LegacyGT.com

Thinking about buying a 97' GT

Hello all. I've found a 97' GT sedan for $3,300. It' a 5-speed with 161,000 (he says mostly highway) miles on it. Any specifics I should keep and eye out for when I go to test drive this? The only problem he mentioned is that after he changed the catalytic converter the engine light came on... but said he's driven it without any problems for ~7000mi since. Thanks!

EDIT: Please move to pre-purchase forum. Didn't see there was one before I posted. Oops.

hey i just bought a 98 legacu gt wagon 4 weeks ago for 2450 with 164k miles runs and drives perfect no noises and already made a 5 hour one way drive with it last week and it ran flawless. Just ask him if the head gaskets have been done its a common fault on the 2.5 non turbo motor

OP that seems a little high for what it is. I know it's a GT but still: 161k "highway miles" (notice no one ever says "oh yeah alllll this thing did was stop and go traffic."), check engine light is on (could be a heap of other problems that guy doesn't even know about), and all for more than twice what I paid for an L sedan with 152k miles? I would say keep looking. Even if the head gasket has been taken care of, that car ain't worth the price.

Sorry its long, and tedious, I dont how much you know about cars, or if this is your first or 50th car so I'm writing it so that others can check this out and know what to look for. So im not dumming it down for you but for everyone:) Ill go back through later and fix my spelling mistakes lol

Well just do like you would for any normal "1990+ or 100,000mi" car as what work as been done such as:

timing belt, spark plugs, wires, coil pack, check all fluid levels (oil, tranny, diff, brake fluid, coolant) as if any major work as been done such as HEAD GASKETS(main problem form lgts)

go through and make sure everything works in the car from all door locks, radio functions, moonroof(legacys are somewhat notorious for moon roof failures whether its off track and wont go to up or back or the motor is busted all together), make sure all lights work(headlights, foglights, dome light, map light, vanity lights(if you have them) brake lights license plate lights revers lights), cruise control, air conditioner (once car is at a proper temperature the car should blow hot air quickly and should be hot, if not something could be wrong the with the temp sensors which could really bad)

During driving expectations ride should be somewhat smooth, when going over bumps if the car doesnt stop the rebound(stop bouncing) you could have a bad shock or spring. For our year cars, the transmission sometimes shifts rough do to year, the shifter might feel loose (this is another notorious problem with BD series legacys this can be fixed with a kartboy shifter bushing), idle the engine should sit around 700-900, if the engine seems to bog down, shiver or shake, there could be a vacuum problem which could be a simple hose replacement, brakes should be somewhat firm when pressing on them, find a straight road on the test drive and let go of the steering wheel the car should drive straight for the most part of it, if not this could be a that car needs an alignment, but if its really bad then most likely the car has been in a accident. Due to the car having framless doors at freeway speeds you might get more than expected wind noise, that is due the insulation around the doors, easy fix. when doing slow turns such as turning into a driveway, a u turn, listen to sounds, this could be that you have a torn cv boot, this can be checked by looking under the car right behind the front rotors is a rubber boot if its ripped it will need to be replaced these car seize up and stop working due to no grease in the boot.

Once done park the car not where it was first parked what a good 10-20minutes and check for oil leaking, open up the hood and check fluid levels again. check anything you might of noticed in test drive

If you can I highly recommend taking it to a mechanic and getting a prepurchase car check, with this ask for a compression test(since head gaskets is the biggest problem of the lgts the test will let know if gaskets are still doing their job aren't destroyed, it also helps to check condition of the pistons, rings, and cylinder walls.

This is all i can come up with at close to 5am hahahaha:lol: hope this helps if you read all or some of it

When I bought my 1999 Legacy gt there was no engine light on and it had around 95,000 miles, however; when i drove it to under a half tank the light came on and my fuel tack dropped. Come to find out that under half a tank one of my fuel sensor fails. Now i have to keep track of my miles, not a big deal but inconveinient and the check engine light is on a lot which freaks out passengers. Apprently it is a common problem and it runs you $300 plus for a new one. Just something to watch out for.

i bought a 97 gt a little while ago with 142000 on it for $2600. the check engine light could be a missing/broken O2 sensor, same thing with me and ive been fine so far. and by the way, he cant prove that theyre highway miles, theyre miles either way

i'd avoid it, unless you have big pockets filled with cash, don't go with your heart on cars go with what's right, motoway miles or not , you are only taking his word for it. seems alot of money for the miles, surely you can do better ?

hello all. first time poster, frequent (for a couple weeks) lurker.

I'm looking at a '96 GT Wagon with 83000K for......$2500 (adv for $2700).

All I could see when I went to see it was a low coolant reservoir (tank was a little dirty inside, but smelled like coolant to my untrain-ed nose) when cold, a little belt whine on start or rev, and some tapping during idle coming from right side. It's at a dealer (which makes me ?!? at price) so I can't get any personal experience info on it. He bought it wholesale.

The NADAguides.com check says it's clean with a two owner history. (scored a 48, whatever that means).

I was looking at a '96 L from an owner with 158K, new axles, water pump and tires for $1700and a 2002 GT with 160K that's been knocked around in both sides and took a good jab to the chin (cracked grill) but ran fine.

Any thoughts?

I couldn't find a GT Wagon 5 spd around here for NUTHIN.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jantzen8895 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

Get it man:) Subarus go forever, don't trip about the miles. Mine is a theft recovery with like 132,00 miles on the car and a new engine with like 40,000. Going on about 2 years with it now and the only problem i've had is a new battery and my sunroof needs to be fixed

So...

do you drive it like they stole it?

;)

Archived