LegacyGT.com

Where is the Stage 2 Map?

I recently installed a cat less downpipe on my 12 Legacy GT it's going to be a while until I can get in for a pro tune so I'd like to load an off the shelf tune that will suppress the cat warning CEL as well as compensate for the additional exhaust flow in the tune.

I see a stage 2 map on Cobb's website for the 2010 and 2011 Legacy GT but nothing for the 2012. Can any one help me out here?

I would take a gander to say Cobb does not support Stg 2 for a 2012- and I am guessing because they do not make a down pipe for it- but odd they don't for the 2010/2011 either but provide maps for them....

You may have to get an e-tune from someone from it in the short term.

Or call COBB to see what's up.

Someone with more experience with a Gen 5 LGT will probably chime in shortly....

I would take a gander to say Cobb does not support Stg 2 for a 2012- and I am guessing because they do not make a down pipe for it- but odd they don't for the 2010/2011 either but provide maps for them....

You may have to get an e-tune from someone from it in the short term.

Or call COBB to see what's up.

Someone with more experience with a Gen 5 LGT will probably chime in shortly....

Yup, only support catted DP.

You can contact Logan. He's a 5th gen owner and member here. He can probably set you up with an e-tune quickly and for a reasonable price.

http://legacygt.com/forums/member.php?u=23387

https://www.facebook.com/mcdowelltuning

Yep, as everyone said, our 2012's are rare and although it would seem that you could use a 2011 map, my understanding is that there are some significantly different things on the 2012's that make a 2011 map impossible to work. Hit up Logan McDowell and he will get you taken care of with a Stage2 E-tune.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-old-tuning-vendor-mcdowell-performance-tuning-219491.html?t=219491

Apparently Cobb doesn't know why a stage II map isnt posted for the 12LGT. They were even more puzzled that a stage II map is posted for the 10 &11 since they dont make a downpipe for those cars.

I guess ill just live with the flashing CEL's and no cruise control until I get a pro tune from TurboXS in march.

Apparently Cobb doesn't know why a stage II map isnt posted for the 12LGT. They were even more puzzled that a stage II map is posted for the 10 &11 since they dont make a downpipe for those cars.

I guess ill just live with the flashing CEL's and no cruise control until I get a pro tune from TurboXS in march.

They used other 5th gen owner's cars to release the map. With the dual AVCS and gear independant maps, it took a while for Cobb and supporting tuners to release the first Stage I map. EFI Logics was instrumental in the development with a 5th gen owner with the screen name SuBiElOvEr.

My 2010 GT, via EFI Logics and Cobb was the first Stage II 5th Gen with a 3" DP. There were no downpipes on the market then; a few of us has a forum member hand-fabricate the 3" bellmouth DP. For 2011, Cobb got a member to visit a Cobb location for the 2011 Stage I and II maps and 2012 Stage I maps. It just never materialized for Stage II.

Additionally, the Stage II OTS maps really did not provide a bump up in performance. It makes more sense to pro tune. Get a safe tune that gets you to the tuner and get the pro tune to get the safest tune for your car. Adding a high flow dry filter, Rx charge pipe and maybe a TMIC is the way to go.

Yeah looking at the numbers it's a much bigger jump in hp/TQ going from stock to stage 1 OTS. A stage 2 pro tune will give bigger gains than the OTS and be specific to your car, which is always a better idear.

