LegacyGT.com

Dat Gen 2 man.

Post up what drew you to the gen 2, or why you never want to let yours go.

I don't know what it is about these cars eh. I was looking at a damn sexy gen 4 yesterday, thinking how much i'd love to have one for my daily... So that i don't put the miles on my BG ;).

There's just something about em. Logic says later models are better cars, but compare them, and the feel of a good gen 2 is so much nicer than any later model. The feedback is so good, the engines (especially thinking the turbo's here) are raw compared, my little thing spits flames every chance it gets! And the looks... Perfection.

I dunno, post away.

what first hooked me was the awd and the space (mainly in the trunk for, um, cadavers :) ) But it was also sort of a project: needed driveshafts, alot of tlc, a rundown of the terribly installed 2.2, and so on. A year later though, after countless hours of work, I'm proud of what it is now. That's what it is: pride. Too much pride to not love it, too much to probably never let her go.

I think the 2nd gen body style of the sedan is one clean looking car the shape and everything nothing about it looks "old" to me.

The time and effort I have put into and the fun I have had in it makes me never want to get rid of it.

I honestly never cared for Subaru very much. Didn't even know about 2nd gen Legacy GT's.. I got it for Christmas almost 3 years ago and I didn't even hardly know what it was lol I ended up doing a ton of research after I got it so that I could learn more about it, still never found out about the headgasket issue until someone told me on youtube that you have to watch them because they will blow. Overall, I fell in love with it pretty fast and now I could never get rid of it! And I was the only one at my high school with a Legacy GT so it made it more unique.

For me it was the rarity of the cars and especially the 2nd gens. When I was just in my outback I went to a meet and saw a guy with one exactly like the one I have now, something just said this car, just stoop out among the impreza's that were there. When I went to buy one, I looked at the 3rd gens and was like where is my aggressive styling, where is my hood scoop?? So I said 2nd gen all the way!

I haven't seen a 2nd gen gt around at all. Nowhere near my town. It bothers me, but also makes me feel special :) usually it's outbacks or legacy wagons or imprezas, and there's alot of those 2nd gens around haha.

Needed an all-year round car to replace my E30 and the beater. I was looking at fun to drive good looking cars and narrowed my search to Subaru's.

Stumbled upon my Beluga... it was rust free, had been well taken care of and in my price range.

Now, the more I drive it, the more I love it. I put 1000 clicks on it in the past 2 days and I wouldn't mind to have to do it again :D I'm moving to another city and the amount of things you can fit in the rear end (thats what she said :eek:) is amazing.

Foresters have a little something too :redface:

Oh yes, SF foresters are extremely underrated. Perform like a WRX almost, yet easily as practical as a BG.

The rarity thing isn't something that you get here in NZ, they are actually bloody common. Easily the most common subaru's in NZ.

wanted one as my first new car.....styling.....WASN'T AN SUV back when everbody was on that bandwagon. purposeful, simple...in it's way.

ironic that I finally got one with 258K+ on the meter.

subarus are pretty rare in the less than ten grand especially for sedans up where i live, so I had seen a Red 97 Gt for sale, i went to check it out, but it a taped on mirror, cracked bumper and a tick from the engine...

so didnt buy it.

later on saw a black 98 Gt with this picture, the guy drove the car in for me to see it and bought it cash because it was in mint condition, compared to the other, and haggled for 500$ less, plus it had air intake + Gold rims, tinted tail lights and windows, with a complete aftermarket sound system including a 12" 250w sub. and only 138,something kilometers on it.

http://a.imageshack.us/img541/813/iloveyoubaby.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't seen a 2nd gen gt around at all. Nowhere near my town. It bothers me, but also makes me feel special :) usually it's outbacks or legacy wagons or imprezas, and there's alot of those 2nd gens around haha.

haha I bought a 2.5gt 1997 in farmington a few weeks ago. Im around farmington all the time now and since Ive noticed you have a 2.5gt too ill keep a lookout when im there.

yeah thats the one you saw on craigslist. Im in wethersfield. Thing had some front end damage. But it runs fine, had to change the knock sensor after a week of driving it, needed a new condenser, and an oil change. Everything else is fine other then scratches all around. I payed 2k for it and it had brand new tires so *shrug* not bad i think. it was at 126k miles when i got it and its already at 127k haha

yeah it is, i keep freaking out everytime i hear something hoping the engine isnt about to go or the head gaskets. The paint is scratched, not much rust, and some rear damage and like paint scrapes on the plastic bumpers. I mean its definitely drivable i mean i drive it for a job everyday. Had some coolant issues today since I guess i had a air bubble in the system. but the coolant got pushed out through the overflow and the car got hotter then usual(not overheat.) The heat was blowing cold so i jacked the front up, started it up and slowly filled more coolant and now its fine. I had to drive like a jackass trying to find my girlfriends little sister and this girl she was with and it didnt overheat after that and ran perfectly.

Wow, i really wrote alot. I guess its because only this forum knows what its like to have a car and figure shit out on it and be happy and proud of fixing it yourself. No one around here knows shit haha.

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us :) I've owned mine for a year and a half now, and picked up so much about subarus and cars in general that I value so much. I just decided that I want to get certified to be an ASE mechanic at some point down the road. After engineering of course haha. But it's a great forum; 2nd gen rules!

Archived