LegacyGT.com

Group N Trans mount worth it?

Mindspin311

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed mine today and noticed a difference right away. The shifter doesnt move around much anymore under hard acceleration. The shifts feel more direct and it somewhat feels that response is a bit better.

The only trade off I have noticed is that the gear whine is now louder in 1st-3rd, but it's nothing a few notches up on the radio wont fix.

Since this is sort of on topic, I wonder how much improvement would be seen with the Group N trans and motor mounts. Beans has a good price on them and if the improvement is there, it's tempting. But do I want mounts or the STi shifter?:spin:

I highly recommend this upgrade.Even to people with a stock legacy gt it sitll just makes the car feel tighter when shifting. Install is pretty easy just need a jack to sit the tranny where its needed. Took me about 20 mins wit airtools. Avg guy prob only an hr. I run this with perrin shifter bushings, kartboy crossmember bushings, stock pitch stop, and stock engine mounts. Cant wait to upgrade the engine mounts...

All I used once I got the car on 4 jack stands was a jack to hold up the tranny, 14mm deep socket + 6" extension and that's pretty much it. Took me at most 30 min to install once the car was on the jack stands.

You just have to unbolt the crossmember that attaches the tranny mount (2 nuts and 2 bolts) and the actual tranny mount which has 4 bolts that attach to the tranny and 2 nuts that attach to said crossmember.

Group-N products are worth every penny.

I did Motor Mounts, Tranny Mounts, and Pitch Stop all at once so I can't tell what was the best one.

But overall, I think their mounts are one of the best investments I have made.

Makes driving more fun with more precise downshifting, or shifting in general.

Strongly recommended for people who has 6-puck and above clutch also.

But noise wise......you might have to deal with it.

It makes your exhaust sound quieter at certain RPM.

Revision:

The noise is there but not as bad as I thought.

My FMIC Silicone hose Clamp was hitting the underside of the hood which was producing the extreme rattle.

Sorry for the confusion!

• 2 weeks later...
who carries these?

what is the difference between the group N mounts and these?

http://www.rallitek.com/avogemobu1.html

The parts you linked to are bushings for the crossmember that gets removed when replacing the actual transmission mount. The Group N transmission mount can be found here: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1068/Group-N-5-%26/Detail

The parts you linked to are bushings for the crossmember that gets removed when replacing the actual transmission mount. The Group N transmission mount can be found here: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1068/Group-N-5-%26/Detail

Ok so there is the Sti one and then there is this one. The Group N

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-3015/Group-N-Mount-Sets/Detail

What's the difference?

STi and Group N are different. Even if the part numbers or whatever tells a different story. STi mount is what comes stock on the STi, Group N is a step up from that.

Yes, except stock STI mount for 5MT is obviously JDM only part for old school STIs. 5MT and 6MT mounts are not interchangeable.

I have had all three in my hands: 6MT SpecB stock, 6MT STI stock, Group N 6MT. SpecB stock is super mushy with large voids, STI stock is solid but pretty soft, Group N is much stiffer although not as stiff as other Group N mounts such as engine mounts.

• 1 month later...

I'm running a GroupN tranny mount and am very happy with the results. My experience has been the same. Tightens things up and gets rid of that bit of slush.

Also running an upgraded pitch stopper .....

Was considering swapping the engine mounts but other members had expressed that although the part isn't particularly expensive the install was a bit of a pain and really not a noticeable upgrade in the end.

• 1 month later...
Sick! Just ordered up the STi mount..

I dont want it to super stiff but enough to notice the difference!

Where did you get the STi mount? Part number?

I just installed the Group N mount and I'm not sure I want all the noise that comes along with it. I do like the improved shifting feel but I also installed the TiC Holy Shift Kit so it's hard to tell which did more.

Anyway, if there's a step between the Group N and the totally rubbery one that comes stock on the LGT I'd like to try it.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Archived