LegacyGT.com

Clutch, which one?

jproy12

Alright, I'll be changing the clutch in the future. I am going single-mass flywheel, since on my 06 I have the dual-mass! I have a Legacy GT 2006 with 42K miles.. I have the TSK3 kit ordered, I have my wrx single-mass flywheel with me, I just need the clutch!

Would an exedy stage1 meant for wrx be good for my application? Or anything that 07+ Legacy GT's use would be good? Not looking to go big power in the future, maybe just stage2, nothing more!

What would be good? I want to stay as close to OEM as possible, so Exedy was my first choice! They list the same clutch for the WRX and LGT as stage1... anyone running exedy stage 1 clutch's?

Also, is the WRX 06+ and LGT 07+ clutch the same? As in the OEM one?

I need inputs, I dont want to go stage2, I just want something better than stock, but still capable of holding stage2 power in the future!

JP

people have run the exedy line, but I have never spoken to someone that has their OEM replacement. so I cant comment there. Personally I have not heard many good things about exedy in general, so I personally would not do their OEM as I'd assume they would be of the same quality. That being said, I'm sure you can look around for other suggestions.

I know the ACT HDSS clutch kit works well, and has near stock (WRX, didnt compare to a LGT) feel. you may want to look into the Clutch masters FX200. its a touch more grippy than stock, but has a kevlar surface for longer life. Heard one guy said it feels lighter than stock... but I kinda doubt it. either way I usually hear same as stock for the FX100 and 200 (same PP, just different disc material).

GL on your research.

T

In my opinion, with clutches, you either need to get something to plan for a big future build or get stock. Let me elaborate.... I am currently at Stage 2.5 running about 18 psi when its 55 degrees or colder outside. I recently replaced my clutch from my 05 with the OEM 07+ LGT single mass flywheel and OEM clutch. I had the same dilemma as you, but then thought about it more.

-If I go stock, it will hold the power just fine, I just wont be able to do a super aggressive drag-launch, which doesnt matter much to me anyways, I rarely if ever go to a drag strip.

-Getting an Exedy Stage 1 was one of my options, but it costs more, will not last as long as stock (the more aggressive your clutch is the less it lasts), and will not be able to handle my power if I get a turbo upgrade, so I may as well just get stock in that case.

-I also considered an ACT, but the price was double that of a stock clutch, The lifespan is about half (I have had ACT clutches on 3 of my cars before, half the life or about 30k is normal), and by the time I do a turbo upgrade, I will have used that clutch for most of its lifespan most likely. Meaning I wouldnt even have used that clutch for its intended purpose.

So long story short, unless you plan on dropping in a bigger turbo very soon, just get the OEM 07+ clutch and flywheel, I can attest to it holding stage 2.5 power levels with no problems at all. However, I would recommend the Group N Shifter Bushings, Crossmember Bushings and Transmission Mount (in addition to your TSK3), and Extra S Gear Oil. Those really make for a smooth transmission.

On the search for a new DD...

• 3 weeks later...

Even w/ a Stg 2 set up w/BNR 18G turbo. you can still run the OEM07+ clutch set up.

Subaru 2007-2010 Legacy GT Clutch Kit (With Flywheel) - all for $530.00 from FB

Items Included :

-O.E.M. Subaru Pressure Plate

-O.E.M. Subaru Clutch Disc

-O.E.M. Subaru T-O Bearing

-O.E.M. Subaru Flywheel (available with, or without)

-The 07-09 Legacy GT uses a "Single Mass" Flywheel

Quick Overview:

We have proven that the O.E.M. Subaru clutch's are strong enough to hold up to vehicle's putting down 305+ WHP!

This is a great choice for Legacy GT owners running a stock Legacy, all the way up to a "Stage 2" tune.

I am not a fan of the Excedy pedal. Lots of resistance for a clutch that holds so little power. Feels like an ACT HD.

For the money the hot ticket right now is ClutchMaster FX300. Available for $485 until Jan 15th. Thats like $200 off.

the FX300 price is real catchy.. but I like that stiffer pedal feel... the CM stg3 in my turbo lude back then feels like butter but it does hold the 380hp i threw at it.

Not sure where you are located. But the CM pedal is very nice when in traffic compared to others. It is great as a DD clutch and holds tons of power.

just thought i'd add to the mix my exp.....

first got my car with 32k mi. and when i bought it the guy said the clutch will prob. go soon... so i chose the exedy stage one organic with the fidanza flywheel..now at that point i was only at about stage 1 maybe two. that setup was great. very happy with it.so as i added more mods. i talked to some techs at fed beans in doylestown (mechanics not the aftermarket parts reps) and they steered me towards the act hd package ......well im currently at stage 2.5 goin to stage 3 basically ive got rid of all cats and only thing i havent done is bigger turbo and injectors. let me just say this act hd package sucks!! the clutch feel was crap from the start and has never felt good! i've had my mechanic bleed it but no real improvement ... i cant understand how all these people post up how geat it is..i cant wait to get this clutch out. im headed for the fx300 from clutch masters with a 07 flywheel. my dyno tuner pro even said how shitty this thing felt . way too expensive and def. not worth it!!! i will never buy any kind of act clutch kit or let fred beans put in another clutch! dont get me wrong their aftermarket parts dept. has been awesome but i def. cant say the same for the mechanics.

OP FWIW I plan to replace my Exedy Stage 1 with a CM FX300. I am not unhappy with the Exedy Stage 1 but as MSprank said, it feels more like an ACT HD. Reminds me of running unsprung drag setups in my Honda's (not engagement, just pedal feel).

...and the fact that the first time I launch the car on e85 I am going to LIQUIDATE the Exedy Stage 1.

Exedy Stage 1 has held up to a lot of abuse at stage 2 and a "soft" (oem fueling) stage 3. I have ran it at the dragstrip more than a few times.

Dollar for dollar its a great stage 2 or lower clutch for someone who does not mind a heavy pedal BUT there is NO WAY I would have even considered it if the FX300 had been the same price. My Exedy cost me about $430.

meaning they posted up the sale first and then i saw you guys with the same sale, so if you would like me to give you my business then give me a reason. i mean its the same exact price either way. but i can drive to fred beans and have the kit within an hour. all im saying is make me an offer or a reason to buy it from you.

Archived