LegacyGT.com

Paint bubbling, rust forming....

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet. I have an 05 GT, 77k miles. The paint is starting to bubble on the rear quarter panel, right at the seam where it meets that little lower piece (that is just above the side skirt). Took it to a body shop today to get an estimate, which was $1000 to cosmetically fix it (basically get down to metal, some corrosion protection, re-paint and re-clear). Guy said it may last for another couple of years, but the inner and outer fender have separated and the rust is forming inside. He said the proper way to fix it would be to have the entire rear quarter panel replaced, but didn't give me a quote for that (I can only imagine how much $$$). He honestly told me I would probably be better off selling the car in the spring before the rust got too bad.

Not sure what to do. I love my car (I like the style much better than the new body) and I haven't had a car payment for years. Anyone else have this happen and did you get it fixed and how? I don't want to cover up the problem, but it didn't sound like an easy fix at all.

Thanks,

Neil

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the shop I went to mentioned that, but he also noted that it would be difficult to get the lines correct in this location, and that welding in a patch introduced other problems. He didn't elaborate what the "other" problems might be though. I might go and get a second opinion, but the place I went to is a top notch body shop in the area.

i would get at least 3 different shops to look at it.

I agree. Perhaps this guy just didn't want to put that much effort into the repair, because it truly is a decent amount of work.

It's nice to know Subaru is now going 4 generations strong, where every car rusts in that exact same spot.

Doesn't Subaru have a rust warranty? Something like 5 years unlimited miles

Does that apply to all areas? I have a small spot on the roof of my car that I just noticed was starting to bubble. Right now its probably the size of a nickel but the quote I got to fix it was $1400! Seems a bit high for such a small spot.

Does that apply to all areas? I have a small spot on the roof of my car that I just noticed was starting to bubble. Right now its probably the size of a nickel but the quote I got to fix it was $1400! Seems a bit high for such a small spot.

Thats way to high, but I can see why....

Normally bodyshops dont blend on the roof since its hard to make it blend properly, when doing roof repairs they usually end up painting the whole roof.

But that being said.... I got my entire roof resprayed for 350 dollars and its better than factory IMO...

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet. I have an 05 GT, 77k miles. The paint is starting to bubble on the rear quarter panel, right at the seam where it meets that little lower piece (that is just above the side skirt). Took it to a body shop today to get an estimate, which was $1000 to cosmetically fix it (basically get down to metal, some corrosion protection, re-paint and re-clear). Guy said it may last for another couple of years, but the inner and outer fender have separated and the rust is forming inside. He said the proper way to fix it would be to have the entire rear quarter panel replaced, but didn't give me a quote for that (I can only imagine how much $$$). He honestly told me I would probably be better off selling the car in the spring before the rust got too bad.

Not sure what to do. I love my car (I like the style much better than the new body) and I haven't had a car payment for years. Anyone else have this happen and did you get it fixed and how? I don't want to cover up the problem, but it didn't sound like an easy fix at all.

Thanks,

Neil

That's strange I have the same problem in the same location. At first I thought it was from an accident that didn't show up on the carfax or the dealer never mentioned. At least mine hasn't started rusting yet. I'll have to keep an eye on it during the winter with all the salt.

^ You had to get your 2010 Legacy resprayed? or are you talking about another car?

My 2010 Legacy.... some enormous bird shit landed on my roof and baked on for about 6-8 hours while I was at work and caused the clearcoat to crack...

Now I go out and check on my car at lunch to make sure it doesnt happen again.

Oh wow, that is not good. Do you think it may have to do with accumulation of salt/water during the winter? I know old Hondas used to rust in that spot all the time, but not sure about Subarus.

That is a shame that is happening, but any good bodyshop should be able to fix it for not too much money,

GL

X

---

Half the problem is that rubber piece which you have off for the picture.

That piece of garbage is what keeps all the shit up there to begin with. At first I took them off between every wash, but finally gave up and just chucked them.

• 5 months later...

That piece of garbage is what keeps all the shit up there to begin with. At first I took them off between every wash, but finally gave up and just chucked them.

thats an interesting theory.. i may try that.

he is right it is the rubber piece. its a very common problem in the honda community. I dont understand why dealerships install them, it just traps water which can from rust. I have taken the rubber piece off of every car i own and have not had any problems since.

+1 To taking off the rubber sh*t. First mod I did the second I bought my '05. They were on for 4 years and I wasn't going to let them stay any longer. Rip them off ASAP.

My friend has an '85 Civic that (at the time) had 11,000 miles. It still had the rubber fender strips a few years ago, and he was moaning and groaning when I tried taking them off.

The car has 45,000 miles now and both fenders are rusting out. Mint car, rusty fenders. Cool.

Archived