we got a trailer.

Where do you live ?

Sounds like it could be something in the tranny. Have you ever removed one of these before ?

Check out some of the threads in the transmission forum or DIY forums. There was one there the other day about different ways to get the axles out of the tranny. Something about disconnecting the LCA and swing it out of the way. Me, I just pull the axle like I was replacing the axle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

B.t.w. make sure that you get a trailer with a winch or that you have a good winch to load the car on the trailer with. Electrical winches are good to some extent, but a muscle operated one allows for better control.
453747.png

And does the clutch arm move when you press the clutch?

Another thing I know is that the throwout bearing on some clutches are of "pull" type and is just held in place with some locking mechanism that "clicks" it into the spring fingers. I suppose that if you have that kind of clutch it may even be that the throwout bearing has disconnected itself from the clutch, in which case the clutch will stay engaged regardless of how much you press the pedal.

453747.png

On that thought, make sure the piston on the slave cylinder is moving in a horizontal plain. If the clutch fork fell off the pivot ball the piston will be moving in the downward plain.

You may be able to pull the fork back up and pop it back on the ball.

On the winch idea, my Superwinch 5000 on the 18ft open trailer works well. It came with a 30ft remote control.

engine off.. put in first gear.

push down clutch pedal,

crank engine, CAR WILL PROBABBLY START MOVING

drive home or to shop not using the clutch. ie trucker style.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

engine off.. put in first gear.

push down clutch pedal,

crank engine, CAR WILL PROBABBLY START MOVING

drive home or to shop not using the clutch. ie trucker style.

:whore: - I have done that - cable broke on a cable operated clutch I had on my '82 subie.

453747.png

Archived