LegacyGT.com

legacy gt wheel spacers... need some insight

i have an 05 legacy gt... and like most lgt owners im cursed with the 5x100 bolt pattern lol...

i was just wondering if buying wheels spacers to convert the hubs to 5x114.3 is a good idea... i already know the positives because every sight advertises it.. and i also have a wider variety of wheel choices... but are there any negatives to doing this... and if i was to do this to what specs should i buy these spacers...? brand? etc.... any info is appreciated...

heres a random site that sells them....

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/project-kics-wheel-spacers-20mm-most-subaru-12x15-51143-w5120w1wts-p-16205.html

That is what I am saying.....a quality hub centric adapter or spacer places the same stress on bearings as a low offset wheel, if the correct math is done. I agree that a low offset wheel does not kill bearings....but everyone is paranoid with our cars.

Scott G

[

• 11 months later...

If you run a spacer that retains factory axle studs, or uses longer axle studs, there is no difference between those and low offset wheels in terms of stress put on the bearings. As long as they are the kind of spacers that slide over your axle studs, I consider them safe, even if they are 15mm.

It's the really large "bolt on" spacers and 114 conversion spacers that you should stay away from. Having a spacer that is bolted to the hub, with studs pressed into the spacer that bolt the wheel on is a bad idea. They are weaker by design and transfer loads to the rotors differently because the studs that hold the wheels on do not pass through the rotors.

Do not buy conversion spacers or spacers with pressed in studs.

bolt on spacers are just bad in general

slip on spacers add to the distance between the hub and the wheels, and you are not using the end of the stud but the middle/tip of the stud, where lower offset wheels are right up against the hub

how is it the same moment if you are not adding distance?

low offset wheel does not move the wheel away from the hub at all, just the spoke design is different

it's like if you are holding a heavy bag with the tip of your finger vs. end of your finger/by your palm...

Your analogy is only correct if you're comparing the same wheel width/offset with/without spacers, spacers add more stress. Gravity is acting on the bag's mass and going straight down, you move it further towards your finger tip, more distance, increased moment, increased torque, more stress, you're right. The force acting on the bag is always going straight down, perpendicular to the ground. The moment is about your knuckle.

When talking about wheel offset it is different. The force acting on the wheel is the normal force, which exerts a force from the ground evenly straight up into the wheel, also perpendicular with the ground. The difference is that the distance you would use to calculate the moment is the lateral distance between the normal force and the bearing itself, not the rotor surface where the wheel mounts.

With an et45 8" wheel with a 10mm spacer, the moment distance is the same as a force exerted to the wheel bearing if you were running a et35 8" wheel.

Use the exact example you referred to, but think of the bearing itself as your knuckle, not the rotor/hub surface. The moment is about the wheel bearing race.

Ok, what I am saying is that the moment is not about the hub surface that the back padding mounts to, but rather it is about the bearing race itself. And the force comes from the wheel, not the back padding, so spacer or not, the stress on the bearing is directly related to the location of the wheel, spacer/offset both change that location the same way.

Scoobyscoodie is 100% correct. There is nothing wrong with using spacers OR adapters. If using adapters, you must use quality. Do not use cheap ebay adapters, they can and will break. They use cheap bolts and the machining and aluminum grade is sub par. You can't go wrong with H&R, wheelsadapters.com, and adaptit.com.

I've been running 25mm adapters on my volvo for 18-20k miles, no issues.

One thing to think about when choosing between adapter or spacer is spacers will require longer wheel studs/bolts.

Archived