LegacyGT.com

alright, so heres my question...

Exedy has the FF02, which is compatiable with a whole butt load of cars.

i cross referenced other clutch manufacturers with other vehicles on the list of FF02 compatiable cars. my example is a 97 legacy GT.

so, the FF02 works with my 2008 legacy 2.5i, and it works with a 97 LGT.

so, ACT makes a lightweight flywheel for the 97 LGT. its cheaper and lighter.

why wouldnt it work with my 2008 legacy?

alright, so heres my question...

Exedy has the FF02, which is compatiable with a whole butt load of cars.

i cross referenced other clutch manufacturers with other vehicles on the list of FF02 compatiable cars. my example is a 97 legacy GT.

so, the FF02 works with my 2008 legacy 2.5i, and it works with a 97 LGT.

so, ACT makes a lightweight flywheel for the 97 LGT. its cheaper and lighter.

why wouldnt it work with my 2008 legacy?

Its more like its never been tested therefore ACT can't confirm. However if the bolt pattern and spec are the same as the known FF02 you are probably correct in your assumption that it will work. The only difference btwn the LGT and 2.5i (06-09) clutch disc is 5mm, thats against the same FW.

awesome. guess im ordering the ACT flywheel.

do ya think 10.5 lbs is too light? or should i go for the 11.8?

I'd go with the heavier of the two and be prepared for CELs that light flywheel might throw on the crank sensor

youre telling me!

update, car is still apart. ACT says my flywheel will be here tuesday. i ordered 600180, XACT prolite flywheel. its 10lbs. i know this seems too light but according to research it shouldnt throw a code, plus i dont have a lightweight crank pulley. so we'll see.

so all in all, its a 10lb flywheel and the exedy stage 1. cant wait to drive it!

I've always wished I had the tools and know how to do a clutch replacement. I'll be awaiting your driving impressions when everything is buttoned up.

Clutch jobs are involved but your stand metric sockets and wrenches are good for a clutch job. The biggest thing is having a trans jack to better move the gearbox once freed up. The actual clutch install is 15-20 mins of the nearly 7 hour job :eek:

wow, do they rate it at a 7hr job?

like said, i really only used a 12mm wrench, a 14mm socket and wrench, and a 19mm socket. also need a floor jack. trans jack is wonderfull, but i normally just lay under the car and bench press the trans back in. the hardest part is getting the input shaft aligned with the splines and the pilot bearing.

but im also doing it the hard way. i removed the trans from the car completely. apparently the other way to do it is remove some things and then slide the trans back, but i prefer to work on the big picture. all in all, i had the trans out in 2 hours. but an impact makes everything a million times faster.

Clutch jobs are involved but your stand metric sockets and wrenches are good for a clutch job. The biggest thing is having a trans jack to better move the gearbox once freed up. The actual clutch install is 15-20 mins of the nearly 7 hour job :eek:

I can follow directions and disassemble/reassemble things just fine, but if something were screwed up I would be helpless :) who knows, I may dive in and attempt this... just one more thing to add to the list of experiences.

if you do tackle it, make sure you have a properly calibrated torque wrench, and it wont hurt to have someone around who has done a clutch in a car before. even if ya throw em a couple brews and have them sit around just in case. kinda makes me wish i made a writeup about it.

update, fedex says the flywheel will be here tomorrow. cant wait to drive my car. its been a week!

wow, do they rate it at a 7hr job?

like said,.... trans jack is wonderfull, but i normally just lay under the car and bench press the trans back in.

"Hercules, Hercules, Hercules!!!"

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

well its in. i posted a new thread. but long story short, i love love love it.

as for the clutch job, i had it in in just a few hours, and thats with losing half my bolts -.-

laying on your back and benching the trans in is by far the easiest. drain all the fluid before you do it, and make sure the shift linkage is disconnected first. but i benched it while my friend guided it in, and once it hit the 2 studs it slid right in. it was beautiful.

Archived