LegacyGT.com

What ATF for 2nd gen auto boxes

What transmission fluid does everyone use here? I've got a 98 Outback 2.5 auto with 216k miles. It shifts a little hard from 1-2 and sometimes there is a lag when you first put it in gear after it's sat for a while.

The above issues were worse when we got the car, but I picked up a case of wolfs head ATF from SAMs and replaced fluid a couple times already. I'm thinking it's time for a little better fluid for the next couple fluid changes. What do people use and what fluid so these trannys like?

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Yeah, I know the manual states dex2 or dex2e, however I was wondering what brands people have had good experience with.

Pennzoil seems to be readily available and not too expensive.

Mobile one synthetic or blend

Castoil

Or are people using amsoil or another more expensive fluid?

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

all 4eat in the 90s have a hard 1-2 shift. harder then other cars. i have read that it helps make them last longer, idk.

but my 97 GT(with a replacement trans) has a harder then normal 1-2 shift. i've changed the fluid w/ no improvement. i currently think it is dirty in the valve body but i have no real evidence.

the 99 auto trans has a known ''slow to engage'' problem which some have improved by using ''Trans-X'' fluid additive. i have not known 98s to have the problem. so maybe trans-x will help. idk. do a drain and fill, 3 times with driving in between to mix the fluid if you want to replace most of the fluid, and include a bottle of trans-x on the last fill, if you want to try it. if it doesn't help, you might start saving for a replacement. it will not heal it self.

by the way, trans-x is the only additive i would ever put in a trans and only for this problem. they were designed to run on dex2 , and dex3 will work just fine. wally world fluid is as good as any as long as you don't let it wear out.

let me know if you get any improvement on the hard 1-2 shift. i'm considering replacing the valve body in mine.

well, just replacing the fluid with the cheap wolfs head helped in both areas, but I've noticed it was better in warmer weather over the summer so I was thinking maybe a little bit better fluid would help. If not, I don't plan on replacing the tranny.

I'm probably going to change the oil next weekend and already have the oil, but was going to pick up some ATF today to do a drain/fill at the same time as the oil change.

Be careful. If that is thicker than Dexron II, you're gonna know it right away (never tried Royal Purple ATF) with very stubborn shifts.

Yeah we will see how it goes. The thing is already feeling like it slips. But the AWD kicks in pretty much right away (176k miles).

I read somewhere where others have had it take 2-3 seconds for the back end to engage. I stood outside of the car and had a friend punch the gas on the snow and the back end kicked in right away.

I read this means that the transmission is somewhat in an okay condition. So if worse comes to worse I just buy a lower mile trans or do that 5 speed swap this summer if money allows.

Yeah we will see how it goes. The thing is already feeling like it slips. But the AWD kicks in pretty much right away (176k miles).

I read somewhere where others have had it take 2-3 seconds for the back end to engage. I stood outside of the car and had a friend punch the gas on the snow and the back end kicked in right away.

I read this means that the transmission is somewhat in an okay condition. So if worse comes to worse I just buy a lower mile trans or do that 5 speed swap this summer if money allows.

all 4 wheels should receive power all the time. Subarus aren't like some AWD adapted FWD drivetrains where the rear wheels only get power when the front wheels slip.

Yes they are solo. the non VTD 4EAT transmission is primarily FWD with a clutch pack that engages the rear drive when it senses slip. The difference with the Subaru system is that it monitors more variables to attempt to anticipate when the AWD will be needed. My car is currently FWD until I can find the time to open it up to replace the Duty-C solenoid and transfer valve.

all 4 wheels should receive power all the time. Subarus aren't like some AWD adapted FWD drivetrains where the rear wheels only get power when the front wheels slip.

In the 90's this is exactly how they worked. 90/10 split. For AUTO's at least.

Yes, the autos are FWD biased, but all 4 wheels receive power all the time when working properly. My 06 Legacy 2.5i 5MT is much better in the snow even though it has lower ground clearance due to the 50/50 split.

But back on topic. Let's talk ATF

the trans holds about 10 qts. 2.5L cars more than 2.2L cars since the torque converter is larger. if parked on level ground, draining, through the trans oil pan drain plug, will get you ~3.5 qts. maybe a little more, but not a lot. if the front of the car is elevated you will get a little more fluid.

the second gen cars don't have ''spin on filters''. they didn't add that to the trans until the phase 2 4eat auto trans in 99. and the internal ''filter'' is only a screen and never needs changing. so don't let anyone tell you different or talk you into paying to drop the pan and change the filter.

the trans holds about 10 qts. 2.5L cars more than 2.2L cars since the torque converter is larger. if parked on level ground, draining, through the trans oil pan drain plug, will get you ~3.5 qts. maybe a little more, but not a lot. if the front of the car is elevated you will get a little more fluid.

the second gen cars don't have ''spin on filters''. they didn't add that to the trans until the phase 2 4eat auto trans in 99. and the internal ''filter'' is only a screen and never needs changing. so don't let anyone tell you different or talk you into paying to drop the pan and change the filter.

no one talked me into it, i dont bring my cars to shops ever unless its someone i really trust. after the whole drama with my mercedes ive been real cautious about shops. i did a fluid and filter change last night, ive changed tje fluid a few times and its redder then it was. when i dropped the pan the screen on the filter had a good amount of metal shards in it. on my other cars with the same style filter i usually change them when i do the fluid. i drove the car around last night and it felt a lot smoother then it was.

Archived