LegacyGT.com

New Tires for Spec.b 18X7 Rims

UnXpectedError

Not much out there in OEM tire size of 215/45R18, was thinking of going up one size in width and down one size in profile to 225/40R18.

Does this make sense? Any issues with a 225 tire on a 7 inch rim? Anything else I should be worried about?

Thx a bunch!

I have 225/45 and no problems. it actually looks way better than the 215s. if you want to go 235 you will need an 8 in width.

Just make sure you go to an experienced shop. i was watching a noob try to put em on with a big fail. His sr got it on quick

Sounds good so 225's will work but are tough to install huh.....that should be no biggie as my tire shop is pretty good (I think/Hope).

Any reason you went with 45 series? Only reason i was thinking 40 series is the way to go is because its close to stock diameter so the speedo should still be good.

Edit, Nevermind, your tire is actually closer to stock than the 40 series.

225/45R18 would read 1.4% slow

225/40R18 would read 2.1% fast

im debating on 45 over 40 too idk what to do! I'm about to purchase some hankook V12's next friday (payday!), and i hear hankooks already run a little wide? I really don't wanna order 225's from tire rack and have them not fit.

there are plenty of good options staying with the stock size of 215/45-18. I don't see much of a reason to go bigger but I do see various reasons not to.

I have the pirelli pzero nero all-seasons 215/45-18. They do nicely for an all-season. An alternative is the goodyear eagle gt. I have driven those as well and drive very nicely. I can't help with summer tires because I've only ever driven on the stock summers and won't be buying more summers.

Um, there are plenty of 215/45-18 tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=215/&ratio=45&diameter=18&x=37&y=11

All depends what kind of tire you're looking for. Being up in CA, I imagine you need all seasons if not dedicated winters? I've heard amazing things about the Conti Extreme DWS: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=145YR8ECDWSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

But yes, you can do 225/45-18 just fine. If I put my stock wheels back on, that is what I will be doing.

Um, there are plenty of 215/45-18 tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=215/&ratio=45&diameter=18&x=37&y=11

All depends what kind of tire you're looking for. Being up in CA, I imagine you need all seasons if not dedicated winters? I've heard amazing things about the Conti Extreme DWS: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=145YR8ECDWSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

But yes, you can do 225/45-18 just fine. If I put my stock wheels back on, that is what I will be doing.

Yes there are definately more options now than there was only a short time ago.

I already have deicated winters but I want all seasons for my summer tires since i'm sick of being caught in spring snowfalls on those RE050A's which are downright dangerous.

Those Conti's look interesting, on backorder tho.

These also caught my eye but may be too new to get any decent reviews:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+(W))

If that's the case, then from what I've read, you want the Conti Extreme DWS. The best combination of dry, wet and snow performance without compromising any of the above.

Check out the winter & general performance tests TireRack did:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=119

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=124

P.S. There's a reason why they're backordered - just that popular. OEM equipment on certain Lexus' I believe as well

I trolled this since i have the same concerns - newly aquired spec.b 07s.

I think im going with the conti's as well. thanks guys.

Now as far as sizing goes - is the verdict out on 215/45 v 225/40?

Any opinions on that?

It seems that the two of you guys above are going with the contis. Just a quick question. Why go for the contis when you can get the pirelli pzero nero all-season tires, a more highly rated tire for less money???

I see that the survey results on tirerack put the contis ahead, but I personally don't listen to the surveys as it is generally people reviewing a tire in comparison to the stock tire - not in comparison to other tires since most people haven't driven every tire. I personally put more faith in the actual field tests that were done. These tires were once compared on tirerack.com and the pirellis came out ahead. ( http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=119 )

So my question is, why buy a lower rated tire that costs more? Maybe you put more faith in the consumer surveys than I do?

(this is not to say the conti is a bad tire, I just don't understand when it seems like a clear choice - no, I'm not affiliated with any tire company :-) just a question)

Thats a good point - mostly because feedback on the forum is my defacto "customer survey" so if someone makes a claim or case about a tire or item and is weighed by the rest of us, i'll end up going with it or inquiring aggressively about.

Now that you've made a case about pirelli's - i'll look into it. But at the end of the day, with tires, its a crapshoot since there are a TON of great tires that are more or less expensive than conti's.

What size are you running on what sized rim?

This is mostly specific to find a right shoe for 06-07 Spec B rims.

It seems that the two of you guys above are going with the contis. Just a quick question. Why go for the contis when you can get the pirelli pzero nero all-season tires, a more highly rated tire for less money???

I see that the survey results on tirerack put the contis ahead, but I personally don't listen to the surveys as it is generally people reviewing a tire in comparison to the stock tire - not in comparison to other tires since most people haven't driven every tire. I personally put more faith in the actual field tests that were done. These tires were once compared on tirerack.com and the pirellis came out ahead. ( http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=119 )

So my question is, why buy a lower rated tire that costs more? Maybe you put more faith in the consumer surveys than I do?

(this is not to say the conti is a bad tire, I just don't understand when it seems like a clear choice - no, I'm not affiliated with any tire company :-) just a question)

The reality is that most people love whatever they drive/use and will recommend it so they feel better about their own purchase. The best thing to do is find objective testing where thorough research is done by knowledgeable professionals who have a wide range of knowledge of what else is out there.

I am running 215/45-18 (stock size) on my 08 spec b. I'm very happy with them, but like I said, I've never driven the contis nor most of the other tires on the market!

Interesting to hear that 235 width doesn't work since my car had 235/40 Sumitomo HTR ZIII on the stock 08 spec.B wheels when I bought it last April, and they're still working great.

what tires were they, curious?

Interesting to hear that 235 width doesn't work since my car had 235/40 Sumitomo HTR ZIII on the stock 08 spec.B wheels when I bought it last April, and they're still working great.
It's not that they "don't work." It's that the wheel isn't wide enough to stretch the tire out to its intended size and you're losing the contact patch of that 235mm wide tire as a result. So in essence, the 235mm width advantage over a 215 or 225 is wasted and you have heavier tires with no benefit.

You need an 8-inch rim to best utilize a 235mm wide tire.

It's not that they "don't work." It's that the wheel isn't wide enough to stretch the tire out to its intended size and you're losing the contact patch of that 235mm wide tire as a result. So in essence, the 235mm width advantage over a 215 or 225 is wasted and you have heavier tires with no benefit.

You need an 8-inch rim to best utilize a 235mm wide tire.

Fair enough. I haven't tracked my car and probably won't any time soon. I have gone way to hot into a few corners trying to keep up with the STI guys at a few local cruises and have never been want for more grip. When these wear out I'll look into finding an appropriate wheel.

Yeah, my understanding is that a wider tire isn't put to good use without less body roll (in order to keep the meat of the tire planted) and a good alignment to put as much of the contact patch to the road surface.

Archived