LegacyGT.com

Question for GT owners with Polarized sunglasses

When reading the manual for my new GT, I noticed something about possible difficulties seeing the electroluminescent displays on the GTs when driving with Polarized sunglasses? I don't have a pair of polarized sunglasses handy to test this myself before dropping $230 on a new pair of polarized Maui Jim's.

So in short, do the polarized lenses make it hard to see our gauges, or any other displays in the interior (radio/temp/mileage display, etc). Thanks guys.

I personally cant confirm, but there was a thread on what sunglasses were the best and lots of people were recommending polarized. No one was mentioning anything about it being harder to see or anything like that. From personal experience when I did use polarized lenses, it only made things more clear, but I dont have them anymore so I cant tell you for the LGT.
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

My experience with Polarized lenses (Maui Jim's and Oakleys) has not been that positive. They are great for cutting out the glare but somehow my depth preception is way off when I have them on. I feel like I am tripping while walking on flat surfaces!!! I will try them on to test the effect on the LGT gauges.

I have enough drama for now.....

That could be due to poorly shaped lenses Ryan. But I don't know, I get that sensation the first time I put my glasses on if I haven't worn them in a long time (I generally wear contacts, but the reverse also is true), but I adjust to it reasonably quickly.

No problems for me. I actually have a harder time reading the LCD displays on the stereo and climate control than I do the gauges when my sunglasses are on. I can see the gauges just fine with polarized lenses.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Only if you look at them from a certain lwide angle. Anything from directly perpendicular to over 60 degrees - visibility no problem. I have no clue what rat-ass run-of-the-mill polarized sunglasses you have or plan on using...but I have Carl Zeiss Lenses - polarized for the sun glasses and transitions for my regular sometimes clear-sometimes dark grey regular glasses. My sunglasses - as I said - are polarized and also prescription (vision correction). So I think if you have problems...it is mostly because of the inferior quality lens and not due to some intrinsic incompatibility.

Now if we talk about the cool colors that you see and the patterns that certain car windshields have (when you wear these glasses)...then that is a totally different issue.

http://mi.oakley.com/site/media/cache/42016a347d5ab.jpg_242_0_0.jpg

i have a set of these polarized oalkeys and seeing the nav screen is tough but gauges are good. Although you arent supposed to look at the nav screen anyway when driving so it makes no difference.

tHe HoV

you guys are idiots paying $150 - $300+ on a damn pair of sunglasses...

am I right???

My god...sit on them, and kiss that cash goodbye....

Whats wrong with Walmart sunglasses? I mean, $15 and excellent quality. In fact, they are problaby the same as the $150 ones, just no brand name...

Everythings made in goddamn China anyways....

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

As previously stated, lcd screens can be trouble with polarized glasses, but the LGT guages are not.

As far as el cheapo sunglasses hogmeat, try wearing a nice pair of Maui Jims around for a day once. Then you'll see what the difference is......comfort, clarity, the whole ball of wax. Now, is it worth the money? Only the person with the wallet can decide. I know it is for me. And once you pay good money for 'em, it's amazing how quickly you learn to be careful with them.

My eyes hurt when I buy el-cheapo $8-$12 sunglasses..... believe me, I always try to save a buck here and there but it's not worth it when I get a headache after wearing them for an hour or so. I have near-perfect eyesight but my eyes have problems with cheap sunglasses and for some reason the polarized lenses too. The first time I wore Maui Jim's to go skiing, I was falling all over the place because my depth perception was way off on them. My friends had no problems on the same pair of glasses. My favorite sunglasses are Oakleys... they are very well-made and are of high-quality.

I have enough drama for now.....

I can't say from personal experience if I wouldn't regret paying for the MJ's (have not paid a penny for my 3 pairs)...But I will say that even if I didn't have hookups, after trying them once, I would definetly pay the price...I've had a couple buddies who once they try on mine they immedietly go out and buy a pair for themselves

I drive into the rising/setting sun both ways on my daily commute...so I usually am runninng with my headlights ON and my sunglasses (polarized bolle's) ON.

When you have the headlights on, as you probably know, it dims the gauges to night time levels, so occasionally the gauges are hard to see in that situation.

Thankfully Subie engineers thought of this, and put that button by the clock etc. that boosts the gauge brightness to maximum daytime levels. Problem solved!

+1 for Maui Jims...there lenses are AMAZING. Revo's as well. They are expensive but you are paying for the lens not just the brand name.

you guys are idiots paying $150 - $300+ on a damn pair of sunglasses...

No, take some Maui Jim and some other sunglasses (the majority of designer sunglasses aren't that good though) and there are discernable differences in optics that some people will notice. I will, but I'm trained to. Your average joe probably won't.

Archived