• 1 year later...

what a joke. just spent $650 on an AP for my 12LGT along with 1300 for turbo back invidia exhaust, only to find this post after installing. I cant believe they don't have a stage 2 map for it. ill call rallysport direct and see if I can send this POS back for a full refund. I am also getting the CEL for p0420 and pretty pissed that they don't have a OTS stage 2 tune. looks like ill have to get a pro-tune done. WTF

guess this will be a free bump also, and hopefully save someone else with a 12LGT from wasting their money on an AP if they were planning on going stage 2

I can understand your frustration on spending that kind of money on something and not being able to go straight to stage II. But the information has been here all along and it's also pretty clear on Cobb's site that there isn't a stage II OTS map for MY'12 LGT's. With 227 cars ever being made in North America they did not feel the need to focus thier efforts twards this as it takes a lot of investment to create an OTS map and if it has a low ROI then you have to decide what's best for your business. With that said OTS stage II literally has little-to-no gains over OTS stage I so you should have planned for a pro-tune going stage II anyways. Atleast that's what most of the other '12 owners have/are doing. And fyi most "pro-tuners" are going to need to utilize the AP to tune your car, there's not much opensource or alternative tuning methods available for the 5th gen.

Still have to buy the cable and download thee programs and then grow a pair big enough to overcome the possibility of bricking your ecu or blowing your engine...get the etune with the accessport. I don't think there are many vendors doing open source tunes on the 5th gen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Still have to buy the cable and download thee programs and then grow a pair big enough to overcome the possibility of bricking your ecu or blowing your engine...get the etune with the accessport. I don't think there are many vendors doing open source tunes on the 5th gen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sure, I understand the opinions may vary. In my opinion, if there is a compete open source def for your car, it is no more challenging that AP and the risk of bricking is absolutely no greater than when using AP. Additionally, in my opinion, OTS maps are a poor choice, unless the vendor supplies the parts and the OTS map is specific to those parts.

Further clarification: you only need one program,i.e., ecuflash, to download/flash/edit your rom. And, there are about a million different ways to log your canbus nowadays....

I was unaware if this existed and was in a finished state. I looked into OS tuning my '10 and talked with McDowell since he had his OS tuned at first. He said I would be better off going with the AP because the def for the '10 wasn't complete and had a major issue with DAM reseting every time you started the car (which has apparently been fixed now). I know there are a few whom are using OS tunes but in the case of my previous follow up post, trying to go stage II right out the gate with little to no knowledge of what it takes to do it properly, especially on a very rare '12 LGT, is simply the owners fault for not planning his path and you cannot blame Cobb or RSD for thier efforts. As most of us 5th gen owners that have 100+ posts have at the least 1 post stating "use the search box; read, read, and read some more; ask questions if you still aren't comfortable with what you have already read.". We're all here to help each other which is the entire purpose of most of the threads here, even the "cat scan results are in" thread in general chat that I recently stumbled upon [emoji1] . So please don't take offense to our suggestions and that AP isn't a $650 useless POS it is very useful, especially if you don't know jack about tuning in general and/or RomRaider, ECUFlash, etc because logs are not something you can do mentally bit are something you will need to understand and review constantly. So you either spend upwards of $400-$600+ on dedicated Open Source equipment ie pretty reliable tablet/laptop, Tactrix cable, and money set aside to buy a new ECU if you brick yours, and for a '12 it might not be so easy to find. So as most of us would suggest put the stock DP back on and keep your CBE installed, flash stage I and enjoy, then set up a dyno tune with DP install or install it the day before and drive it like a grandpa to the tuner.

Sure, I understand the opinions may vary. In my opinion, if there is a compete open source def for your car, it is no more challenging that AP and the risk of bricking is absolutely no greater than when using AP. Additionally, in my opinion, OTS maps are a poor choice, unless the vendor supplies the parts and the OTS map is specific to those parts.

Further clarification: you only need one program,i.e., ecuflash, to download/flash/edit your rom. And, there are about a million different ways to log your canbus nowadays....

You would have to try really hard to brick your ecu with an accessport, the tuning software is very explanatory especially going so far as to offer hints on what normal adjustments are and what to look for. It is an expensive piece of tech for a reason...it works well and has been tested thoroughly.

Nothing against opensource, but if you don't know what you are doing it would not be hard at all to mess up your rom or make changes to a table you shouldn't have, it is free for a reason, you assume all responsibility.

I agree, an ots tune is not ideal for anyone, but if you follow cobbs guidleines you can, at the minimum, run your car safely to a tuner or get an etune while having a driveable car.

