LegacyGT.com

Holy Gas Mileage!!!!

I recently just got back from a trip to beautiful Atlantic Beach, NC. Anyway I of course took the suby....And with the air conditioning on most the time on the way down to NC, I got 30mpg!! I went to get gas at 330 miles in Hertford, NC from Bear, DE. It only took 11 gallons to fill up, and of course 330/11 is 30.

On the way back with the windows down, and averaging about 65-70mph, I got 32mpg!! I am so proud of the ol' girl, 168k miles still running strong.

I check my mileage every time I fill up, just habit. That's pretty rad. Going through the mountains gave me extremely good gas mileage - use about the same going up the incline, and then drop to neutral coming down the other side. The highway into SLC with its 15 mile decline (and a few other hills) helped me enough that even after driving another 250ish miles I was still counting over 30mpgs.

drop to neutral coming down the other side.

You might be getting fantastic mileage, but this has nothing to do with it, and is in fact probably hurting you. When you put the car into neutral, the engine essentially idles, which you would think would be a good thing, but the engine uses fuel to do that. Conversely, if you keep the car in gear, the engine is being powered by the wheels and your inertia, and so a modern car with electronic fuel injection can actually use less fuel in this mode, as it doesn't need as much fuel to keep the engine spinning.

• I Donated
I get 19 in the city in mine and about 28 on the highway. It all depends on tire pressure, running condition, and most important how you drive it.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

That may be true, but if I don't feed the throttle while in gear I'm losing speed. The friction doesn't allow me to just coast while in gear.

∴ N

Yes it does slow your momentum down staying in gear but it actually uses no fuel at all while coasting in gear so it's hard to say what would get you better mileage. If you coat in neutral you keep your speed up for the next hill but you use some gas while coasting. If you coast in gear down hill you use no fuel but you loose your momentum for the next hill and it takes more gas to speed back up again... If had to guess I'd say it's probably even between the two if your going up and down hills but if your just going down a big hill leaving it in gear is better

I drove my L from SLC to Wisconsin and kept track of my mpg the whole way. My best tank was 31 mpg. However, I don't completely trust the numbers per tank. There may be a bit of vapor pressure built up during each fill up that will cause the pump to stop before the tank is completely filled up. On average I was getting 26-28 mpg. If my wife was driving around 68 mph we got great mpg. I drove about 71-72 (wanted to go 75-80 but she would ask me to slow down, lol) and would get closer to 26-27 mpg.

All in all not bad for a 95 and awd. 3300 miles round trip and I was confident in my 22E the whole time. What an awesome engine. :)

Yeah NC is great because it's flat here in CT I've seen on my highway/city mix 27 MPG

I made my all time best of getting 310 from the tank, next month I will be driving to NC so this will be the real test.. I'm shooting for high 320's

Yeah NC is great because it's flat here in CT I've seen on my highway/city mix 27 MPG

I made my all time best of getting 310 from the tank, next month I will be driving to NC so this will be the real test.. I'm shooting for high 320's

I took a trip to & from NC (Raleigh) back to CT in my first Legacy (L/2.2 w/over 200k miles on it) a couple of years ago & I think I got 330 miles per tank (cruise control). Just make sure you give the car a tune-up before you go & you should see similar numbers.

I'm going to be headed to Southern Pines I've got a slow leak in my passenger side front and rear tires.. If I forget it can run down to 10 psi.. tires are old and I'm going to be getting some before I leave anyways

that's pretty good on my mountain trip i only averaged 23mpg but that's me and the turbo passing everything and boosting up hills. my tercel easily gets 32mpg booting it around the city and is rated at 45 highway, but I guarantee I get closer to 50 when im doing 120km at 2400 rpm in fifth

• 2 weeks later...
You might be getting fantastic mileage, but this has nothing to do with it, and is in fact probably hurting you. When you put the car into neutral, the engine essentially idles, which you would think would be a good thing, but the engine uses fuel to do that. Conversely, if you keep the car in gear, the engine is being powered by the wheels and your inertia, and so a modern car with electronic fuel injection can actually use less fuel in this mode, as it doesn't need as much fuel to keep the engine spinning.

I've heard this reasoning before, and switched from coasting in neutral to coasting under idle because of this. But while watching an OBDII monitor in both cases, I have yet to see the fuel use rate (Gal/hour) drop to zero, or even remain significantly low. Could this only be true in manuals, and not so much in automatics with the fluid-coupled torque convertor rather than a mechanical clutch?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
damn! i wish i could get that kinda MPGs. I get about 20 in town. I was a pretty "aggressive" driver in my modded 91 turbo leg. Don't get me wrong I love the new car (99 gt wag) but its just plain slow, so i really don't get on it too much other than to pass and what not. I need to chance plugs/wires, fuel filter and get a walbro and see if that helps.

hehe it's all about that weight difference.

speaking of turbo's I'm tired of hearing everyone complaining that the BRZ does not have a turbo since they were so used to the WRX...

Wow How did we all live before the WRX came here.... :rolleyes:

hehe it's all about that weight difference.

speaking of turbo's I'm tired of hearing everyone complaining that the BRZ does not have a turbo since they were so used to the WRX...

Wow How did we all live before the WRX came here.... :rolleyes:

I can care less about the NA vs. tubro debate on the BRZ, it is the fact that it lost AWD that kills me the most.

Archived