I can understand your frustration on spending that kind of money on something and not being able to go straight to stage II. But the information has been here all along and it's also pretty clear on Cobb's site that there isn't a stage II OTS map for MY'12 LGT's. With 227 cars ever being made in North America they did not feel the need to focus thier efforts twards this as it takes a lot of investment to create an OTS map and if it has a low ROI then you have to decide what's best for your business. With that said OTS stage II literally has little-to-no gains over OTS stage I so you should have planned for a pro-tune going stage II anyways. Atleast that's what most of the other '12 owners have/are doing. And fyi most "pro-tuners" are going to need to utilize the AP to tune your car, there's not much opensource or alternative tuning methods available for the 5th gen.

Well I didn't see anything on their site when I was looking at the apv3. Every other Subaru they sell it for has a stage 2 OTS map, so it's bad business in my opinion that they don't make it for the 12. They have made millions with this product in profits, so it would only be right for them to offer the same options for every Subaru owner that purchases one, including us 227 that bought a 12... That's my opinion. Now I'll have to spend another $200-250 to get a custom stage 2 tune. If that's what it would cost them one time to have a stage 2 option, how is that a bad ROI when I just paid $650 for the unit, along with several other 12 owners...

They would almost certainly be losing money to spend the time making an OTS map for the '12 since they only support North American models. Yeah it's frustrating to find out afterward, but you should keep the AP for the datalogging capabilities plus you can setup gauges to monitor. Stage 2 is always pay to play and a pro tune should be on the list shortly after installing parts and flashing an OTS map. Yeah, it'll likely work ok, but it's not a custom fit for your car.

Well I didn't see anything on their site when I was looking at the apv3. Every other Subaru they sell it for has a stage 2 OTS map, so it's bad business in my opinion that they don't make it for the 12. They have made millions with this product in profits, so it would only be right for them to offer the same options for every Subaru owner that purchases one, including us 227 that bought a 12... That's my opinion. Now I'll have to spend another $200-250 to get a custom stage 2 tune. If that's what it would cost them one time to have a stage 2 option, how is that a bad ROI when I just paid $650 for the unit, along with several other 12 owners...

Making an OTS tune is not simple, the engineers have to plan for any and all climates and weather extremes in the market they are covering, which means the tune would have to work in the frozen tundra of Green Bay as well as it works in South Florida. Because unlike opensource, Cobb is putting their name behind that tune. Either way you were going to need a custom tune that is the reality of this expensive hobby known as modding cars. So for your $650 you have an easy way to keep tabs on what your car is doing as well as measure some performance parameters and change maps on the fly or reload your stock map without toting a laptop around in your car. As well as easy data-logging at the push of a button and launch control and flat foot shifting. You can even read and clear codes with it.

And you should also get a tune for 91, 93, or whatever fuel you use specifically.

Reads like a paid Cobb endorsement.... hahahah I don't disagree with any particular pro-AP point made here. It is a nice product that is priced about right (especially when comparing it to a tactrix dongle).

I was simply pointing out that a open source map exists for the 2012 LGT, that ECUflash isn't scary, that OTS maps aren't good if you care about your car, and that lots of cheap ways to log exist other than AP.

^^and where should you turn for help if that map that you got for free turns out to not be complete or somehow got corrupted in the download from the free website?

It's not a question of can you? But rather, should you? I didn't feel comfortable even datalogging or pulling my ROM and when I messaged some tuners they didn't offer OS tuning for the 5th gen, so an e tune was a moot point since it wasn't available.

I believe, that there are way too many bad tune horror stories out there for me to put my daily driver on the line to save a few hundred dollars and try to tune it myself or even using some tutorial on the internet. You get more with the AP no matter how you look at it, and you pay more for it. It's a trade-off I would make every time for ease of use and support, and if one day I feel froggy I can open up the software and make adjustments to my own tune, but probably not.

Archived